PDA

View Full Version : Path to SF....

The Four
08-11-2012, 15:27
Howdy
I am a high school senior who is about to submit college applications, and I have come across a dilemma. I plan and am preparing to have a career in Special Forces, but I am trying to figure out the one of the best options for me of how to get there. I will attend college before I sign-up for the military, but I am debating whether or not to take college ROTC. I seek to become an 18A someday, but I want to figure out the best way for me. The two options I have basically are either enlist 18X straight out of college, and work my way up to an 18A, or attend ROTC, commission as a 2nd LT, then try out for SF after a few years of service in the Army. I understand that ROTC will teach me important things about the military before I serve, but is it really necessary to have in order to get into SF, or will it really help me? To clear things up, my goal is to get into SF, not to necessarily become an 18A or nonetheless an Army Officer. I still plan to become an 18A, but SF is my absolute priority.
Thank you for your time.

SF_BHT
08-11-2012, 15:30
Well you are not strating out very well. You have failed at your first task of doing an intro as directed in your e-mail.

Go do flutter kicks and follow our rules.

The Reaper
08-11-2012, 18:04
Howdy
I am a high school senior who is about to submit college applications, and I have come across a dilemma. I plan and am preparing to have a career in Special Forces, but I am trying to figure out the one of the best options for me of how to get there. I will attend college before I sign-up for the military, but I am debating whether or not to take college ROTC. I seek to become an 18A someday, but I want to figure out the best way for me. The two options I have basically are either enlist 18X straight out of college, and work my way up to an 18A, or attend ROTC, commission as a 2nd LT, then try out for SF after a few years of service in the Army. I understand that ROTC will teach me important things about the military before I serve, but is it really necessary to have in order to get into SF, or will it really help me? To clear things up, my goal is to get into SF, not to necessarily become an 18A or nonetheless an Army Officer. I still plan to become an 18A, but SF is my absolute priority.
Thank you for your time.

You do understand how to read and how computer search engines work, right?

Did you read the board rules and stickies before posting, search for your topic and do some reading?

Tell you what, start with "A Message to Garcia", take another look at the rules and comply before posting again.

So far, I ain't impressed. You may want to start developing your alternate plan.

TR

The Four
08-12-2012, 15:51
Will do.
I apologize for the inconvenience and wasting your time.

kaewstihs
08-12-2012, 16:15
Good sirs, this is off topic to this thread but I didn't want to start an entirely new one just for this question (I searched the threads but couldn't find anything regarding this) if I missed it I do apologize. Anyways, the question is that when on deployment (Say Afghanistan) whats the normal policy concerning bringing personal sidearms with you? I have a Glock .40 that I would dearly love to bring when I actually get deployed (which probably will be over a year) but nevertheless the question has been bugging me since I've started my creature comfort list (I want to get a good thigh holster if I'll be allowed to bring my Glock). If by any chance I've missed the appropriate thread I apologize in advance, as I used the search function to the best of my ability.

p.s. The Reaper, many thanks for starting the thread about the things that people wished they'd brought on deployment or were glad they had brought. I've been reading it religiously and have started slowly acquiring a good number of the items listed.

Thanks, kaewstihs

wishbone
08-12-2012, 19:22
Good sirs, this is off topic to this thread but I didn't want to start an entirely new one just for this question (I searched the threads but couldn't find anything regarding this) if I missed it I do apologize. Anyways, the question is that when on deployment (Say Afghanistan) whats the normal policy concerning bringing personal sidearms with you? I have a Glock .40 that I would dearly love to bring when I actually get deployed (which probably will be over a year) but nevertheless the question has been bugging me since I've started my creature comfort list (I want to get a good thigh holster if I'll be allowed to bring my Glock). If by any chance I've missed the appropriate thread I apologize in advance, as I used the search function to the best of my ability.

Putting aside the legality of bringing a POW with you on deployment; how do you plan on getting ammunition for that pistol? Its a nice weapon, I've got one myself, but say you need to get resupplied on ammunition at some point. You're not much of an asset to the team with an empty pistol. Think about how to contribute to the team. It makes no difference what pistol you have. Spend your time shooting and doing pt. It will be more useful than being the one guy with a .40.

kaewstihs
08-12-2012, 19:43
Putting aside the legality of bringing a POW with you on deployment; how do you plan on getting ammunition for that pistol? Its a nice weapon, I've got one myself, but say you need to get resupplied on ammunition at some point. You're not much of an asset to the team with an empty pistol. Think about how to contribute to the team. It makes no difference what pistol you have. Spend your time shooting and doing pt. It will be more useful than being the one guy with a .40.

Sir, thank you for the answer. The question came about from my cousin who was an armory sgt during the initial surge after 9-11. He told me that a lot of men in his battalion brought their own sidearms with them because of the shortage of available M9s. Also, the availability of ammunition didn't occur to me:/ Thanks for the clarification and I will think about it no more. As in pt, I acquired a copy of Get Selected! (If you have any knowledge on the reliability of this book I'd like to hear about it) and I'm doing my best to follow the tips and guidelines (land nav, rucking, road marching) to the letter to ensure my passing of selection.

