PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Waivers

Absit
07-13-2012, 20:16
To get right out with it, I had testicular cancer in 2005 and have been in remission since Feb of 2006. I'm interested in joining the National Guard (A/2/20th in particular) and I'm requesting anyone with any experience, knowledge, or information on anyone that's got a waiver for a history of cancer to get in touch with me. The recruiter suggested by A/2/20th has never seen a cancer waiver, so along with him working on it, I'd like to gather as much information as possible to give me the best chance I can have for enlisting.

If you have any such information, feel free to post it here or PM me. I appreciate any and all help.

In the meantime, I'll keep working my PT, reading these boards, Get Selected, and the Ranger Handbook. Just because they say "no" today doesn't mean they'll say "no" tomorrow, and I'm not going to be caught unprepared.

Also, if this is the wrong area to post I apologize, I put it here because it's NG specific and 20th group is what I'm wanting to join.

Thank you.

Eagle5US
07-13-2012, 20:21
Check the appropriate Army regulation and post the proper paragraphs and line numbers from Chapter 2.

The SWC SGN is the waiver authority. I will tell you that I have boarded an active duty guy from GP OUT of the Army post Orchiectomy from having testicular CA.

Though your recruiter hasn't seen a waiver for CA, your case does not bode well to get in as we are boarding people out for the same.

Absit
07-13-2012, 20:25
Eagle5US, thank you for your reply. Here's the reg:

AR 40-501

2–31. Tumors and malignant diseases
b. Current or history of malignant tumors (V10) does not meet the standard. Skin cancer (other than malignant
melanoma) removed with no residual, is not disqualifying.

Eagle5US
07-13-2012, 20:39
Should you decide to attempt a waiver for enlistment, you will first need a waiver thru the MEPS physician to get into the Army...then a second waiver for Special Operations training. You should check your path report to determine if your CA was malignant or benign.

Indeed, your chances are slim should you decide to apply; your chances are zero if you DON'T apply.

Well done on reading the stickies and utilizing the appropriate Regulation.

Good luck in your decision and career path.

Congrats on beating the big C for the past 5+ yrs.

Absit
07-13-2012, 20:46
Eagle5US, thank you on all. I was unaware I'd need a second waiver for Special Operations training, the Reg gets pretty long but it looked like the same standards applied in that respect. I didn't take it to mean I'd need another waiver, but that the initial waiver would be sufficient.

The hill is steep, but not trying doesn't seem to be the best option.

Eagle5US
07-13-2012, 20:58
Chapter 2 covers initial entry training...a different chapter covers special operations training.

The waiver authority to get IN the Army is different from the waiver authority to go to Special Operations Training. Similarly, the waiver authority for flight is also a separate entity...and chapter / paragraph in 40-501.

Absit
07-13-2012, 21:45
Eagle5US, I understand. When I read the Reg I remember most of the special school rules referring to chapter 2, I incorrectly thought the single waiver would therefore work for both. Thank you for squaring me away.

Scimitar
07-14-2012, 01:02
I'm not 100% on this,

But it may be worth looking into a little deeper

My understanding is that only the following SF states are currently taking entry level medical waivers
- Massachusetts
- Rhode Island
- Alabama
- California (generally doesn't take rep-63)
- Maryland

I understand that other SF states have a general ban, but may make exceptions.

Either way, may be wise just to query this with your recruiter, and if it helps I can provide you with the ARNG central SF focused recruiter's POC.

Unless I'm mistaken, I beleive he's tabbed and he might be able to give you a broader picture / broader options then a state recruiter, and he has no agenda, as he's not on a quota.

Not saying you guys bad, but a second opinon never goes amiss.

HTH

S

Absit
07-14-2012, 01:16
Scimitar, thank you for your reply. Please PM me that contact information. I have faith in my recruiter but having someone that's not under stress to meet a quota may help. My recruiter does seem to be extremely busy right now.

