PDA

View Full Version : Single wing Plane crash video from inside cockpit 2 Camera views

Penn
08-10-2012, 23:41
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426

Red Flag 1
08-11-2012, 08:53
That is a close as I ever want to get to an aircraft mishap. Pilot was not putting much altitude on to be comfortable at all. Makes me wonder if he was overloaded; roll out looked pretty long too. Pilot took a pretty big hit, wonder if he has any recall of the event?

RF 1

Inflexible Six
08-11-2012, 15:05
deleted

bandycpa
08-11-2012, 15:19
I've only flown a few times in my life and never in a single-engine plane, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I didn't hear anything on the video during the crash that sounded like the expected "we're gonna crash!", or even an "uh oh". Were the circumstances of the crash so sudden that no one had time to react?

The Reaper
08-11-2012, 18:00
That is a close as I ever want to get to an aircraft mishap. Pilot was not putting much altitude on to be comfortable at all. Makes me wonder if he was overloaded; roll out looked pretty long too. Pilot took a pretty big hit, wonder if he has any recall of the event?

RF 1

Concur.

Looked to me like he was way heavy for conditions and never could climb out.

TR

PSM
08-11-2012, 18:25
According to the prelim-NTSB report, he was (is) a commercial pilot. The rear view video did not show any takeoff flaps and he flew over a hell of a lot of landable real estate. It's hard to tell if the terrain is rising to meet him or not. He had the yoke pretty close to his chest, but it's hard to tell is he's bleeding energy for the inevitable or just trying to climb out of an impossible situation and making it worse. Fortunately, they survived.

Too much weight and high Density Altitude kill lots of people...usually because of gethomeitis.

Pat

ETA NTSB report: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20120701X65804&key=1

Inflexible Six
08-11-2012, 18:40
deleted

Red Flag 1
08-11-2012, 19:03
According to the prelim-NTSB report, he was (is) a commercial pilot. The rear view video did not show any takeoff flaps and he flew over a hell of a lot of landable real estate. It's hard to tell if the terrain is rising to meet him or not. He had the yoke pretty close to his chess, but it's hard to tell is he's bleeding energy for the inevitable or just trying to climb out of an impossible situation and making it worse. Fortunately, they survived.

Too much weight and high Density Altitude kill lots of people...usually because of gethomeitis.

Pat

ETA NTSB report: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20120701X65804&key=1

Yup! A surprising number of physician private pilots have gotten into trouble because of that. We also do not know the altitude this aircraft was taking off at; Idaho is a Rocky Mtn. state. There seemed to be plenty of warnings that adequate lift was an issue. I did not see the lift at takeoff to give me any warm fuzzies. The yoke was well positioned for lift, the nose never really came up. Guess he couldn't find much lift over those trees......There were plenty of safe areas to set down.

RF 1

Ambush Master
08-12-2012, 09:25
He lifted off a couple of times and settled back down while in "Ground Effect". I think that Stinsons have Flaps, and if so, not using them sealed their fate!! When he started the RH Turn, that bled off enough airspeed to put them down!! He was way too heavy or inadiquately configured on too hot of a day to pull it off!!

Having gone down 6 times and left one @ just over 100' I can definitely relate!!

Later
Martin

Badger52
08-12-2012, 15:25
Concur.

Looked to me like he was way heavy for conditions and never could climb out.

TRI would say "Bingo, as usual." Even with the best of the 108 "mods" and using the standard FAA-BS 170 lb. person, probably a backpack or two or three, and adding minimum fuel for the flight to McCall, and a density altitude of over 9000' - the result is pretty predictable. As AM says, popping out of ground-effect & failing to actually climb, using up what is a pretty good length mountain strip tells the tale, and a little mountain down slope thermal don't help. All the ingredients were there.

Glad everyone survived; too bad a very sweet and notoriously sturdy a/c had to pay.