PDA

View Full Version : 6th SFG Are any others around

TomR
08-05-2012, 15:37
I was a member of the 6th SFG , 801st MI Det at Ft Bragg during the period of 1965-1968. Attended Jump school at Ft Benning, and returned to the 6th SFG, 801st MI Detachment. In 1967, completed requirements for suffix "S", and received orders for same. Presently Looking for any other members of the unit during that period.

The Reaper
08-05-2012, 19:24
Tom:

Not sure if you have introduced yourself here or not, but do us a favor, go to the Introductions thread and do so.

Appreciate it if you would fill in your profile a bit as well.

You might get more and better replies if we know who you are.

All the best.

TR

DFLAN
02-21-2013, 19:17
I was a member of the 6th SFG from 65 - 66. COs were Col Patten the Col McCulloch. My Company Commander, A Company, was LTC Wasco; I commanded an ODA. If I remenber correctly our Group was also referred to as a "Special Action Group" since we had a Civil Affairs Company, and Engineer and MP Dettachments and were capable of FID ops.

DFLAN

ghp95134
06-14-2013, 15:26
I was a member of the 6th SFG from 65 - 66. COs were Col Patten the Col McCulloch. My Company Commander, A Company, was LTC Wasco; I commanded an ODA. If I remenber correctly our Group was also referred to as a "Special Action Group" since we had a Civil Affairs Company, and Engineer and MP Dettachments and were capable of FID ops.

DFLAN

Did you know CPT Bud Power? My father was 6th SFG after he came back from DLI in '64 -- sometime between 64-65. I really loved that red/white/black flash! He did some Gabriel Demonstration stuff too, went to Toronto, Alaska, etc. And I recall the time he arranged for me to go into the museum and the curator allowed me to disassemble an MP-40 ... he was surprised that a 13 year-old could do that (I memorized it from Jane's Weapons of the World). After his time with the 6th he deployed to 5th SFG from '65~'66 (Det. B-33, Camp Widder).

His airborne assignments: 505th PIR, 77th, 1st, 6th, 5th, and Training Group

Thanks,

cooper1340s
08-21-2013, 11:40
I was with 6th Gp in 67 and again in 70, when I commanded C Co, 2nd Bn, 6th SFGA.

rewright
10-06-2013, 16:30
I am sure there are a few of us still on the roles. I had been assigned to the 3rd Group with MSG Leo J. Violette in the Group Surgeon's office when the 3rd was deactivated. We all simply changed flashes... same job, same great guys, same room in the barracks... New flash. CPT Jeff MacDonald was our Group Surgeon. I had been to his quarters a few times and new Collette and the girls. Sgt Ross Polizanno and I went to Womack after we were released from an all hands inspection. Captain Mac didn't look to good as I recall. The pall bearers for the girls were made up of medical NCOs from the Surgeons office. The girls were small enough that we only needed four bearers per casket. It was not a great time.

Premsore
12-11-2015, 17:26
Hit Co. C 6th Grp in Dec 69. See my introduction and profile for more info.
Anybody have info on a friend for mine from the 6th, Patrick St Clair from Blacksburg, VA?

JJ_BPK
12-12-2015, 08:49
We just missed each other.
Mar 69-Dec 69, S-4, C co..

Welcome to the hive.. :D

Premsore
12-12-2015, 09:40
Dude, if you had stayed just 2 more months, we moved from the old WWII barracks on Smokebomb Hill to the newer brick barracks like we had in Training Group the other side of JFK Center. So I only had to be a "fireman" (keeping the coal furnaces going at night) for a short period.
Thanks for the welcome!

glebo
12-13-2015, 07:27
I work with a former 6th GPer, Jeff (Richard) H.. I'll show him this thread and your profile...he may knw ya..

Premsore
12-13-2015, 08:33
Thanks! I see you're in Hope Mills. Knew a guy that was in the 7th that stayed in and last time I talked to him he had just retired, was CSM with the Golden Knights. I went through basic, AIT, jump school, and phase I with him. He went to weapons. Reason I tell you this is he grew up in Hope Mills and far as I know he still lives there. His name is Randy C.