Edit: I do apologize, I've been searching with no luck. What is SWC SGN? I'm seeing Surgeon General in 40-501 but I'm not tracking the SWC part. I also found this:

AR 40-501

1–6. Review authorities and waivers
d. Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS), under the purview of MEPCOM, are the review authorities for
original enlistment examinations accomplished in their facilities. The Commanding General, USAREC, is the waiver
authority for original enlistment. The Director, Army National Guard is the waiver authority for the Army National
Guard (ARNG) and the Army National Guard of the United States (ARNGUS).

Scimitar
07-14-2012, 01:58
Please PM me that contact information....

Sent

I can only assume....Special Warfare Center SurGeoN....

My understanding is...

the MEPS SGN is the med gate keeper to the Army, the SWC SGN is the med gate keeper to the School House. Different regs, different guys.

But this is Eagle5US AoR, l'd wait for his confirmation on this one.

S

The Reaper
07-14-2012, 09:52
In my experience and opinion, I don't see this happening.

As Eagle5US already stated, we are putting people out who are already SF and who have had this medical issue.

I see no reason to waive a pre-existing disqualifier in the current environment. Plenty of non-cancerous applicants who do not require waivers.

As noted, the AR is the relevant reg, and the SWCS Surgeon has the final say.

Best of luck.

TR

Absit
07-14-2012, 14:13
The Reaper, thank you for your reply. I understand my chances are small, but as Eagle5US said, they're zero if I don't try. All the same, I'd rather fight up this hill than roll down it.

I know the people here may not be qualified to answer this, but if I knew what exactly they were concerned with I could more directly address it in my "sales pitch". Is it that I'm somehow physically inferior now? Is it that I may get sick again and they'll have to pay for treatment? Is it that I may get sick again and they'll lose the investment of my training? Is it all 3, or something I haven't thought of?

As I understand it, the Army used to be decent with cancer waivers after 5 years remission. Did some new numbers come out, or are they just getting so many applicants for so few slots that they don't need to do it anymore?

I do appreciate all input from everyone here, and I have a great deal of respect for all of you. However, no matter what's posted here, I will not simply quit.
Besides, what unit out there wouldn't want a guy that already comes with a myriad of Uno-related nicknames?

Eagle5US
07-14-2012, 19:00
STOP-

NOW-

This has nothing more to do with you. There is no "sales pitch" in the military.

I (we) have attempted to be civil, gentle, etc...because you are a civilian and are not familiar with the military and it's systems.

One of those systems is the system of Army Regulations (ARs). You have been a REALISTIC expectation of nothing moving forward and that your waiver request would be accepted, with few expectations. You need to UNDERSTAND that.

There is no "uphill fight" - there is submission and acceptance with a waiver authorized, and there is submission and denial with no waiver authorized. PERIOD.

IF (and it's a HUGE IF) you get in the military, I can ALMOST GUARANTEE you will not get into Special Operations. Not 100% guarantee....but damn near.

Take this information and do with it what you will...but your obstinence is noteworthy, similar to someone who is 5 foot tall and needs to be 6'2 in order to ride the "A ticket" ride saying they are going to "fight the uphill battle".

Stop digging - put your shovel down.

PERIOD.

Absit
07-15-2012, 14:12
Eagle5US, with respect, I believe I understand my chances of getting where I want to be. I think there may have been some miscommunication that I'd like to clear up.

First, my realistic expectation is that I'm PDQ'd on the MEPS prescreen, I won't even get to see the doc.
Second, my "sales pitch" refers to what I can bring to my recruiter that may make him want to put me in. As I understand it, to have any chance at all they're going to have to really want me.

I'm keeping my mind on what I can (or at least try to) do, rather than what will probably happen that's beyond my control. I understand my goals are far beyond what's realistic.

I apologize for my tone and ignorance. If you still request I stop, I will respectfully comply and I will not post again until I have an informational update on my enlistment process. I would however like to stick around and continue reading, regs may some day change.