PDA

View Full Version : Ice-T Defends Gun Rights: "The Last Form Of Defense Against Tyranny"

koz
07-23-2012, 20:10
Good on Ice-T!

-----
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/23/ice-t_defends_gun_rights_the_last_form_of_defense_agai nst_tyranny.html

Ice-T: Well, I'll give up my gun when everybody does. Doesn't that make sense? If there were guns here, would you want to be the only person without one?

Krishnan Guru-Murthy, anchor, Channel 4 News: So do you carry guns routinely at home?

Ice-T: Yeah, it's legal in the United States. It's part of our Constitution. You know, the right to bear arms is because that's the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt. It's to protect yourself from the police.

Anchor: And do you see any link between that and these sorts of incidents (Aurora)?

Ice-T: No. Nah. Not really really. You know what I'm saying, if somebody wants to kill people, you know, they don't need a gun to do it.

Anchor: It makes it easier though, doesn't it?

Ice-T: Not really. You can strap explosives on your body, they do that all the time.

On anti-gun laws: "That's not going to change anything. The Untied States is based on guns, you know."

Streck-Fu
07-23-2012, 20:30
Gained a lot of respect in my book.

Sarski
07-23-2012, 20:40
Great actor too. Very humble on screen. I don't watch CSI regularly, but if I'm flipping channels, er umm, chanel surfing, and he is on, I'll watch it.

ETA: Oh, right, Law and Order SVU. Thanks BOfH!

BOfH
07-23-2012, 20:41
Good on him. I always liked him on Law and Order: SVU.

BigJimCalhoun
07-23-2012, 20:45
Ice-T: Not really. You can strap explosives on your body, they do that all the time.
"

How soon before that happens here?

Sigaba
07-24-2012, 00:58
That's pretty cool, I always assumed he was a straight-up Hollywood leftist, guess not (at least on this issue anyway). Was just doing some Googling, turns out Al Gore also served in the Army, during Vietnam as an engineer.BS2004--

This might not be a bad time to take another look at more of your assumptions about "Hollywood leftists," southerners, as well as other groups of your fellow countrymen.

My $0.02.

abc_123
07-24-2012, 02:39
That's pretty cool, I always assumed he was a straight-up Hollywood leftist, guess not (at least on this issue anyway). Was just doing some Googling, turns out Al Gore also served in the Army, during Vietnam as an engineer.

Just rememeber we can't blame the Army for Al Gore. Designing and issuing camo uniforms that don't blend in with anything other than a gravel parking lot and a paisley couch, sure. But not Al Gore.

ZonieDiver
07-24-2012, 05:28
That's pretty cool, I always assumed he was a straight-up Hollywood leftist, guess not (at least on this issue anyway). Was just doing some Googling, turns out Al Gore also served in the Army, during Vietnam as an engineer.

While former VP Gore served in an Engineer unit in RVN, his MOS was that of a "military journalist". He wrote for the brigade's paper. I say that for clarification, not to demean his military service.

He volunteered (2 year RA) and went to RVN. Many others didn't.

Richard
07-24-2012, 05:48
While former VP Gore served in an Engineer unit in RVN, his MOS was that of a "military journalist".

Does that mean he was a 12BJ? :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

mark46th
07-24-2012, 08:44
Ii think Al Gore was a firearms safety instructor during his army time.

Richard
07-24-2012, 09:22
Mark,

That jungle ruck looks like somebody's unmade duffle bag, he has one of those plastic muzzle protectors on his rifle, and there's no magazine in his weapon.

I bet he has the requisite BFMBL ('Barney Fife' basic load) for dips**ts - three founds in his shirt pocket. ;)

Richard :munchin

greenberetTFS
07-24-2012, 09:40
Good on him. I always liked him on Law and Order: SVU.

One of my favorite programs and he does a good job playing his part........:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Pericles
07-24-2012, 13:50
Gained a lot of respect in my book.

+1

Sigaba
07-24-2012, 15:46
Well Sigaba, I know you can't just stereotype everyone in any particular area of the country, that there are always exceptions. I am sure there are conservatives, probably quite a few in Hollywood. But they are either greatly outnumbered, or out-shined, by the Hollywood leftists.The TMZ is driven by the entertainment industry, which, like a few other industries in America, is driven by the bottom line: selling content, selling content-related merchandise, and putting asses in seats. How is that "leftist"?

