PDA

View Full Version : Opinion request...

BryanK
07-06-2012, 13:49
Good afternoon everyone,

I am humbly requesting opinions for a business idea I've been pondering. I want to start a "mobile" firearm cleaning/servicing business. Basically I go to people’s houses, ranges or shooting clubs for a fee to clean guns, bore sight (collimator), and mount scopes. Just like we have armorer’s range-side during weapons qualification and familiarization fire, why not for civilians? As it may not necessarily pertain to the QP's, maybe some people QP's here know?

I have a rudimentary business plan, but it is in .docx format and will not upload. I sent an email to BATFE to see the Federal view on the matter, and I have yet to contact the state. I just want to see if a resource like this would have its uses to anyone before going all out. Thanks for your time.

head
07-06-2012, 14:27
2 cents...

First thing that came to my mind is liability. You're going to have the finger pointed your way as soon as some jackass who f'd something up has a catastrophic failure sometime after you serviced it.

Second, I would think people who have enough of a healthy interest in guns to actually own them also enjoy cleaning and sighting their guns. I know I'm always going to clean my own weapons. As far as military experience of having an armorer on the range... only happened two times, basic and range week during SUT, and because there were so many well-used weapons to deal with. They weren't there to clean guns but just to figure out why your rifle was having a failure to extract every three rounds... maybe swap out your bolt, but usually to tell you to clean it better and lube it up.

Roguish Lawyer
07-06-2012, 14:53
2 cents...

First thing that came to my mind is liability. You're going to have the finger pointed your way as soon as some jackass who f'd something up has a catastrophic failure sometime after you serviced it.

For those of you who don't think frivolous lawsuits impede commerce, I present Exhibit A.

Rob_Frey
07-06-2012, 14:59
A friend of mine suggested I do the same thing at the local Trap club. But as 'head' said, you're going to need liability insurance to cover yourself. Next, can you afford to carry an inventory of spare parts to fix the most common guns and problems seen locally. A solid, secure vise to put the guns in will need to be attached to your vehicle. When I was working as a gunsmith the level of cleaning that was expected meant a COMPLETE disassembly. Not losing small parts could be difficult working off of the back of a vehicle. Just cleaning their barrel will not be requested much except for rifle barrels, and then they will expect all powder and copper fouling to be removed.

Re-save your business plan as 97-2003 format (Compatibility Mode) and it might upload.

head
07-06-2012, 15:24
For those of you who don't think frivolous lawsuits impede commerce, I present Exhibit A.

I'm not trying to discourage him - just "CYA" is my first instinct when working in the civ sector.

The Reaper
07-06-2012, 17:08
You are also going to need an FFL to operate as a gunsmith.

TR

Buffalobob
07-06-2012, 18:32
Bryan
Go see Eddie Harren in Ijamsville Md and talk to him. Dirty guns is a big problem and I am one of his best customers in that respect. I clean my guns religiously but am sloppy and get solvent into the actions which creates a whole different category of problem.

Cleaning a extremely dirty rifle takes days not hours. Your best friend will be a TV'ed borescope so your customer can see the inside of the barrel.

Eddie is a USMC from the RVN era and a great guy. He is about finished building me a pig hunting rifle.

Dusty
07-06-2012, 19:29
Bryan
Cleaning a extremely dirty rifle takes days not hours. Your best friend will be a TV'ed borescope so your customer can see the inside of the barrel.

It's haaaaaard to get 'em clean enough for a TV borescope...

alelks
07-06-2012, 19:37
You're supposed to clean them???????

Barbarian
07-07-2012, 14:06

Lol.

My .0000000002:

I personally enjoy cleaning my firearms, and would prefer to do it myself. Most everyone I know at the ranges I sometimes patronize, similarly, would prefer to do their own gun maintenance.

That, combined with the obvious liabilities, might make it difficult to earn an acceptable profit. My opinion only.

ZonieDiver
07-07-2012, 22:38

I thought that was what LSA was for!

Remington Raidr
07-07-2012, 23:29
even though you will be onsite, you will prolly want to consider bonding along with liability insurance, as you are handling other people's property. All I have is a .38 cal copper off-duty snub that I haven't touched in eight years (it was a gift from a copper's widow). I guesss, deep down, I am afraid of what I will find. At this point, it's not a weapon, it's a symbol.:rolleyes:

BryanK
07-09-2012, 06:38
Thank you everyone for the informative responses. I am currently awaiting replies from 3 insurance companies, and the BATFE. From the FAQ section of the BATFE website:

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. [27 CFR 478.11]

I will not be performing any of this until I get an FFL, but disassembly/reassembly hasn't been mentioned yet in 27 CFR. I haven't finished reading it yet though. I'll have to look into the getting bonded issue too apparently.
So from the looks of it, some of you would find this service useful. This is just for part-time supplemental income for the time being until I get set-up as a gunsmith which could take a couple years (mills & lathes are expensive!). Thanks again everyone.

ETA: Thanks Buffalobob for the contact.