PDA

View Full Version : Remington RSASS

trunkmonkey
08-27-2012, 13:03
I am posting a query to the gun gurus on this board regarding the RSASS. I have the option of purchasing a NIB RSASS from a class 3 dealer that bought too many for the whopping price of 1200 dollars.

Task: Engage varmints ranging in size from armadillo to Coyote and hopefully a mountain lion if I get the shot lined up.

Condition: Motor vehicle use is prohibited and rifle and all gear needed for up to 1 week will be carried. Terran will vary from desert to dense woods, although not in the same outing.

Standard: Take ethical shots up to 800 yds. Paper targets to 1000 yds.

I usually take a shooting position from the top of an oil storage tank or high hill. Target rages will vary throughout the range of the rifle.I do understand that even with a precision rifle the shot is the responsibility of the shooter. I will do my part and not engage outside MY maximum effective range. There may be a need for close range reflexive fire at mountain lions (it has been needed before).

Would you buy this rifle?
How would you equip it for the given scenario?

My initial thoughts are to buy this rifle and top it with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 with M2 dials. For a mount I would go with a Larue SPR mount. It has been recommended to mount a DR sight at 1 o'clock on the rail or directly over the scope for reflexive fire. I figure that I will also put a Harris bipod on the front and cap it with a AAC suppressor. I would usually not consider the can but my son is almost old enough to go and his hearing is important.

I would like to keep the cost as low as possible while keeping all parts of a quality that you would take into the field for combat.

As always you will be traveling with your trusty HKUSP45 with RBCD ammo.

Buffalobob
08-27-2012, 18:53
First off, a 308 with an 18-22 inch barrel is not an 800 yard varmint rifle. You need a different cartridge for that work. A 800 yard varmint cartridge is likely to be a barrel burning SOB.

Secondly, a 10X scope is not a 800 yard varmint scope, you should be up to at least 20X.

Peregrino
08-27-2012, 21:08
Nice rifle, good price, shot one about nine months ago and liked it. Totally not for what you've listed (as BB said - wrong cartridge, wrong scope). You may also find the M2 (1/2 MOA) knobs are a bit "coarse" for low percentage shots at extreme (for cartridge) range. It is a sweet designated marksman rifle and will be gross overkill for tacticool matches and deer sized game harvested within the limits of your skills. Usual disclaimer - MOO, YMMV.

tunanut
08-30-2012, 08:49
Not my type of precision rifle, but you could re-barrel it with a 8.5 twist 6mm chambered in 243 and shoot 105's a tad over 3000fps without too much fuss. After speaking with a Remington riflesmith, they are having accuracy issues with this rifle and you'd likely want to re-barrel anyway. A 6-24X will help you get your job done. You'll need to keep your COAL around 2.8 to feed reliably, but no other mods will be needed. I shoot my 243 out to 850 regularly with ridiculous accuracy.

On another note, I hear that is one of the best weapons in Call of Duty. Especially with a silencer.