PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Chaos

molsen
10-18-2004, 00:25
Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces by Linda Robinson

I just picked this book up last night at Barnes and Knobles. Anyone seen or heard of it?

D9 (RIP)
10-18-2004, 14:00
I was just given a copy today at work by a colleague as a going away present. I'm a little disturbed by the rogue's gallery of leftists who have given this book praise, but I've read the introduction and so far so good.

We'll see though, any book on the military that gets high praise from the left's intelligentsia is suspect. Hopefully, this is a false alarm and the book turns out pretty well.

AmericanPride
10-19-2004, 08:24
I picked the book up as well the other day but haven't been able to do much reading yet. The schedule has been a bit hectic here.

Achilles
10-19-2004, 13:28
I heard it was good by an SF Officer who is in graduate school here. I'll probably give it a read when I have time.

SERPENT5XX
11-17-2004, 13:56
"Masters of Chaos"

Just picked up a copy of “Masters of Chaos”.
I have not read it yet but while paging through I saw some interesting stories. In fact one was about my ODA’s mission! I found out the only guy on the ODA that talked to the author was the TM LDR, so of course he is the main character. In fact he is the only character and it reads like he did the whole mission himself! :rolleyes:

The ODA got a good laugh out of that one!

Not bad though as far as accuracy of the first part of the mission. It was described in general but certain key facts we left out to preserve TTP’s and such. I will say I am very uncomfortable with all the names and pictures used. I may be paranoid (I do not think they are out to get me I KNOW they are out to get me!) but I think providing all this info so easily is going to come back to haunt us some day. Homeland security spends incredible resources guarding bridges, tunnels and buildings. Imagine the effect if a couple of military families get murdered by islamists. Imagine a video of it on the internet. The average military guy, SF or other wise is going to be spending his time thinking about the safety of his family not the task at hand. I do not think we could possibly safeguard the dependents against this threat short of bringing them all on post. Imagine when your wife is told her and the kids will now be residing in a nice comfy GP-medium in the parade field for the next several years! :mad:

The cost to the islamists would be small but the effect would be HUGE.

Like I said, I may be paranoid but I think whoever approved this book was only thinking of the short term effects like recruiting and money but NOT the long term as far as GWOT and the next how ever many years we fight these boy-buggering idiots.

I thought part of being a “Quiet Professional” was that you did your job with the knowledge that there would be no recognition of you doing it. (Unless you screwed up of course! :D )
Just my $.02.

SERPENT5XX

Roguish Lawyer
11-17-2004, 23:50
Serpent:

I hope they do not clue in, by reading this thread or otherwise. I am not a target, but I am trying to provide my family with basic training anyway. Hopefully Catwoman will accept lessons from TS . . .

I have been dumbfounded by the seeming inability of the Salafi Jihadists to follow up on 9-11. Either we are good or lucky or just premature.

SERPENT5XX
11-18-2004, 07:04
Roguish Lawyer:

The problem is they already have the idea.

They do it every day in Iraq. They terrorize Iraqis into not cooperating with the US. Why do you think they are constantly attacking the Iraqi police stations? The message is clear.

It is not the idea we need to fear anymore it is the ability to carry that idea to fruition.

Hopefully it has been a case of us being good. I really doubt it though. I believe it is probably more of a matter of time. The idea of time is completely different in the middle-eastern mind. Many islamists that I talked to see the attacks being done by the islamists as the next phase in the battle we call the crusades. They still are pissed off about us driving them out of Spain and stopping them at the gates of Vienna. That stuff is ancient history to the average American. Not to the islamists, they talk about it like we do yesterday’s football game.

I am completely in agreement with you as far as preparing your family to protect themselves. Security starts with each individual and spreads out from there. Being ready and able to assume responsibility to protect yourself is an important part of being an American.

I am going to help my family by keeping my name out of books, articles, and interviews!

Most people will think you and I are being paranoid for worrying about this but imagine how the average person would have reacted on 10 September 2001 if you would have expressed worry about terrorists hijacking several planes and flying them into important and symbolic structures in the US? You would have been recommended for a urinalysis!

SERPENT5XX

optactical
12-14-2004, 21:22
I haven't read it yet, but had a sneak peak at a buddy's copy. Looks like a really good read.

MSG (Ret) Mike Swift, one of the 5th SFG guys in the book was my DS back in '96.

