PDA

View Full Version : Old Ironsides sails again.

Susa
08-20-2012, 17:44
http://www.dvidshub.net/video/152458/uss-constitution#.UDLLNN2PXzk
From DVIDS:
"Old Ironsides sails again! The USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned warship afloat, is commemorating the 200th anniversary of her victory over the British frigate HMS Guerriere during the War of 1812."

That would have been a magnificent sight to see!

PRB
08-20-2012, 17:49
Beautiful sight....wish the wind had been up so we could have a bow wave...square riggers are magnificent beasties.

tonyz
08-20-2012, 17:53
Neat vessel - still remember when my grandfather took me on a tour of the ship when I was a young whippersnapper.

ETA web address for the USS Constitution:

http://www.history.navy.mil/ussconstitution/history.html

mojaveman
08-20-2012, 18:23
I'd like to go and see it someday. Those current Navy crew members actually climb the rigging to adjust the sails just like the sailors did 200 years ago. Looks a little hazardous to me.

It was nicknamed Old Ironsides because the sides of the hull were made of eighteen inch thick oak. When the British cannonballs hit her they merely bounced off into the water.

Naval warfare from the 18th and early 19th Century has always interested me in that the ships usually closed to within 100 yards or less to get the maximum effect from their cannon.

Inflexible Six
08-20-2012, 18:53
Beautiful ship. I had a chance to go aboard in 2004. A national treasure.

Red Flag 1
08-20-2012, 20:20
A wonderful visit; if you ever get a chance to visit, GO.

My Granddad sailed on these ships when he left the "old country". Sailed for several years, until he got to a US port;). He described a trip aloft in a storm, as the most dangerous thing he had ever done in his 85 years alive. The sea was so huge, and the ship so small. He said that all that fell from the rigging during big storms, fell into the sea; no-one ever hit the deck. They would throw anything that would float overboard to the fallen sailor. Some times they would turn about for rescue. Many times, turning these ships in heavy seas was putting the ship in such great danger, that they would simply sail on. He said that he never talked with anyone that had fallen like that and survived such a fall. On balance, he said it was not such a bad life; but best left to the young men.

Good to see that sailing ships are still crewed, and take to the open sea.

RF 1

VVVV
08-20-2012, 21:08
Beautiful ship. I had a chance to go aboard in 2004. A national treasure.

It sure is. I was on it back in 1951.

An amazing sight was the 21 Tall Ships sailing in NY harbor during the Bicentennial celebration in July 1976.