PDA

View Full Version : EIB.........

greenberetTFS
07-03-2012, 14:23
I never earned a CIB,however at 18 while serving with the 82nd-505 PIR-C Company,I got the opportunity to go for the EIB..;) I made it and as a PFC,but I was promoted to Corporal within days.......:D Any of you peace time warriors earn one......? I came across these requirements and it was almost 60 years ago and some changes are M1 and BAR,if memory services me right..:cool:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/EIB/EIB_Information/eligibility-requirements--2.shtml

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/EIB/EIB_Information/eib-stations-points-tasks.shtml

Big Teddy :munchin

head
07-03-2012, 16:33
Even during these wars, the 82nd was still runnin' EIB lanes when they were back. If you were fortunate to be back at the same time when they were running and not committed to something else, Group guys could earn theirs too. I never got the chance though I wanted to... it's still a mark of distinction that has to be earned.

Dusty
07-03-2012, 17:04
That brings back memories. When I got mine in Germany, only one other guy got it because of the full value, gale force, right-to-left wind on the rifle range. Your point of aim had to be nearly 2 feet upwind of the target to hit it at 300 meters.

After the LTC awarded us the badges, he instructed "Left Face" to march us off the stage. I, of course, did a right face. :D He muttered, "I oughtta take that badge back", and snickered.

bravo22b
07-03-2012, 17:16
I got mine in 1993. I'm sure everyone has a story about which station had the "badge protectors" running it. For us it was the IMT lane...they had a M16 with a 4x scope and a highly zeroed MILES laser. There was very little cover or concealment at the start point, and most guys got hit before they even got 5 meters.

Interestingly, I just skimmed the 2007 EIB standards, and it appears that getting "hit" no longer is a NO-GO. That would have been made my life a hell of a lot easier.

Dusty
07-03-2012, 18:56
I got mine in 1993. I'm sure everyone has a story about which station had the "badge protectors" running it. For us it was the IMT lane...they had a M16 with a 4x scope and a highly zeroed MILES laser. There was very little cover or concealment at the start point, and most guys got hit before they even got 5 meters.

Interestingly, I just skimmed the 2007 EIB standards, and it appears that getting "hit" no longer is a NO-GO. That would have been made my life a hell of a lot easier.

Sports bras are allowed now, too. :D

shortbrownguy
07-04-2012, 06:01
Big Teddy- I earned my EIB while I was in C co. 1- 505 ;).

SBG

MK262MOD1
07-04-2012, 06:57
I earned mine after I was awarded my CIB. Good times.

greenberetTFS
07-04-2012, 09:08
Big Teddy- I earned my EIB while I was in C co. 1- 505.

SBG

What years?......;) Mine was 1955-56........:D The 505 at that time had those WW2 barracks in what was then called the "old division" area..........:cool:

greenberetTFS
07-04-2012, 09:09
I earned mine after I was awarded my CIB. Good times.

Are you allowed to wear both?........:rolleyes:

SF_BHT
07-04-2012, 09:23
Are you allowed to wear both?........:rolleyes:

No you can only wear one or the other.

I used to wear my EIB more since it was harder to earn at the time. I proudly wore both at different times depending on my mood. Some thought that was odd and gave me grief, but I did not wear badges on most of my uniforms just rank, name, US Army and unit patch on 90 % of my uniforms.

shortbrownguy
07-04-2012, 11:04
What years?......;) Mine was 1955-56........:D The 505 at that time had those WW2 barracks in what was then called the old division area..........:cool:

Big Teddy

I believe it was early 2005. I went to Selection not to long after. Back in my day:D, 1 Panther was still in the WWII style barracks on Ardenness(Old Division).

SBG

greenberetTFS
07-04-2012, 11:11
I believe it was early 2005. I went to Selection not to long after. Back in my day:D, 1 Panther was still in the WWII style barracks on Ardenness(Old Division).

SBG

No shit,well i'll be damned,they didn't knock down those barracks...........:rolleyes:
I can imagine the shape they had to be in after all those years,are they still up?......:eek:

cant hardly
07-04-2012, 12:49

18C4V
07-04-2012, 13:06
I got mine in peace time as PFC. I got my CIB in 2002 in OEF.

shortbrownguy
07-04-2012, 14:30
No shit,well i'll be damned,they didn't knock down those barracks...........:rolleyes:
I can imagine the shape they had to be in after all those years,are they still up?......:eek:

Lets just say the conditions of those barracks were less than ideal:eek:. They were knocked down in 2008,and are being replaced with dormitory style housing.

SBG

The Reaper
07-04-2012, 20:35

SBG

I don't think the 82nd barracks between Gruber and Ardennes were the WWII barracks Teddy is referring to. Those cinder block barracks were built in the 60's IIRC.