SPEC4
12-13-2015, 12:11
Premsore,
I also came out of Fort Gordon, light weapons infantry.
Our paths must have crossed, Check my profile.
Welcome

Premsore
12-13-2015, 18:21
Spec4, I liked that Airborne Infantry AIT title! I think only a few of us know what that was. At Camp Crockett we weren't ever considered to be in Leg Infantry AIT, but instead training to eventually go to jump school and an airborne unit. We all trained using the Airborne PT test as our PT model. I was at Crockett beginning early January 69. Quonset huts, kerosene heaters that smoked so bad, when you wake up in the morning, your skin is covered in soot, blow your nose, and black soot. No running water, lister bags in the company street, and porta johns on each end of a Quonset. Went many a day in training that we didn't get back to the company area in time to catch the deuce and a half that went to the shower building a few miles down the road. Heck, that experience prepped us for phase I I'm a firm believer.
Like you, right after I hit group as a Spec4, the future cycles automatically made E5 coming to group, which froze E5 slots to the new guys. I never held it against them, it was the system. I finally got promoted after harassing my poor SGM and having to go before a promotion board after being in group for a year.

SPEC4
12-13-2015, 18:39
Yes, I have the same memories of primitive conditions at Fort Gordon and after AIT, jump school was easy .
I believe all of the field training had us well prepared for the Q school.

Mike
12-14-2015, 05:06
I went through the Airborne Infantry AIT at Ft Gordon, winter of 67.
I had enlisted Infantry with Airborne option.
Got into a big snot-throw on another board with a bunch of geniuses who claimed that school never existed.
I was across the street from the old POW huts.

I went to 6th Grp after SFTG. Put in a 1049 for RVN the 1st day.
It took 6 months to get out of there.
Neat flash.

SPEC4
12-14-2015, 10:21
Wikipedia :

During the Vietnam War, Fort Gordon was home to Camp Crocket, an area of the post conducting 9-week advance airborne infantry training courses for soldiers in line to attend the remaining 3 weeks of Airborne training at Fort Benning, Georgia, and then be assigned to Airborne units in Vietnam. The location closed as the war ended and today the site is overgrown with pine trees.

:lifter
Spec 4
Fort Gordon
December '68

Dean Jarvis
12-14-2015, 12:32
Hit Co. C 6th Grp in Dec 69. See my introduction and profile for more info.
Anybody have info on a friend for mine from the 6th, Patrick St Clair from Blacksburg, VA?

I was assigned to 6th SFG after graduation in Sept. '70 until departing for Vietnam in July '71. I'm thinking I was in Co. "C" at the time but details a bit foggy these days. Did you know SGM Billy Johnson (my TS) or SGM Gahn or SSGT Pet Griffin, SGT Donald Brumbelow, or SGT Barnhill?

Mike
12-14-2015, 16:03
I went through the Abn oriented Infantry AIT, Spring, 1967.

We lived in WW2 barracks on main post.

Across the street there was a row of one story huts that Captured Nazis lived in during WW2.
Some of our guys lived in them.

We went out to Camp Crockett for some training and did a two week exercise there acting as a Infantry company at the end of the course.

You got a 11B2P MOS. Some got 11C2P and others 11H2P.

Most all the cadre were guys fresh back from the 173rd.

The trainees were a motley bunch-guys who had signd up for Abn Inf. or Abn unassigned.

Some were real animals-lots of black guys from Detroit, Philly, and DC.
There were racial incidents.

Halfway through, one morning foration, they pulled me and two other guys and sent us to take the SF test.
We got orders to JFK Center pending graduating BAC.
Only time I got to wear my pretty blue rope was on the bus to Ft Bragg.

Up til then they were saying you had to be 20 and a E-5 to go SF.
I turned 20 a couple weeks into SFTG, but was a PFC.
Most of us were. We were the original babies, more or less.
We caught some flak, but most of us did pretty well in spite of ourselves.

There was very little harassment in training group then. They treated us as adults and most of us responded to that.

A few flunked out or fucked up and made their way down the road to 82 or VN, but most of us made it.
Most had at least a year of college as I recall.