It is next on the reading list.

jatx
12-15-2004, 10:15
I just finished it. I'm not in a position to say how accurate the book is, but it is very well-written and a real page turner. The author follows a small number of SF men through their careers as the vehicle for explaining what SF is, how it is used, and how the institution has changed over time. For me, that approach helped to personalize the story. The flip side is that each of the episodes described in the book are coming from one or two men's perspective. So, if you're looking for a "definitive history", this book will disappoint you. OTOH, I enjoyed it a lot and learned quite a bit.

stanley_white
12-16-2004, 19:45
"Masters of Chaos"

I may be paranoid (I do not think they are out to get me I KNOW they are out to get me!) but I think providing all this info so easily is going to come back to haunt us some day. Homeland security spends incredible resources guarding bridges, tunnels and buildings. Imagine the effect if a couple of military families get murdered by islamists. Imagine a video of it on the internet. The average military guy, SF or other wise is going to be spending his time thinking about the safety of his family not the task at hand. I do not think we could possibly safeguard the dependents against this threat short of bringing them all on post. Imagine when your wife is told her and the kids will now be residing in a nice comfy GP-medium in the parade field for the next several years! :mad:

At my current place of employment one of the courses I teach is Surveillance Detection (SD). I am currently single with no children.

Some of the folks I train are going to areas with their family members. As an experiment I worked with my God Daughter who is six years old to see how easy it would be to teach SD TTPs to people with no training. You would be surprised just how well she picked up on the basics.

One of the things I encourage my students to do is to think of their entire family as part of one big Surveillance Detection Team and to train them accordingly. If I can get my six year old God Daughter to detect our role players we use for our exercises than anyone can train their families to do it.

Sweetbriar
12-18-2004, 14:22
Linda Robinson (the author) will be on CSPAN2 tomorrow, Sunday, 1615-1715. Internet streaming is available if you do not have it on your cable.

While I'm making one of my frequent CSPAN plugs, I'll bring up the subject of Thomas Barnett, C-SPAN SPECIAL
"The Pentagon's New Map"*
C-SPAN is hosting a special program with Thomas P.M. Barnett, author of the book "The Pentagon's New Map." This work is a study of how globalization affects U.S. national security. In this show we'll air a tape of Barnett giving a briefing that inspired the book, followed by an hour of your LIVE viewer calls.
MONDAY, C-SPAN, 8PM ET.

Have your questions ready and maybe you'll get thru!

Edit: Oh, yeah, 30 minutes regarding post election analysis with the Onion and The Daily Show 1 AM Sunday morning on CSPAN2. NDD, you gonna be up then?

lrd
12-19-2004, 06:53
I am completely in agreement with you as far as preparing your family to protect themselves. Security starts with each individual and spreads out from there. Being ready and able to assume responsibility to protect yourself is an important part of being an American.

I am going to help my family by keeping my name out of books, articles, and interviews!

Most people will think you and I are being paranoid for worrying about this but imagine how the average person would have reacted on 10 September 2001 if you would have expressed worry about terrorists hijacking several planes and flying them into important and symbolic structures in the US? You would have been recommended for a urinalysis!

SERPENT5XXThat's why requests like this bother me:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/dutyiniraq/dutyiniraq2004.html

Sweetbriar
12-20-2004, 19:52
Barnett is briefing on Cspan right now. Whether or not you agree with his conclusions, he'll make you think. He's great fun (if you like that sort of thing). I enjoy him immensely, even with my limited capacities.

Roguish Lawyer
12-20-2004, 19:56
I ordered it, but it is pretty far down the list at the moment. I'll post thoughts after I read it.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-22-2004, 17:37
"Masters of Chaos"

Just picked up a copy of “Masters of Chaos”.
I have not read it yet but while paging through I saw some interesting stories. In fact one was about my ODA’s mission! I found out the only guy on the ODA that talked to the author was the TM LDR, so of course he is the main character. In fact he is the only character and it reads like he did the whole mission himself! :rolleyes:

The ODA got a good laugh out of that one!

