PDA

View Full Version : Flor de Cana 12-Year Centenario

Roguish Lawyer
10-12-2004, 23:16
This was prescribed to me by Doc. It fixed me right up, just like he said it would.

This is a dark rum from Nicaragua. I tasted it neat in a tumbler to start, then had some mixed with pineapple juice and ice in the same glass, then had some on the rocks.

It is incredibly smooth. Has a little bite, but that's just the alcohol. It really tastes like a sweet bourbon, not like a rum. But it really is rum. You can taste the cane. But it has so much depth and so much character, it is like no other rum I have tried.

This is good stuff and everyone should try it before they die.

Thank you Doc for the excellent recommendation.

Bravo1-3
10-13-2004, 00:35
I have a hard time with the smell of rum, but then I don't think I've ever tried a quality grade of. Oddly enough, the only brand that didn't have a smell that bothered me was that nasty "White Castle" brand in the PI... probably because it wasn't so much rum as it was lighter fluid and paint thinner with some sugar mixed in.

Does this have that standard rum smell, or is there a difference?

Doc
10-13-2004, 03:48
This was prescribed to me by Doc. It fixed me right up, just like he said it would.

This is a dark rum from Nicaragua. I tasted it neat in a tumbler to start, then had some mixed with pineapple juice and ice in the same glass, then had some on the rocks.

It is incredibly smooth. Has a little bite, but that's just the alcohol. It really tastes like a sweet bourbon, not like a rum. But it really is rum. You can taste the cane. But it has so much depth and so much character, it is like no other rum I have tried.

This is good stuff and everyone should try it before they die.

Thank you Doc for the excellent recommendation.

RL,

I'm glad you like it.

Doc

Roguish Lawyer
10-13-2004, 09:17
Does this have that standard rum smell?

No. It's richer than that.

NousDefionsDoc
10-13-2004, 09:38
Flor de Caña is good. Havana Club also makes some very good rums - it is however, Cuban

Roguish Lawyer
10-13-2004, 10:04
Havana Club also makes some very good rums - it is however, Cuban

I happen to have a bottle of that too, but I haven't opened it. :eek:

Time for a side by side?

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 15:42
I just bought a bottle of this (for a much lower price -- this internet site is such a rip-off!), so I think I'll have to do a side-by-side against Doc's Flor de Cana and NDD's Habana Club. Results will be posted soon.

Zacapa Centenario 23-year
http://www.internetwines.com/ronzaccen.html

Flor de Cana 12-year
http://www.internetwines.com/rws20591.html

Habana Club (not sure which one I have, I think 7-year)
http://www.havanaclubfoundation.com/en/rones_tragos.asp?show=1

:munchin

Roguish Lawyer
11-27-2004, 19:40
OK, this wasn't really fair. This was a contest of the best Guatemalan vs. the 2d best Nicaraguan vs. the 3d best Cuban.

Want to guess the results? Yes, the 23 year-old was better than the 12 year-old and the 12 year-old was better than the 7 year-old. But they were all REALLY good!

The Reaper
11-27-2004, 20:10
A little close to the fire, don't ya' think? :D

TR

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2005, 18:55
I believe this thread may be of interest in 7th Group, so I am bumping it. I am also going to merge it with the side-by-side I did.

Basenshukai
01-29-2005, 13:38
I received a bottle of Ron de Cana from RL about two days ago. I loved it. It is great stuff. I'm taking some of this to drink with the guys after an intense training exercise we have next week in the woods. We'll ENDEX late at night around a fire and camp out for the night before returning home. I think that will be the most appropriate time for the drink (after duty hours and no where near a motor vehicle, of course).

Peregrino
07-05-2005, 18:31
I'm going to have to try the Flor de Can~a Centenario. Where can you get it (local to Ft Bragg if possible). I was introduced to FdC An~ejo in Honduras many years ago and liked it better than anything else comparable. Might have had something to do with the ambience of the drinking establishment, smokey kerosene lanterns and too many mosquitos can do that for a good rum (or a bad one for that matter). Of course it was only available in Hondo - we weren't exactly on the best of terms with Nicaragua at the time. And can somebody tell me how to get the Spanish characters on my keyboard? Please? :o Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2005, 18:56
Peregrino:

I highly recommend that you try the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old, de Guatemala. You can get it here:

http://www.2311gourmet.com/liquor.html

(I tried to give you a direct link, but they have some sort of security software that blocks it.)

Roguish Lawyer
07-05-2005, 19:00
You can get the Flor de Cana here, but it is overpriced. See if you can find a cheaper source first.

http://www.internetwines.com/rws20591.html

Peregrino
07-05-2005, 19:20
Muchisimas Gracias! I will have to try the Ron Zacapa Centenario. Didn't realise I was resurecting an old thread until I looked back through the original posts. It does go well with the Rum/Scotch one though. Unfortunately I live in one of the states your sources can't/won't ship to. Something to do with the Bible Belt or taxes (or both) I'm sure. I don't dare send it to my brother in SC, he'll immediately consume it and thank me for my unexpected generosity. (Not that I would blame him - being 1SG for a BCT Company will do that to a guy.) If it can be ordered I can probably purchase it through the Class VI store on Bragg. We can occasionally get Chaucer's Mead that way. Peregrino