PDA

View Full Version : SuRROUND SOUND

kgoerz
07-05-2012, 16:07
Anyone know of a good surround sound program for a computer

JJ_BPK
07-05-2012, 16:26
Unless you have an old POS,, your sound card should support 5:1 surround.

It may just be your speakers. A simple statement,, that can run big $$$$. :mad:

What is your setup?? :munchin

kgoerz
07-05-2012, 16:43
just running a 5.1 off my laptop docking station. looking for a program that will give me sound enhancements or surround sound.

Papa Zero Three
07-05-2012, 16:45
Anyone know of a good surround sound program for a computer

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.srslabs.com/content.aspx?id=1880

JJ_BPK
07-05-2012, 17:39
just running a 5.1 off my laptop docking station. looking for a program that will give me sound enhancements or surround sound.

Here is a short explanation and example of how you can do it. I don't know how good this is.. :munchin

Princeton invention delivers 3D sound from ordinary laptop speakers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0)

For the money,, a good set of ear buds could also be used..

Caveat: With my tonitis,, I need the speakers up to about 90bd,, but the neighbors don't like my music.. :D

Kyobanim
07-05-2012, 18:41
You say you're docked, what speakers do you have? are they really a surround sound system? What laptop and OS? New or old?

Streck-Fu
07-05-2012, 18:48
Do you have a dedicated sound card? As in, more outputs than the 3.5mm jack output?

If not, you can buy a very good sound card and 5.1 computer speakers for <$200.

kgoerz
07-06-2012, 16:21
yes its a docking station with a 5.1 hook up. It's a 5.1 speaker system. But no program to set up speaker levels. I downloaded SRS and speakers stopped working. Other then that it was exactly what I was looking for.

Kyobanim
07-06-2012, 17:05
Ok, if it's a Windows system, go to the control panel and click the sound icon. This will open a window that has 4 tabs, Playback, recording, sounds, communications.

On the Playback tab right click the speakers that apply to what you have and choose Configure Speakers. If it is a true 5.1 system you will be able to adjust the levels, etc.

you may need to refer to the laptop mfg support page to get specific instructions/drivers for the device.

Hope this helps.

If this is a Mac, I'm sorry. :p

JJ_BPK
07-06-2012, 17:20
yes its a docking station with a 5.1 hook up. It's a 5.1 speaker system. But no program to set up speaker levels. I downloaded SRS and speakers stopped working. Other then that it was exactly what I was looking for.

what Kyobanim says,,

if that don't work,,

I would see if there is downloadable software package for
your manufacture/model speaker,,
OR the maker of the audio card,,
OR the maker of the laptop.

IBM and Dell are notorious for bundling OEM chip sets and supplying proprietary drivers and software..

OR,,

Here is a list of the C-net audio enhancement software packages, some free, sorted by user ratings..

http://download.cnet.com/windows/audio-plugins/?tag=mncol%3Bsort&rpp=30&sort=userRating+asc

I suspect the SRS package is not compatible with your system..

Good luck..