Not bad though as far as accuracy of the first part of the mission. It was described in general but certain key facts we left out to preserve TTP’s and such. I will say I am very uncomfortable with all the names and pictures used. I may be paranoid (I do not think they are out to get me I KNOW they are out to get me!) but I think providing all this info so easily is going to come back to haunt us some day. Homeland security spends incredible resources guarding bridges, tunnels and buildings. Imagine the effect if a couple of military families get murdered by islamists. Imagine a video of it on the internet. The average military guy, SF or other wise is going to be spending his time thinking about the safety of his family not the task at hand. I do not think we could possibly safeguard the dependents against this threat short of bringing them all on post. Imagine when your wife is told her and the kids will now be residing in a nice comfy GP-medium in the parade field for the next several years! :mad:

The cost to the islamists would be small but the effect would be HUGE.

Like I said, I may be paranoid but I think whoever approved this book was only thinking of the short term effects like recruiting and money but NOT the long term as far as GWOT and the next how ever many years we fight these boy-buggering idiots.

I thought part of being a “Quiet Professional” was that you did your job with the knowledge that there would be no recognition of you doing it. (Unless you screwed up of course! :D )
Just my $.02.

SERPENT5XX

Yes, there are a number of photos inside the book. The paper cover has (4) SF soldiers two of which facial features can sort of be seen, but have been shown on TV news in the past. I, can't see them being ID'ed. (Between the beards, sunglasses and shadows one would have a hard time ID'ing them. Some of the picture inside of the book of course could be ID'ed.)

They must have all signed a release for their pictures to be shown in the book. So, I guess they must know the risks involved if any.

I just got the book in the mail yesterday and have not finished it, but so far it's a good read! :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
02-04-2005, 11:08
I started it yesterday. Got through Just Cause. Very good read so far.

dennisw
02-05-2005, 19:18
I finished the book a few weeks ago, enjoyed it very much. I'm not sure if it provides too much information. However, I thought chapter 16 was of interest. The author discusses Major General Lambert's recipe for fighting and winning asymmetric warfare in the future and the perspective role of sf. According to General Lambert and I'm quoting the author: "The Special Forceswould have permanent assignment to watch the hundred-plus terrorist groups and insurgencies around the world; to learn everthing about them - the interactions among them, the newly emerging groups and the constantly evolving asymmetric tactics. When a threat to U.S. interest appeared, it would be the job of the Special Forces to raise the flag and propose a couse of action to the national leadership....". "Special operations forces - the umbrella term for all the services'commando forces - would play two types of roles in such a broadened prevention-based strategy, roles which can be characterized as direct and indirect approaches." "It is not difficult to discern a natural division of labor. " In essence, SF would have a indirect role and be the "permanent warchers of insurgents, terrorists, and asymmetric tactics and the conductor of unconventional warfare". On page 363 she states that direct action missions would be undertaken by Delta, Seals and Rangers.

dennisw
02-05-2005, 19:22
Not to belabor the point, but i'm not sure how this division of labor would be greeted. In August my wife and I had the opportunity to listen to a presentation by General Byran Brown to the World Affairs Council. Our host thought we would be interested as both are sons are 18x.

He provided a organization chart showing the various groups under the special ops banner. I was struct at the time that it would appear the Seals were somewhat out of place or left without a mission. Maybe General Lambert's view solves this problem, but it may create some unhappy campers.

SERPENT5XX
02-06-2005, 11:17
dennisw,

Right now there are two theories on what SF should be doing in GWOT.

One is that SF should develop AND prosecute targets and the other theory is that SF should ONLY develop targets and then hand off those targets for some other entity to prosecute. I believe the “develop only” technique is misguided and inefficient. I have seen first hand that the successes OCONUS have been primarily coming from the first method. The “develop only” guys have their reasons for why they want to do that method, but I believe they stem from all the wrong reasons.

It has never been profitable when SF works itself in to just one very narrow line of work (the “mission” of coalition support for example).

I believe we are best off staying true to all of our core missions and DA is one of those.

SERPENT5XX

Jgood
03-21-2005, 13:26
I just finished reading the book and enjoyed it very much... it gave me more drive to complete my goal and some day hopefully work with men of the caliber who were in the book..But i agree with SERPENT5XX about possible effects later on.

I am just a joe right now and i worry about some one targeting my family as a soft target, I spent 2 years as force protection at a base and saw just how soft our families are...

Roguish Lawyer
05-18-2005, 13:27
OK, I just finished it after a long delay in between start and finish. Liked it. In the last chapter, she raises a number of interesting issues which might be good threads here. For example, she has theories about what went wrong in Iraq and where SF should go from here. I will try to remember to start some threads, but no time right now. One question, allegedly raised by GEN Lambert, is whether ODAs should include or have use of (through attachments or whatever) women and foreign nationals to better accomplish their missions.

