PDA

View Full Version : The Father of South African Special Forces turns eighty today

Guymullins
07-14-2012, 06:48
Col Jan Dirk Breytenbach turned eighty years old today.
Colonel Jan was the founding Officer Commanding of the South African Reconnaissance Regiments, The Recces, who were the SA equivalent of the US Green Berets and SEALs. He then went on to found as the first OC the famous 32 Battalion. This was a unit comprising of turned terrorists and guerrilla soldiers from Angola operating under the command of SA officers and NCOs. 32Bn operated almost entirely behind enemy lines, using enemy weapons and was the most feared SA unit in the 30 year bush war. Colonel Jan then became the first OC of 44 Parachute Brigade (one of my units) and commanded it in the great Battle for Cassinga, an airborne attack on a fortified enemy camp 250 km behind enemy lines. He is South Africas most decorated soldier and now lives in retirement on the Cape Coast where he still swims 3 km a day. Among his many qualifications are selection courses of : British SAS, Rhodesian SAS, French Combat Divers Course, SA Parachute Course, Free Fall and HALO and Divers Courses. He also did a course at your Fort Bragg as a young officer, where he learned his favourite maxim. Find em, Fix em and Finish em.
A picture of he and I at the last Cassinga Day Parade this year.

Richard
07-14-2012, 06:59
OFS, Guy. Thanks for those highlights of "a life well lived."

Richard :munchin

JJ_BPK
07-14-2012, 07:03
Happy Birthday Col Breytenbach

:lifter:D:lifter

Dusty
07-14-2012, 10:01
:lifter

SF_BHT
07-14-2012, 10:34
Happy Birthday Col.....

greenberetTFS
07-14-2012, 11:01
:lifter :lifter :lifter........ Guy,which one are you?

Big Teddy :munchin

Richard
07-14-2012, 12:36
Guy,which one are you?

Teddy,

Misplaced your spectacles again?

Put them on and think about it - the COL just turned 80 and is the most decorated vet in SA. So, which of the two chaps in the pic looks (1) oldest and (2) appears to be the most decorated? ;)

Keep it up and we're gonna have to pull your O&I suffix! :D

And so it goes...

greenberetTFS
07-14-2012, 13:27
Teddy,

Misplaced your spectacles again?

Put them on and think about it - the COL just turned 80 and is the most decorated vet in SA. So, which of the two chaps in the pic looks (1) oldest and (2) appears to be the most decorated?

Keep it up and we're gonna have to pull your O&I suffix!

And so it goes...

Richard

Gotcha......... :rolleyes: However I'm pulling my old walrus card to cover my ass...:p

Guymullins
07-14-2012, 13:43
:lifter :lifter :lifter........ Guy,which one are you?

Big Teddy,
I am the young whippersnapper of 61 in the green jacket. I spoke to the Colonel today and he still gets me sitting to attention, even while singing Happy Birthday to him.

Team Sergeant
07-15-2012, 09:45
Find em, Fix em and Finish em. (I like that ;))

Happy Birthday Col Breytenbach