PDA

View Full Version : DSN Changer, MalWare..

JJ_BPK
07-05-2012, 05:23
I was asked last night by a neighbor if I had read about the big malware problem coming up. I said NO,, Seems a lot of people are getting emails from the FBI/GOV about a problem,, IF you have the malware. They already know who has the malware installed, because they arrested the hacker last year(read for details)

If you don't( I don't) you don't get the email. I think???

FBI Explanation:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

Go to this site, it's has links to an online test.

How can you detect if your computer has been violated and infected with DNS Changer?

An industry wide team has developed easy "are you infected" web sites. They are a quick way to determine if you are infected with DNS Changer. Each site is designed for any normal computer user to browse to a link, follow the instructions, and see if they might be infected. Each site has instructions in their local languages on the next steps to clean up possible infections.

http://www.dcwg.org

greenberetTFS
07-05-2012, 12:12
I just used it....... :D MacScan trial version,it found 71 problems and cleaned them all up........... ;) Excellent post JJ............:lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

Badger52
07-08-2012, 11:37
BLUF: For those reticent about going to an FBI-recommended website to have their computer "checked" it is possible to read the FBI doc, follow its instructions, and check yourself to see if your system is using the IP addresses of the rogue DNS servers. (The Fed doc is long way 'round the barn but they had to address the bulk of personal gear in common use.)

Read the doc, learn how to check what network addresses are running on your computer, and then do it. This effort's been ongoing for awhile and was announced as soon as they could make their operation public. So if you DO find your machine still has one (or more) of the rogue DNS IP addresses in - for that long - you've probably got other issues that need to be checked too, this far down the road.

PSA: For those KD's who may have had someone plug in that nifty WiFi router in their house, make sure they tell you the admin password for it. (This is different than the "connect" password that lets guests/deployed kin connect in your house when they come by.) Once they give the router password to you:
CHANGE IT!

We return now to our regularly-scheduled Zombie Apocalypse.
:D