Now I'm going to try to finish Ghost Wars.

Cosmic Trigger
05-19-2005, 07:27
I just saw the book in borders yesterday. Very cool cover. All I could think about was the blood vessels bursting in a CJSOTF Sergeant Major's head when he sees those beards. IF YOU THINK YOU'RE COMING ON TO CAMP VANCE LOOKING LIKE THAT YOU'RE HIGH ON WOMBAT SHIT!!! ;)

Bill Harsey
06-15-2005, 19:36
Just finished the book.

My 9 year old daughter didn't know knifemakers could read.

jonn_07
07-06-2005, 19:45
A very good read. Very informative on the ways and bonds of the Special Forces to those who aren't. :)

jonn_07
07-06-2005, 19:46
Attention to detail. Enough said. :lifter

GTRich
07-07-2005, 18:37
I thought it was a good read but I had a tough time keeping track of all the different characters.

seelow
10-26-2005, 14:21
Hi,

this is my first post (besides my intro in the relevant thread), so I hope I won't commit to many faux-pas.

I just finished Masters of Chaos, by Linda Robinson. It was great read, and I was wondering what the QP around here thought about it.

I thought it was very insightful, but only from an outsider's perspective, so I'm looking for feedback from the other side of the fence to compare a bit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cheers, and be safe

Roguish Lawyer
10-26-2005, 14:29
seelow:

Please use the search button to see whether a question already has been answered before asking it. Thanks.

seelow
10-26-2005, 14:31
seelow:

Please use the search button to see whether a question already has been answered before asking it. Thanks.

Dang...so much for the faux-pas...:o

Sorry about that, should have searched thoroughly first.

Thank you for moving it to the appropriate thread.

Cheers, and be safe.

BMT (RIP)
11-13-2005, 18:47
I liked the part about the "SNOWBALL"!! Anyone want to drfine a Snowball?

BMT

Stiletto11
12-04-2005, 19:05
I found it interesting that one of the two admitted to cheating on his land nav test by getting a ride from a guy in a truck. How did he know it wasn't cadre setting a trap? The reason I bring this up is they claimed RV sitters were hiding in bush piles etc.

Bill Harsey
12-04-2005, 19:28
I found it interesting that one of the two admitted to cheating on his land nav test by getting a ride from a guy in a truck. How did he know it wasn't cadre setting a trap? The reason I bring this up is they claimed RV sitters were hiding in bush piles etc.

Maybe the guy who admitted cheating on his land nav class was lying to the author to get someone in the cadre in the "stuff" for personal reasons.

Roguish Lawyer
12-04-2005, 20:05
It's only cheating if you get caught.

Aequitas
12-04-2005, 21:03

It's funny you mention "traps." In my class we had a cadre member cammo up and literally sleep in a sleeping bag on the edge of the road at one of the more nasty draws. He tied 550 cord from one side of the road to the other at about shin height. His side was tied off to a bush that would whack him in the face to wake him up when some poor unsuspecting RK was running down the roads. Three kids got caught that night by that guy IIRC.

Team Sergeant
12-05-2005, 09:00
One of the guys in the book is a member on here.;) And lives a few miles from me....

Phantom
12-29-2005, 17:03
That's why requests like this bother me:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/dutyiniraq/dutyiniraq2004.html

Did you see the one of the Marine "SGT" with full name and initial listed, wearing what looks like LCPL on his sage ballistic vest over his digi's, with a combo of woodland and sage mag pouches, standing with hands in his pockets between two iraqi national guardsmen, one of whom seemed to lack nearly as much SA as the Marine, and the other who looked like he'd like to kill everyone there, if he could get away with it and there wasn't a camera in his face?

Blarney
12-29-2005, 20:40
Just returned it back to the library, for a civilians perspective, it does say a lot, but nothing I can't look up to see on the internet. I'm suprised with the information that was presented and I liked reading the book. I was perplexed by the amount of names given. She even presented their names in the beginning of the book. Still, good page turner, I hardly put it down.

On a side note, Also read through "Down Range" a book that catologues the SEALS, that was pretty good too and the cover art was a funny thing to look at too. Just a suggestion to others that want to read of the other SOF personnel.

