PDA

View Full Version : Source Of Loud Boom In Foothills A Mystery

Pete
08-26-2012, 16:22
Source Of Loud Boom In Foothills A Mystery

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/08/24/source-of-loud-boom-in-foothills-a-mystery/

"EL DORADO COUNTY (CBS13) – People from all over El Dorado County say they’re hearing loud booms several times a week, but there are many theories on what is causing them.

“I thought it was thunder,” said one person. ................"

As a side note to this story Toaster and I spent the weekend out in Uwharrie Forest near the Wood Run Camp site and after dark heard some strange Booms. I kinda' thought it sounded like a mortar going off but a deeper longer sound. Toaster thought it sounded more like a large plastic garbage container.

We were 1 1/2 miles from the highway - but the sound made it hard to tell how far away it was. Went on for a good while but was not rhythmic as in someone playing a big drum.

Hmmmmm.

MTN Medic
08-26-2012, 16:43
Read the comments for a real laugh. It took all of 5 minutes for Booms to turn into a Left vs. Right vs. Michael Moore rant. Classic internet.

Requiem
08-26-2012, 23:55
My sister lives in El Dorado Hills. She suspects the booms belong to Aerojet and its space and defense propulsion technology lab. Interesting that the news source didn't mention the possibility. :rolleyes:

Susan

Streck-Fu
08-27-2012, 08:26
The rebellion has artillery now.... :p

AngelsSix
08-31-2012, 19:40
I actually heard this too. I was wondering if the Marines were in town, then I figured Robin Sage. Then I figured that if Ft. Bragg was blowing up, I might as well open a beer because it would be one hell of a fireworks show. Then the noise stopped. Oh, well.

kgoerz
08-31-2012, 20:41
I remember hearing the sonic booms growing up on Long Island in the 70's. Nobody questioned them or wrote stories about them.
Many years later it was released. The SR 71' spy planes staged out of eastern long island during those years.

Pete
09-01-2012, 06:21
I remember Sonic Booms from the 60's while growing up on an AFB. When they hit it was a good jolt.

In Uwharrie off on the East side of the Dutchman's Trail you can hear machinery noise after dark off to the east. Sounds like the picking up and moving of large metal containers. There is some kind of Forest Service recycling facility way off that way and I assume those noises come from it.

On a still night if you're on high ground you can hear highway noise just about everywhere. Deeper it the woods it might only be the big rigs - or lack of mufflers.

The sounds we heard were none of the above and not made by the Uwharrie Beast. Well? Let me think on that, he might have stolen somebody's garbage can and..........

Richard
09-01-2012, 06:51
I grew up in that area and will be returning to our ranch in Elk Grove in a couple of weeks for some remodeling work.

Aerojet tests the big rocket and hyperspeed engines for the space and specialized military programs over there along US-50 between Rancho Cordova and Folsom, and you can hear the 'boom' for a long ways up and down the valley when they do it. Our place is about 15 miles from there and it is very loud when they test the engines which can go from a quick 'boom' to a longer 'rumbling roar' which can last for a minute or more.

The CAANG flies the F-16 and they maneuver up and down the state in their air interceptor role all the time, sometimes breaking the sound barrier when doing so.

There is also a lot of heavy road construction going on right now to improve US-50 heading up the mountain through Placerville just to the East of El Dorado Hills, and they sometimes need to do blasting to break up the large granite formations encountered in that portion of the foothills.

Must've been a slow news day for the local news network.

Richard :munchin

VVVV
09-01-2012, 07:42
I remember hearing the sonic booms growing up on Long Island in the 70's. Nobody questioned them or wrote stories about them.
Many years later it was released. The SR 71' spy planes staged out of eastern long island during those years.

I remember sonic booms (shook my house, and school) on the Island, back in the '50s and '60s. by aircraft out of Mitchell AFB (Garden City), Republic Aviation (Farmingdale), and Grumman (Bethpage).

AngelsSix
09-02-2012, 17:00

No shit? You are from LI? Me too. My dad worked out at BNL. My best friend from high school's dad worked at Grumman. Small world.

kgoerz
09-02-2012, 20:30
No shit? You are from LI? Me too. My dad worked out at BNL. My best friend from high school's dad worked at Grumman. Small world.

My brother worked at Grumman in the 80's. I believe 60 minutes did a segment on all the secrete stuff that occurred on Long Island during cold war. Probably find it on you tube