PDA

View Full Version : Debate Pointers for POTUS

Gypsy
10-12-2004, 18:37
I'm looking forward to the final debate tomorrow. I think this author makes a cogent presentation of ideas for POTUS to follow....

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/mbayham/2004/mb_1012.shtml

Debate Pointers For The President
By Mike Bayham
October 12, 2004

After a disappointing showing in his first debate with Senator John Kerry, President Bush enjoyed a solid rebound in the second match-up. Combined with Dick Cheney's whipping of John Edwards, who entered his face-off with the Vice-President trying to project an aura reminiscent of JFK and limped out looking like Dan Quayle on a bad day, the Republican base felt a sense of reassurance while their opposition had little to crow about.

An ABC poll taken after the verbal contest between the President and his potential usurper gave a mere 3% edge to Kerry, which in comparing that very modest margin to his "landslide" in the first meeting, will give the Massachusetts Democrat little added momentum.

George W. Bush, on the other hand, exceeded justifiably low expectations and his three-point trailing is a victory when taking into consideration that the notoriously ineloquent Bush virtually matched the performance of a lawyer who drones on in the well of the Senate for a living.

With the final rhetorical duel approaching this Wednesday evening, John Kerry is looking for that strong uppercut that will knock the president off balance. Bush, in contrast, needs to only keep it competitive, since his general leadership qualities and strong support by Americans of his anti-terror policies can supplement his shortcomings concerning enunciation and extemporaneous speaking.

Not that anyone from the White House reads my column, but in the off chance that Karl Rove's cousin's nephew's aunt's ex-college roommate does make a habit of perusing my weekly rants, this is what I would make sure to hit Kerry on come Wednesday.

1) Senator Do Nothing - Rather than attack his liberal streak as a legislator, Bush would be better served to tackle Kerry's lack of accomplishment after spending two decades in the US Senate. As the country is already polarized ideologically, the only true undecided voters out there are those who do not think in terms of parties or labels. Spouting off the claim by the "National Journal" that Kerry is the most liberal member of Congress' upper chamber will pay few dividends with those voters who have not made up their mind. However, exposing Kerry's unimpressive record as a member of the US Senate will win over those voters who want a "do'er" not a "talker".

2) The Ghouling of America - The House of Shock has nothing on the DNC when it comes to scaring people. Since the Democrats are generally bankrupt of innovative AND practical ideas, they are usually compelled to tossing sheets on their heads (no offense Senator Byrd) and rattling chains in order to scare people from voting Republican.

Specifically, Bush should rap Kerry for trying to frighten America's mothers through his fraudulent claims and innuendos about the prospect of a resurrection of the draft, making sure to point out that the Democratic bill to do so was killed by the Republican leadership in Congress.

3) Decisive Leadership - The characteristic that helped Ronald Reagan win over voters who did not subscribe to his policies was leadership. Bush should emphasize that as President, his decisions are based upon principle, not polls or political expediency. This area is a great setup for a reiteration of the reason why Kerry shifted his positions on the war.

4) Use Your Allusion - The President's biggest problem concerning his first encounter with Kerry was that he seemed to be parroting talking points in repetition rather than issuing diverse, original statements. As the country is very familiar with Kerry's "I voted for it before I voted against it" line, it is time for that soundbyte to be laid to rest, though a casual, non-verbatim allusion to it would be in order. Bush should offer fresh material or when necessary to repeat the already overstated, package it with new wording. The more loquacious the President is during the debate, the stronger perception he will leave with the viewers.

5) "Ambulance Chasing" Doctors Away - Though the President is quite proud of his expansion of Medicare, there is a much more effective way to pounce on his adversary than repeating policy not everyone is able to grasp. The trial lawyer angle is clearly an Achilles heel for Kerry and Edwards, and both became very defensive when both the President and the Vice-President cited frivolous lawsuits as a reason for the increased cost of healthcare. While they were on the right road, I believe the Republican ticket failed to cover another grave consequence of triallawyerism.

Because of the cost of liability protection, there are communities throughout America that lack proper access to physicians because many doctors have had to pack up and leave due to the high insurance premiums and slew of lawsuits that have hit their colleagues. While paying so much for health care is a point of great annoyance, not being able to see a doctor because so many have retreated in the wake of "get rich quick" litigation is the most damaging and damning legacy of trial lawyers and is an argument that the Kerry-Edwards tandem cannot avoid by hiding behind their bogus 1% added cost figure.

The polls are currently split with the "Washington Post" giving Bush a majority of 51% and a 5 point spread over Kerry while Zogby has Kerry leading the President by 3. Because of the expectations game, Kerry needs a knockout while the President can just as easily endure a split decision. If the President can pick Kerry apart by not losing the audience in the details but instead paint an unflattering picture of his opponent without employing "bumpersticker" slogans, the design work on the "Hillary 2008" signs will soon begin in earnest.

The Reaper
10-12-2004, 19:08
Also work in the elections in Afghanistan and pending in Iraq, the Kerry's vast wealth and failure to pay a proportionate share of taxes, Edwards incorporation as a Chapter S Corp to avoid paying Social Security and Medicare taxes, Kerry's refusal to release his FULL military record, the fact that despite inheriting a recession and that we are at war, the recovery continues and the last year has been beyond expectations, the fact that no further terrorist attacks have taken place in the U.S., that the current program has the military killing terrorsists in their backyard, rather than in our backyards, that he has proposed more legislation in 4 years than Kerry has in 20, that he has reduced, rather than raised taxes, including the overtaxed middle and upper classes (like Sen Kerry), that he never discussed the assassination of a U.S. Senator while still technically in uniform, that he never provided aid and comfort to the enemy or caused U.S. POWs to be tortured or demoralized, etc.

Just my .02 as well.

TR

Gypsy
10-12-2004, 19:14
Excellent additions Sir. I really want to see the President come out swinging on the offense with these issues and not be in the position of "reactive", let sKerry do the defensive flip flop dance he does so well.

brownapple
10-12-2004, 20:11
I was surprised to learn that my suggestions from the first debate were forwarded to the President. I think Tony has hit the salient points, although if John F. Kerry brought up his "I served my country as a young man" of "I'll lead these men as I did those" type of comment, I might just ask about the POW/MIA committee.

Ambush Master
10-12-2004, 20:27
I'd bet a One Hundred Dollar Bill against a Hole in a Donut that there is a "Less than Honorable" Discharge in those un-disclosed records !!!

Gypsy
10-12-2004, 20:29
Ahh yes AM, and I still want to know (and I'm sure I am not alone) why was he not "honorably discharged" until 2001?!