NousDefionsDoc
05-27-2006, 14:29
Read the first three chapters last night and it is already pissing me off.

Roguish Lawyer
05-27-2006, 17:12

Why? :munchin

Monsoon65
05-28-2006, 17:08
I read the book last month and thought it was really good.

BUT, I do remember when I took the ISOC (Introduction to Special Operations Course) and the SF member giving the briefing mentioned that there were a fair amount of OPSEC violations in the first chapter.

Solid
05-30-2006, 06:54
I second the lawyer's inquiry!

I generally keep away from these kind of books (especially after reading Imperial Grunts) because while filled with interesting stories I find that the authors often get carried away with broad conceptual arguments of which they (according to those that know more than me) have a poor understanding.

Always fun to read, though.

Solid

Warrior-Mentor
06-07-2006, 01:03

What's up NDD? I just picked up a copy..haven't started it yet...what's chapping your saddle?

bberkley
06-30-2006, 08:01
I just finished it last night. I thought it was a great book. Lots of stuff I hadn't read about before, especially the early infils and the Scud Hunting operation.

PSYOP Rob
06-30-2006, 08:13
I just finished it also, decent read.

Wha Daur
06-30-2006, 09:02
In the process of reading it now, so far only some slight problems with it. Non concerning the US SF, in fact Im learning quite a bit more than I thought I knew. This may sound a little picky, but did anyone find that if you had no clue who the author was, you could still easily figure it out to be a woman (nothing bad in that, just some of the wording now and then).

I was a little taken aback about the PERSEC, the names, photos well said to much.

Other than that Im enjoying it so far.

CRad
07-05-2006, 23:01
This may sound a little picky, but did anyone find that if you had no clue who the author was, you could still easily figure it out to be a woman (nothing bad in that, just some of the wording now and then).

Here's what my husband said one time about books on special operations - "the problem with books like that is they are written by people who have never actually done the job."

And yes, Linda Robinson is a woman. She's blonde and I didn't like her very much which may also sound a little picky.

Roycroft201
07-05-2006, 23:25
I have picked it up and started it several times, only to lose interest and put it back down.

Cincinnatus
07-06-2006, 06:40
NDD,

You gonna elaborate or keep us all in suspense?

NousDefionsDoc
07-06-2006, 10:46
Suspense

Cincinnatus
07-06-2006, 14:16
Budda-Boom.

Will you be here all week?

Richard
07-06-2006, 18:44
Actually, I thought it was a pretty good read.

vsvo
07-21-2006, 15:07
Lots of stuff I hadn't read about before, especially the early infils and the Scud Hunting operation.
I agree, I learned a lot about the missions early in OIF, as well as the Balkans. I finally finished it, after picking it up and putting it down for other books several times. I enjoyed it, I just had a problem keeping track of the timelines in the narrative. I am also in suspense awaiting NDD's comments.

hoot72
11-19-2006, 02:35
I actually finished reading Masters of Chaos a half year back..a decent read.

Simple Simon
11-19-2006, 08:56
Old post, but I bought the book last week. I am half way through it and it is a good read so far. I like how the author breaks down the chapters by conflict. I felt more of the book should have dedicated to A-stan however.

Warrior-Mentor
11-19-2006, 20:25
Met Linda Robinson at a conference a couple weeks back. She said she meant it as a good news story about SF and I believe her.

Unfortunately, didn't know I was going to meet her, so it's still in my "TO READ" pile on the night stand.

Maybe I'll finish it before runing into her again...

LongWire
11-21-2006, 18:33
* From an earlier Quote *

We used to keep a copy of that in the team room for comic relief........whenever we needed a laugh someone would open it and read a random paragraph from some random page, we would all laugh for about 5 mins and then go back to work!!!!!!

It helps when you actually know the guys its written about. Most of that book was somewhat embellished!!!!!

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12278

SF18C
01-16-2007, 20:40

Okay this is an old thread, I know! But I just read this book and thought it was okay, not great or life changing, just okay.

Here is my take...OPSEC violations out the wazoo, PERSEC issues all over the place and some good story telling to be sure. I am sure that these types of books must go thru some sort of PAO review, right?

But on the bright side if some kid reads this and aspires to become a QP then great.

One of my “bosses” is a figure in this book so that is kinda funny…I am going back looking for quotes to harass him later.