He means the splinter barracks down off Butner next to Pope. They were built during WWII. I stayed in them in a platoon bay in 1978. SOPC was there back till at least 2005 or so, and 4-3 SFG(A) was in them in 2009.

TR

MK262MOD1
07-05-2012, 08:54
That is correct. They were 70s era buildings.

Protivnik
09-30-2012, 15:16
I earned the EIB last year using the EIB 22 standards, which consisted of marksmanship, APFT, day/night landnav, patrol/TCP/urban lanes, and the ruckmarch.

I didn't feel badge protected but some of my comrades who were physically superior to me didnt pass the APFT which I found odd.

I feel as though the tasks performed during EIB are done to a Hollywood standard, and aren't very realistic, but at the same time you're studying the tasks and doing them to a standard that requires a little intelligence memorize.

CDRODA396
09-30-2012, 16:46
I don't think the 82nd barracks between Gruber and Ardennes were the WWII barracks Teddy is referring to. Those cinder block barracks were built in the 60's IIRC.

He means the splinter barracks down off Butner next to Pope. They were built during WWII. I stayed in them in a platoon bay in 1978. SOPC was there back till at least 2005 or so, and 4-3 SFG(A) was in them in 2009.

TR

And the 18A Committee runs a FID FTX out of a couple of them today, as well as uses them as an ISOFAC for a UW FTX...if the Army only got as much value out of everything it bought!

I also got my EIB with 2-504 in the fall of 1989, and replaced it with a CIB in December.

Divemaster
02-16-2013, 03:52
I earned my EIB in 1987 with 3/9 Manchus (Ft. Ord, 7th ID (L) as an SP4 after failing in '86 as a PFC. Both times I felt the standards on some of the tasks were ridiculous (ok, F'ing stupid as in how you took the Dragon off your shoulder), perhaps reflecting a peace time Army. However, my company CDR did get a no-go on the Claymore lane because he could read Front Towards Enemy as he finished that task. Hey, his degree was in French (no shit).

Once you earned the EIB your reward was to be a lane grader on next year's test. I was NCOIC of land nav in '88 (a few months before the Q). Our CSM came out and was telling stories. He was asked why he went to Vietnam twice. Here, he takes up the story. "I went there to test for my CIB. There was only one station, Move Under Direct Fire. I got a no-go. Six months later I went back to retest."

Unlike the good CSM, earning my EIB was more difficult than my CIB, but the stakes were a bit higher for the latter so I value it more.

I do have to say that a few years later as a lane grader in SF there was peer pressure to let guys slide through. I was not popular that week.

Chairborne64
02-18-2013, 18:45
Divemaster,

Now that is a coincidence. I earned my EIB in 1998 with 4/21 IN at Fort Ord after failing in 87. A good chance you were one of the graders for me.:lifter

sharkmanII
02-19-2013, 06:18
I arrived to Schofield in Feb 1981, B Co, 1/21 Gimlets. I was to late (and to green) that year to try out for the EIB. But the next year, WATCH OUT, boy was I ready and boy did I get schooled to the ways of the EIB "protectors of the badge" (darn call for fire)! So that next year I worked and studied and made sure I had all of my skills honed and my last station was the call for fire and I blew it out of the water!! Every year after that I ended up on the test committee and swore I would not be a protector. It used to PI$$ me off at the # of officers that would try to push their way through a station and expect some "extra" consideration to their sub-standard performance, especially the guys that wore a Masons ring! I later earned my CIB in Desert Storm. :lifter

longrange1947
02-19-2013, 09:14
Then there is the EFMB. :munchin :D

MR2
02-19-2013, 09:21
Then there is the EFMB. :munchin :D

That deserves its own Thread of lies... ;)

Fonzy
02-19-2013, 10:52
Earned mine as a SPC back in 2006 while drinking coffee ... err, I mean on deployment to Kosovo.

To be quite honest, I went for it for the wrong reasons. I was plain bored "on mission" in Kosovo and soldiers who went for their EIB were allowed to stay back for the course (that should say a lot about our op tempo).

Afterwards, I'm glad I went out for it. I was the only soldier in my company to go through at the time and managed to earn it. Probably some of the most fun training I had been through and it most certainly set me up for success later on down the road.

CANOPYx3
02-19-2013, 16:50
I think when greenberetTFS says "old Division area" he is talking about the WWII barracks on the other side of Longstreet. You might be too young to remember those. There are still a few around near Pike field. SWCS still uses some of them for running language classes.

Lets just say the conditions of those barracks were less than ideal:eek:. They were knocked down in 2008,and are being replaced with dormitory style housing.

SBG