PDA

View Full Version : Are standards plummeting in the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program?

JJ_BPK
07-09-2012, 04:11
Looks like someone is getting RASP ready for a new class of students?? :munchin

Why are standards plummeting in the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program?, by Jack Murphy · July 8, 2012 · Posted In: Army Rangers, Special Operations, USASOC

With the Army issuing a press release to announce a new Discovery Channel Special called Hell and Back, Special Ops Ranger, there was one curious factoid published with it that left many of us in the Ranger community taken aback. The documentary follows a class of prospective Rangers through RASP, the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program which is a pre-requisite for serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment. The Ranger Regiment is known to maintain tough standards in regards to everything from physical appearance, to maintenance of equipment, and most importantly, performance in combat and job competency. These standards are enforced, violators are shown the door and Released For Standards but more critical than that, these non-performers are usually never allowed through the door to begin with, they are weeded out during the selection process which historically only has a 30% graduation rate.

This is why we were shocked when the Army press released stated, “114 Soldiers started Class 5-12; 91 Rangers graduated.” This is a shockingly high graduation rate of about 80% as opposed to the historical 30% that pass RASP and before that RIP. These graduation rates signify is massive drop in the physical and/or academic standards that RASP students are being held too in order to move on to a Ranger Battalion.

When questioned about this disturbing trend the Ranger Regiment’s Public Affairs Officer wrote, “The standards are the same. This happened to be a class full of studs and Soldiers determined not to fail on camera.” This statement however does not pass the most cursory amount of scrutiny. An entire class of rare physical specimens is a laughable impossibility to anyone who has spent any amount of time in these selection programs. Perhaps some students were hesitant to quit in front of the camera but the presence of a camera does not magically grant RASP students with the ability to knock out an additional fifty pushups on the PT test or allow them to ruckmarch 12 miles any faster than usual.

There is also a robust Pre-RASP program that we did not have back when we went to RIP. This is a great addition to help prepare soldiers for selection but even the best preparatory program would increase the graduation rates by perhaps 5% or 10% on the very high end. Pre-RASP does not explain an alarming 80% graduation rate.
Ranger Selection

RASP is a critical phase in developing, screening, and vetting young Rangers just like SFAS and BUD/S is for Special Forces and SEALs. Several years ago the Ranger Indoctrination Program was updated from three weeks to eight weeks when it turned into RASP, a much needed change considering the increased level of professionalization that has occurred in the Ranger Regiment during the War on Terror. Former and active duty Rangers applauded the new changes and standards were maintained with graduation rates as low as 24%.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/9028/why-are-standards-plummeting-in-the-ranger-assessment-and-selection-program/#ixzz207OJdMzE

This is the 1st time I have read anything from http://sofrep.com/
Any opinions about them?? Is Jack Murphy another blogger like MY??

http://sofrep.com/usasoc/jack-murphy/

:munchin

miclo18d
07-09-2012, 07:18
I went through RIP in December of 1988 and we graduated similar numbers.

IIRC most of the failures were for the swim test. We didn't have to take an MMPI back then which I think they have to know, which could get the psycho problems.

When you went to RIP, you did your best to pass, even when we were at the top of Cardiac Hill which we finished EVERY run and road march there with some kind of torturous event.. The PT wasn't that hard for 120 18 y/o crazies that WANTED to be Rangers. I think we graduated around 100 but that's a bit fuzzy.

BTW Jesse Laye was the Commandant when I went through, I don't think he was a softy.

It happens.

ECUPirate09
07-09-2012, 09:42
The Reaper has stated on a few different threads here that he saw an 80% selection rate with an SFAS class once. I guess eventually the stars align for some classes.

I have occassionally read some of the material on Sofrep. I would assume (and it's purely a guess based on my reading of these two website) that some of the QPs here hold Jack Murphy, Brandon Webb and that website in low regard.

MOO. YMMV.

sinjefe
07-09-2012, 09:49
The Reaper has stated on a few different threads here that he saw an 80% selection rate with an SFAS class once. I guess eventually the stars align for some classes.

I have occassionally read some of the material on Sofrep. I would assume (and it's purely a guess based on my reading of these two website) that some of the QPs here hold Jack Murphy, Brandon Webb and that website in low regard.

MOO. YMMV.

I, personally, don't read SOFREP because I (again, personally) think they have an agenda.

JJ_BPK
07-09-2012, 09:57
I, personally, don't read SOFREP because I (again, personally) think they have an agenda.

Agreed,, I got a tingly feeling when I read the article..

Maybe the mods should erase this thread..

No need to stir a pot when it doesn't need help.. :mad:

SFOC0173
08-20-2012, 15:18

Respectfully, was wondering if you would share what the agenda is?

Eagle5US
08-20-2012, 15:26
Preparation for class 2-13 perhaps....:rolleyes:

Dreadnought
08-21-2012, 13:34
My first RIP class graduated at about that percentage. Nothing special, just a great bunch of dudes. My second RIP class graduated a lower percentage, and in my opinion it was "easier."

The standards and historic attrition rate alone do not dictate how a class will ultimately perform. If 120 out of 130 guys can get through the standards and everything else involved to make RIP/RASP a miserable experience, then so be it. They've earned their go at that particular station. Their Battalion will further select and assess them.

sinjefe
08-21-2012, 14:05
Respectfully, was wondering if you would share what the agenda is?

If you're asking, there is no use in explaining.

69harley
08-21-2012, 14:38
Made it through RIP during the summer of '85. Regimental RIP was realitively new then and many of the NCOs in the Bn sort of thought that us Regimantal 'RIP-ees' had gotten over. I seriously doubt RASP is any easier than RIP was or that any standards have been lowered. Things change, doesn't make them any easier, just different.

PS- Montcalm, Scaglione and Conrad were some of the cadre in my RIP class. I never knew there were so many abb excersises until I met SSG Montcalm, same for the pushup and SSG Scaglione.

Stras
08-24-2012, 11:56
Made it through RIP during the summer of '85. Regimental RIP was realitively new then and many of the NCOs in the Bn sort of thought that us Regimantal 'RIP-ees' had gotten over. I seriously doubt RASP is any easier than RIP was or that any standards have been lowered. Things change, doesn't make them any easier, just different.

PS- Montcalm, Scaglione and Conrad were some of the cadre in my RIP class. I never knew there were so many abb excersises until I met SSG Montcalm, same for the pushup and SSG Scaglione.

Then there was SFC Bohanen and the hundreds of flutter kicks with a full can of Copenhagen in his mouth in 1989.

miclo18d
08-24-2012, 18:27
Then there was SFC Bohanen and the hundreds of flutter kicks with a full can of Copenhagen in his mouth in 1989.

That guy was scary! He was the Airborne Liaison when I went through Airborne school in 88. Later, I bumped into him getting ready to run PT with RIP students. He had a big dip in and was drinking coffee and IIRC smoking a cigarette too! He could run 6 minute miles with that dip in his mouth!