ZonieDiver
08-12-2012, 20:15
Sir, thank you for the answer. The question came about from my cousin who was an armory sgt during the initial surge after 9-11. He told me that a lot of men in his battalion brought their own sidearms with them because of the shortage of available M9s. Also, the availability of ammunition didn't occur to me:/ Thanks for the clarification and I will think about it no more. As in pt, I acquired a copy of Get Selected! (If you have any knowledge on the reliability of this book I'd like to hear about it) and I'm doing my best to follow the tips and guidelines (land nav, rucking, road marching) to the letter to ensure my passing of selection.

Welcome to PS.com, and thank you for enlisting.

Now... about your profile. It needs some attention to detail: "quite proffesional", "resource of information" and "68w" - though you have enlisted for this MOS, if you have not yet shipped to BCT, you are not yet that, are you?

You indicated that you had done some searching. You've been here not quite two weeks. Unless you are spending 24/7 on PS.com, I doubt that you have even scratched the surface. One reason I think that you have not is your question about the "reliability" of "Get Selected" - a topic that is found repeatedly on this board.

However, the main reason I think this is that IF you had done even a modicum of searching, you'd surely have found an oft-repeated expression having to do with "your 25m target"!

Had you read and heeded that, you could have answered your own question.
First, get shipped off to BCT. Second, complete BCT. Third, ... you get the idea.

Search, read, ponder, and then repeat. Remember, any question you have has probably already been asked.

Good luck on your journey. You have time to get all your questions answered, either through your efforts, or with the help of others.

Thanks, again, for stepping up.

PS - I've noticed a recent trend by some new board members to reply repeatedly to "spot correction" posts such as this. Trust me, a failure to reply coupled with evidence that you've taken the spot correction to heart and acted upon it is much better than any written reply. It's that "action" vs "words" thing.

11Ber
08-12-2012, 20:17
You are a young 68W with a possible deployment in your future and you are most concerned about how to get your POW into theater? Seems like it is the most deserving issue of your time and effort. No need to worry about trying to be the best basic medic you can be. No need to worry about training physically for war. Let's just make sure you can illegally get your .40 in country so you can be safe. ARE YOU FU"KING SERIOUS?

Eagle5US
08-12-2012, 20:45
The question came about from my cousin who was an armory sgt during the initial surge after 9-11. He told me that a lot of men in his battalion brought their own sidearms with them because of the shortage of available M9s.
Don't believe everything your cousin tells you...:rolleyes:

Additionally-
either remove 68W from your profile, or put "enlisted for"...

kaewstihs
08-12-2012, 21:09
You are a young 68W with a possible deployment in your future and you are most concerned about how to get your POW into theater? Seems like it is the most deserving issue of your time and effort. No need to worry about trying to be the best basic medic you can be. No need to worry about training physically for war. Let's just make sure you can illegally get your .40 in country so you can be safe. ARE YOU FU"KING SERIOUS?

11Ber, I apologize for upsetting you with what I thought was an innocent question. I had no idea that it was illegal in any way (I'm still basically a civvy who signed a contract and is awaiting the other side to hold up their end of the deal) so I am still ignorant of what is common knowledge to members who have actually been through training and have the experience under their belts.

Additional - regarding to being the best medic I can be I currently have 35 hours college hours built up mostly in medical classes (dosage cal, anatomy & physiology, beginners psychology, ect.) just saying..

I hold all of your opinions in high esteem, because you all have clearly earned that right in my eyes and I endeavor to be looked upon the same way by others some day. I will happily correct anything on my profile that is found misinformative or incorrect in any way and apologize for not digging deeper than I did. I will no longer post on this site and will remain a silent observer until I earn the right to become a active member of it. If anyone finds anything on my profile that is still considered improper please pm me and I will correct it with utmost speed.

"Cast or Tab"

Sincerely, kaewstihs

Eagle5US
08-12-2012, 21:29
Well done on correcting your profile. You are welcome to post here and ask questions. Simply make certain that those questions are well researched. There is no need to fall all over yourself apologizing for not knowing stuff. Sometimes a lack of verbal response and instead a following of direction/instruction (like adjusting your profile) says more about your potential than the most sincere written apology possible.
Step back and take a breath. Understand that this site is not like any other site you will find- either in the caliber of folks you will find or in the information and debate available.
Read, read, and read some more. It will allow you what we call "Situatiknal Awareness" or "SA".
Good SA is a tool that will serve you well not only here, but in the military and your day to day life as well.
Good luck, enjoy the site, participate as appropriate.

Dozer523
08-13-2012, 09:18
Howdy . . . I understand that ROTC will teach me important things about the military . . . When you're done with A Message To Garcia you can think about this.
ROTC is great preparation for lots of things, not just being an Officer. The classes are interesting, you'll know fairly quickly if the important things to the Army are important to you (and you'll know what to do from there). The training is fun. You'll make lots of friends (it's almost it's own faternity) It's a good excuse to drink heavily AND then do PT in the mornings to burn it off. Chicks dig ROTC guys. It's an easy A. (How easy? So easy you'll have to work NOT to get an A).