Sigaba
07-24-2012, 16:55
The politics of many of the actors, actresses, and directors.Follow the money. Is it going into the pockets of the people or the coffers of the studios and the bank accounts of the suits and the stars?

mojaveman
07-24-2012, 17:38
That really suprises me about Ice-T, and coming from someone who got trashed by Charlton Heston after his song Cop Killer came out. Am also very interested in what he did and where he was at during his time in the Army.

Gypsy
07-24-2012, 17:48
Heard a partial of the interview driving home today, thought it was great.

Sigaba
07-24-2012, 18:22
That really surprises me about Ice-T, and coming from someone who got trashed by Charlton Heston after his song Cop Killer came out. Am also very interested in what he did and where he was at during his time in the Army.FWIW, he published a memoir last year. He spends time discussing his time in the army (mostly the 25 ID), subsequent career as a criminal, and then his career as an entertainer.

IMO, some of his observations about growing up in L.A. are quite interesting as are his reflections on the "Cop Killer" controversy.

TXGringo
07-24-2012, 18:50
FWIW, he published a memoir last year. He spends time discussing his time in the army (mostly the 25 ID), subsequent career as a criminal, and then his career as an entertainer.

IMO, some of his observations about growing up in L.A. are quite interesting as are his reflections on the "Cop Killer" controversy.

He joins the Army, subsequently uses the training to commit crimes such as robbing banks, moves on to rapping about killing cops, then for years plays a cop on a TV show and writes a memoir about his past endeavors, making who knows how much money...

God bless America.

ZonieDiver
07-24-2012, 21:42
Ice T... Ice Cube... I always got them mixed up. At least I didn't confuse them with Vanilla Ice, though he probably wishes I could have.

This situation reminds me of a comment made my Charles Barkley when he played for the Phoenix Suns and they used to win games and play in championships (lonnnnnng, lonnnnnng ago). His popularity was so great that it was said he could be elected governor (we have low standards in Arizona - see: Jan Brewer, Janet Napolitano, Ev Mecham - who owes me $3.64 plus interest from 1965, and J. Fife Symington III... no kidding, that's his name).

His mom said he should run for governor of his home state - Alabama, because they needed a good, Democrat governor. Barkley told her, "Mom, I'm a millionaire; I'm a Republican now."

(Of course, he became a Dem during the administration of GW Bush...and I am pretty sure still is.)

orion5
07-25-2012, 16:27
The fact that this thread, on a barrel-chested-freedom-fighter forum (well, some of you anyway :D), has gone 25 posts without one mention of Ice-T's infamous wife......I think I feel a tear forming in my eye.....you guys may be redeemable after all.......;)

Peregrino
07-25-2012, 18:24
The fact that this thread, on a barrel-chested-freedom-fighter forum (well, some of you anyway :D), has gone 25 posts without one mention of Ice-T's infamous wife......I think I feel a tear forming in my eye.....you guys may be redeemable after all.......;)

May have to Google this; I'm still trying to decide whether or not I care enough to find out who y'all are talking about.

Sigaba
07-25-2012, 18:28
May have to Google this; I'm still trying to decide whether or not I care enough to find out who y'all are talking about.Add "WhoSay" to your search ah, string, and the results will, um, provide plentiful evidence upon which to make a sound judgement

#giggity

Groleck
07-25-2012, 22:14

Not a barrel-chested freedom fighter, but your comment sparked my curiosity and it got the best of me on Google.

Coco Austin appears to have quite a personality.

- Dan P.

orion5
07-25-2012, 22:25
May have to Google this; I'm still trying to decide whether or not I care enough to find out who y'all are talking about.

No, you don't care enough. But it's still fun to watch you, like a fly at the edge of the sticky paper.

Glad to hear Ice-T is an informed patriot. I did not know that about him.

