PDA

View Full Version : Maj Frank Closen

alelks
07-26-2012, 18:59
A great American and retired 5th Group and SonTay raider has recently passed away in Illinois.

R.I.P and best wishes

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pjstar/obituary.aspx?n=frank-closen&pid=158755203#fbLoggedOut

greenberetTFS
07-26-2012, 19:03
Gone,but not forgotten.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw - Cached

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......:(

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........:(

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion........:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy

full cooler
07-26-2012, 20:07
RIP Major.

bubba
07-26-2012, 20:42
RIP Sir

The Reaper
07-26-2012, 21:17
RIP, Major.

Your service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Thanks for trying.

TR

JJ_BPK
07-26-2012, 21:25
RIP Brother, Vaya con Dios..

orion5
07-26-2012, 23:04
Rest In Peace, Sir. Thank you for your service.

MtnGoat
07-27-2012, 03:42
RIP Sir

Prayers to family and friends

Blues skies and soft landings

Thank you for trying!

ZonieDiver
07-27-2012, 04:33
Rest In Peace, Brother.

TrapLine
07-27-2012, 05:13
Rest in peace. Thank you for your service. Prayers out.

Tatonka316
07-27-2012, 05:27
Rest in Peace, Major. Thank you for your lifetime of service and sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten. Give my son a hug for me and tell him I will see him soon.

molon labe

SPEC4
07-28-2012, 12:32
I attended training group then 6th group, with Frank in 1969-70, he was a good friend and a helluva nice guy. :(

Red Flag 1
07-28-2012, 18:25
Rest In God's Peace Major.

Gypsy
07-29-2012, 09:22
Rest in Peace, Major. We shall not forget your efforts, thank you.

Sarski
08-03-2012, 20:32
Son Tay. Thank you very much for your commitment and servive.

-Sarski

RetPara
12-28-2012, 06:19
I just learned of Franks passing last night. I first met him when he was in-processing 1/505th as a 2LT. I was the S2 NCO at the time. Lt's come and LT's go... but a 2LT with multiple rows of ribbons and Master Wings (?). So we talked for a while. He went to lead a Mortar Plt first, but made his mark as the Bn Sct Plt Ldr. In that position he was somehow chosen as "Outstanding Lieutenant of the Year" for the 82nd Abn Division. (Like anyone else stood a ghost of chance?) As we were prepping for the MFO deployment/startup we spent a LOT of time on the ranges. At the grenade range one day a frag went off early... about three feet from the SFC's right hand who threw. His right hand was gone. The young Sgt who was the safety in the pit with him looked like a collander (the Sgt's words not mine). On seeing the injury the young medic for the range went 'combat ineffective' almost instantly. Frank stepped in and took charge. Both the SFC and young Sgt lived, if Frank had not been there..... He then lead the Scout Platoon for the MFO Deployment. One major contribution his boys made was the confirmation of the Israeli minefields that were still in place and confirmation that live mines can/will drift down wadi's with floods. That doubled the size of mined areas to be cautious of. I have no doubt that saved more than a few lives. LTC (later MG) Garrison, though a bachelor himself then, made damn sure that Frank was on the first plane load of folks redeploying back to CONUS. His fifth (?) child was due to be born. Because of his service, he had not been there for the previous four. So the Bn Cdr and XO were ready to move heaven and earth to ensure that he was there for that. I left the Battalion in December after we returned from Sinai.

I next ran across Frank at Fort Benning where he was attending the Inf Officer Advanced Course. He was a Captain, not sure if he ended up with C/1/505 from CPT (later MG) Gary Harrell (SP?) or another officer.

Since retiring I have said that in my tenure in the Army that "I walked with giants". Frank Closen was one of them, one of the taller and quieter giants. The world is a lesser place without him.