Now to the bigger question...NDD you never did state why this was pissing you off!

NousDefionsDoc
01-16-2007, 20:43
Okay this is an old thread, I know! But I just read this book and thought it was okay, not great or life changing, just okay.

Here is my take...OPSEC violations out the wazoo, PERSEC issues all over the place and some good story telling to be sure. I am sure that these types of books must go thru some sort of PAO review, right?

But on the bright side if some kid reads this and aspires to become a QP then great.

One of my “bosses” is a figure in this book so that is kinda funny…I am going back looking for quotes to harass him later.

Now to the bigger question...NDD you never did state why this was pissing you off!
You just did. And very eloquently I might add.

greenberetTFS
02-01-2012, 13:16
I finished the book a few weeks ago, enjoyed it very much. I'm not sure if it provides too much information. However, I thought chapter 16 was of interest. The author discusses Major General Lambert's recipe for fighting and winning asymmetric warfare in the future and the perspective role of sf. According to General Lambert and I'm quoting the author: "The Special Forceswould have permanent assignment to watch the hundred-plus terrorist groups and insurgencies around the world; to learn everthing about them - the interactions among them, the newly emerging groups and the constantly evolving asymmetric tactics. When a threat to U.S. interest appeared, it would be the job of the Special Forces to raise the flag and propose a couse of action to the national leadership....". "Special operations forces - the umbrella term for all the services'commando forces - would play two types of roles in such a broadened prevention-based strategy, roles which can be characterized as direct and indirect approaches." "It is not difficult to discern a natural division of labor. " In essence, SF would have a indirect role and be the "permanent warchers of insurgents, terrorists, and asymmetric tactics and the conductor of unconventional warfare." On page 363 she states that direct action missions would be undertaken by Delta, Seals and Rangers.

Since when?.......:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

dennisw
02-01-2012, 18:48
[/COLOR][/B]

Since when?.......:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

Most the information on the future of SF appears to come from the author's interview with General Lambert which took place in 2004. So they were looking at be post 2004. In the information above, I paraphrased the author. Her entire quote is as follows and I believe the overall concept can be attributed to General Lamber, and it appears obvious that the author agrees with this premise:

It is not difficult to discern a natural division of labor. The selection and training of some special operations forces are focused solely on raiding or direct-action types of missions. These SOF include Navy SEALs, Rangers and Delta Force (formerly Operational Detachment-Delta or SFOD-D), supported by special aviators. The U.S. Army Special Forces, while they are trained and able to conduct raids, are focused on a much broader array of tasks in the unconventional warfare spectrum. They have language skills and cultural training. If the need to conduct raids arises in the course of their mission they are perfectly able to carry them out. But if a mission, such as the capture of a high-value target, requires the most sophisticated raiding skills, then those who train exclusively for those evenualities are the logical force of choice.

From an outsider's view, when looking at recent history it appears that this is where SOF has moved.

Peregrino
02-01-2012, 19:18
And (believe it or not) that's a good thing - it's even more applicable to our near term (next 10-15 years) future as the Regiment looks for relevance beyond the missions of the previous 10 years. Lambert is something of a "mixed bag" but in this, he's right. I'm not so sure about the author of this book though.

dennisw
02-02-2012, 07:53
And (believe it or not) that's a good thing - it's even more applicable to our near term (next 10-15 years) future as the Regiment looks for relevance beyond the missions of the previous 10 years. Lambert is something of a "mixed bag" but in this, he's right. I'm not so sure about the author of this book though.

Your perspective is very interesting, but I imagine many would consider it controversial. In the book "On Killing" which has been discussed at length in this forum the author makes a case that U.S. soldiers have been trained to insure a greater propensity to killing the enemy. If that's true, I would think that direct action missions would hold a greater appeal, and seeing these missions being conducted outside of SF would be a bitter pill to many. However, it's even more applicable to our near term (next 10-15 years) future as the Regiment looks for relevance beyond the missions of the previous 10 years. ,this appears to be a very forward thinking, and would be interesting to see this concept expanded upon.

If this new division of labor is a reality, how do you think it would affect participation in the future missions that are akin to SOG missions, or the invasion of Afghanistan? It seems a SF world where missions like these are not viable would be a World without luster.

mark46th
02-20-2012, 17:56
From what I have seen lately, mission assignments seem to be related to who is in charge.