[Sig- stop! :D]

sf11b_p
07-27-2012, 16:25
Yeah...
In 1979, Marrow joined the Army after leaving Crenshaw High School, but his 4-year hitch was enough for him, as he was a leader, not a follower. "I didn't like total submission to a leader other than myself," he said. After ETSing from the Army in 1983, he returned to South Central with the intention of becoming a hip-hop musician. More than music, his life got caught up in street life as as a jewel thief and as a pimp. (His nomme de guerre, Ice T, is an homage to the fabled pimp and raconteur Iceberg Slim (Robert Beck). He committed himself totally to his music after a 1985 car crash.

Served in the U.S. Army Rangers (1979-1981).

I wonder if the Rangers have the class number for him?

Now that is off the IMDb website so facts and truth may be as iron-clad as a soup sandwich but, seems I read something he ETS'd an E-3 and was in the 25th.

This from the NYT in '99 is , heh...

As an 18-year-old father, he had been "stealing car stereos and selling weed. It wasn't really working." He walked into a military recruiting office and walked out a U.S. Army Ranger. (He served four years.) When they proposed a $2,500 combat bonus, he replied: "I ain't afraid of combat." He was combat ready, he was a Crip. One reason he chose the Rangers was because they wore black berets. Black was "cool, like the Panthers." It was a state of mind he describes in retrospect as a "weird warp."

Let's not leave Wiki out...

As an 18-year-old father, he had been "stealing car stereos and selling weed. It wasn't really working." He walked into a military recruiting office and walked out a U.S. Army Ranger. (He served four years.) When they proposed a $2,500 combat bonus, he replied: "I ain't afraid of combat." He was combat ready, he was a Crip. One reason he chose the Rangers was because they wore black berets. Black was "cool, like the Panthers." It was a state of mind he describes in retrospect as a "weird warp."

Marrow became interested in hip hop music while serving in the army. During this period, he heard Sugar Hill Gang's newly-released single "Rapper's Delight", which inspired him to perform his own raps over the instrumentals of this and other early hip-hop records, but the music did not fit his lyrics or form of delivery, leading Marrow to try to develop his skills as a rapper.[9]

As a squad leader at Schofield Barracks, Marrow met a real-life pimp named Mac in Hawaii, where prostitution was not heavily prosecuted, due to the high level of visits from soldiers during their weekends, as well as tourists, in order to keep the level of violence low.[8] Mac admired that Marrow could quote Iceberg Slim, and taught Marrow how to pimp.[8] Marrow was also able to purchase stereo equipment cheaply in Hawaii, including two Technics turntables, a mixer, and large speakers, and began to learn turntablism and rapping.[9]

Towards the end of his time in the army, Marrow learned from his commanding officer that he could receive an honorable discharge and leave the army early because he was a single father, and left four months ahead of schedule.[8][10]

During an episode of the Adam Carolla Podcast that aired on June 6th, 2012, Marrow admitted that after being discharged from the army he began a career as a bank robber. Using combat skills allegedly acquired in army Ranger School, Marrow claimed he and some associates began conducting take-over bank robberies, "...like [in the film] Heat." Marrow then elaborated, explaining, "Only punks go for the drawer, we gotta go for the safe." Although Marrow may have been using some artistic license in describing his bank robbing exploits, he also stated he was glad the United States justice system has a statute of limitations, which had likely expired when Marrow admitted to his involvement in multiple Class 1 Felonies in the early- to mid-1970s.[11] -

[8]Marrow, Tracy; Century, Douglas (2011). "Cold As Ice". Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption—from South Central to Hollywood. Random House. ISBN 978-0-345-52328-0.

[9]Marrow, Tracy; Century, Douglas (2011). "Nightmare Walking". Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption—from South Central to Hollywood. Random House. ISBN 978-0-345-52328-0.

[10] a b O'Flanagan, Emma (2004-02-23). "Ice-T addresses group, provides inspiration". The Daily Targum (Rutgers University). Retrieved 2008-06-29.

[11] http://www.adamcarolla.com/?powerpress_pinw=11124-podcast

Brownie points for enlisting post-Vietnam just because it was unpopular. That's pretty selective.

Right there was no cool factor but, it was a paycheck and evidently still a way to stay out of jail.