Premsore
12-14-2015, 18:46
I was assigned to 6th SFG after graduation in Sept. '70 until departing for Vietnam in July '71. I'm thinking I was in Co. "C" at the time but details a bit foggy these days. Did you know SGM Billy Johnson (my TS) or SGM Gahn or SSGT Pet Griffin, SGT Donald Brumbelow, or SGT Barnhill?

Sorry Dean, none of those ring a bell, but that doesn't mean anything. LTC Ellerbe was Compny Commander of C Co.nat the time and he was the only black Company Commander in the 6th. Super guy, grew up in Ellerbe, NC.

Premsore
12-14-2015, 19:27
I went through the Abn oriented Infantry AIT, Spring, 1967.

We lived in WW2 barracks on main post.

Across the street there was a row of one story huts that Captured Nazis lived in during WW2.
Some of our guys lived in them.

We went out to Camp Crockett for some training and did a two week exercise there acting as a Infantry company at the end of the course.

You got a 11B2P MOS. Some got 11C2P and others 11H2P.

Most all the cadre were guys fresh back from the 173rd.

The trainees were a motley bunch-guys who had signd up for Abn Inf. or Abn unassigned.

Some were real animals-lots of black guys from Detroit, Philly, and DC.
There were racial incidents.

Halfway through, one morning foration, they pulled me and two other guys and sent us to take the SF test.
We got orders to JFK Center pending graduating BAC.
Only time I got to wear my pretty blue rope was on the bus to Ft Bragg.

Up til then they were saying you had to be 20 and a E-5 to go SF.
I turned 20 a couple weeks into SFTG, but was a PFC.
Most of us were. We were the original babies, more or less.
We caught some flak, but most of us did pretty well in spite of ourselves.

There was very little harassment in training group then. They treated us as adults and most of us responded to that.

A few flunked out or fucked up and made their way down the road to 82 or VN, but most of us made it.
Most had at least a year of college as I recall.

Yeah Mike , I still have some photos of Crockett and some of the guys I was there with. Mötley bunch is an understatement. While I was there there weren't any racial incidents that I was aware of, but when I arrived to Crockett and Drew my field gear from S4, they didn't issue us intrenching tools because a previous cycle had a riot or something and an MP was hit in the head with an intrenching tool and died.
As a result, when we were in the field, we had to use our steel pots to dig foxholes.
While I was there, some guys from another company brought some C4 and fuses back from the demo range and in the middle of the night blew up a porta john at the end of one of the Quonset huts. No one was caught or admitted to it. I was walking guard duty one night and Round 2-something heard a M16 burst and saw a stream of traser rounds going up in the sky.
Yeah, motley crew is right.

I hit group as Spec4 and was 19.

SPEC4
12-18-2015, 12:04
Spec 4 at 19, 6th Group from October 1969 to August 1970.
Alaska, January 1970.
HALO, April 1970.
Lots of KP and aggressor details, had to pick up the slack for "ghosts "
Bob Howard, Billy Waugh, Drew Dix are a few of the notable ones from those days.
Frank Clausen, David (Lurch) Mixter and Randy Weaver were friends.

Mgrayfox
12-25-2015, 08:05
I was there from September 1968 to July 1970. SGM Tiggert was company SGM. SGM Bull Fuller was my B team SGM. After July. I went to 10th Gp.

rwt_bkk
04-19-2018, 01:36
I went to 6th right out of training group about May of 69 . I think I was one of about 4 E-4s on an A team at the time. Team Sergeant was MSG Sandoval. Went on the big FTX in the tri-state (SC-GA-Tenn) area. I was on the advance party with CWO Hardy Bachelor (what a man he was). Got back and called Mrs. A and shipped out to Vietnam within 3 weeks of the call. 6th Group had lots of experienced guys in those days. One of the guys on my team was a SOG recon guy and he is how I got into CCN when I went to Vn.

Premsore
04-20-2018, 08:20
Bru, what company were you in? I hit Co. C out of Trng. Grp. in early Dec. '69. When the 6th was still in the old WWII barracks on Smoke Bomb Hill. SGM Beckerman was my company SGM and SFC Szabadoz ("Shaky Jake", from Poland) was my team sgt.