PDA

View Full Version : New Blade material to check out.

Les George
07-05-2012, 08:47
It was good to see some of you guys at Blade show, missed Mr Bill ;)

Check this stuff out, I think it has ground up unicorn antlers in it...

http://www.summitmaterials.com/sm-100/

I have been carrying a knife with this blade material for about 6 weeks now.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx324/georgeknives/Snapbucket/EFFBF3A4-orig.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx324/georgeknives/Snapbucket/F3BC56F5-orig.jpg

So far, it's been pretty fine. Considering it's non magnetic (I had some of it LowMU tested by the Navy) and non corrosive as put forth by NASA, it's pretty awesome. At least compared to other materials in that class, ie other Titanium, Stellite and such...

In comparison to high end blade steels, it's OK. With my one blade of experience, it probably wont ever out cut a lot of the higher end blade steels but it will cut fine, so far for quite a while.

I think it has a lot of potential in a lot of applications, lighter, stronger, faster Ect..

What do you guys think? :munchin

JJ_BPK
07-05-2012, 10:24
Is the blade a forged welding of several layers? The hamon line almost look like the outside is copper??

Also looks like it's fairly large??

How is this material on a cost basis??

:lifter

DDD
07-05-2012, 11:08
I got to finger f#@k this knife at Blade... All I can say is damn the commandment about coveting your neighbor's stuff:p The stuff is off the hook expensive (I'll let Les speak to the specifics) to the point that the only way I'd ever be able to own one involves a convoluted scenario wherein Les has a child and me saving said child's life,
then maybe, maybe I could get him to make one for the price of materials. Even that would mean a year or so of scrimping and saving:eek:

Ambush Master
07-05-2012, 11:28
Is the blade a forged welding of several layers? The hamon line almost look like the outside is copper??

This will WAKE'YA UP: http://www.summitmaterials.com/products-page/

18.125″ x 5.5″ x 0.123″ As-Hot Rolled SM-100 Bar Stock $915.00!!!!

Dusty
07-05-2012, 12:05
This will WAKE'YA UP: http://www.summitmaterials.com/products-page/

(Don't get any bright ideas, Barbarian.) :D

JJ_BPK
07-05-2012, 13:10
This will WAKE'YA UP: 18.125″ x 5.5″ x 0.123″ As-Hot Rolled SM-100 Bar Stock $915.00!!!!

Tank Q Berry Much.. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

tonyz
07-05-2012, 13:15

Great, at that price Glenn Beck will be touting that shit shortly.

Barbarian
07-05-2012, 15:05
@Dusty
You mean you don't want to buy a $700 piggy jabber?

DDD
07-05-2012, 16:47
You mean you don't want to buy a $700 piggy jabber?

If I could talk Les into making me one for $750 I'd already have my order in:p

Barbarian
07-06-2012, 08:19
If I could talk Les into making me one for $750 I'd already have my order in.:p

Uh oh....

That's how the sickness starts. Soon you'll be telling us you've bought a grinder, and have started making the wife/gf park outside the garage....

Then all your friends will stop hanging out at your house, because if your not busy grinding steel, you start talking about nothing but knife design....

From there, it's just a downward spiral. :D

DJ Urbanovsky
07-06-2012, 12:13
Les and I discussed this material a bit at the show. When he handed me his personal knife, I was all like "What the hell is this stuff? It's really cool!" "It's Titanium," he says. I'm like "C'mon, man. Really? A Ti knife? Why?" You non-knifemakers should understand that the standard Ti we use in knives Rockwells around 35 on the top end. Not an ideal material for a cutting tool. This is what I'm thinking until Les tells me that this stuff Rockwells at 60! Then I was all :eek:. Then I read the slick from Summit... Double :eek:.

I could not stop thinking about that knife, or the material. The gears were turning. So on the drive home, I got it in my stupid head that it would be cool to make an axe out of it. Out came the laptop, and I fired up my CAD software...

So needless to say, I called Summit as soon as I got home.

A hunk of the appropriate dimensions for what I want to do would run me around $700-$750. That's before I've done a single thing to it. It's not as expensive as gold, but... :eek:

About 10-12x the price of a similar quantity of high tech stainless.

Not convinced that it would be an ideal material for an axe, so of course I'd have to do one or two and beat the hell out of them... :boohoo

Les George
07-07-2012, 07:23

I should have spoke to that before. It's one solid piece of material. The hamon like appearance is just the oxide layer from the heat treat. I have no idea if we can do that again! I sure hope so.

Also, don't get wrapped around the axle on the price. we all know the command has a blank check book for just such thing. :cool:

It did take a while to convince DJ I wasn't yankin his chain, that was pretty funny.

:D