PDA

View Full Version : 1911 doctor in the house????

Endorphin Rush
10-12-2004, 22:23
I've got a 1911 with a slide stop notch that's all boogered up. It actually came to me this way from the manufacturer. Would anyone with weapons experience (esp. 1911) please take a peek at the picture I've included and offer their opinion on whether this is an area of concern??? The manufacturer states that there is no need for concern. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before??? Is there anything that can...or should be done??? The weapon fires with absolutely no malfunctions of any type so far (thousand rounds downrange).

The pic shows the damage to the front of the slide stop notch.

The Reaper
10-13-2004, 05:27
Long as it runs, I see no problem with it.

TR

Endorphin Rush
10-13-2004, 06:13
Thanks TR!!

I guess my greatest concern was whether there might be some latent issues that could become mechanical problems later. For example, a co-worker of mine expressed his opinion that the problem could be one of incorrect slide hardness, at least in that area of the slide if no where else.

I can say that I have a handful of 1911s, some of moderate cost and others very costly, and I have never seen this phenomemon in any of the others. The gut wrenching aspect is that this gun is one of the "very costly".

Have you ever seen metal deformation like this on a 1911???

Razor
10-13-2004, 08:06
If you bought the weapon new from the manufacturer and are not satisfied with what you were given, send it back and ask for a new, unblemished slide.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2004, 08:15
If you bought the weapon new from the manufacturer and are not satisfied with what you were given, send it back and ask for a new, unblemished slide.

I agree with Razor, when you purchase a piece inspect it before handing them a check. From what I can see it looks to be a slight blemish and should not impair weapons fuction.

TS

The Reaper
10-13-2004, 10:06
I agree with Razor, when you purchase a piece inspect it before handing them a check. From what I can see it looks to be a slight blemish and should not impair weapons fuction.

TS

Concur.

While it may be fine mechanically, missed cuts and tool marks should not be present on a high end pistol.

TR

Endorphin Rush
10-13-2004, 11:12
Gentleman, Thank you!!!

Your responses were right on. While the aethetic aspect was a little upsetting, it was the mechanical aspect that I was concerned most about. As men that live and die by their knowledge of weapons, and a host of other things, I respect your opinions on this subject. That is why I posed the question to you folks. My mind is at ease. Thank you again!!!

ER