PDA

View Full Version : End of unl. data verizon

Reppjp
06-28-2012, 13:28
This is my first time on this site in awhile. I have helped people on this site with Verizon in the past. I was just going to let you know about the new verizon rate plans. Dont kill the messager please.

As you know if you had the unlimited data feature you were "grandfathered" into the contract. Well now verizon has changed all of the plans to unlimited talk and text. No more 450/900/700/1400/2000 minute plan. Your current plan will not change until you upgrade your device, or start a new contract with Verizon. Once you upgrade you will have to pick how many gigabytes you want.

Verizon's reasoning to this is to "share everything." You will no longer be paying 30 bucks for internet accessiblity per phone (smartphone). Instead you will select up to 20 gigabytes for your family to share. This includes all phones, tablets, internet devices. Pretty much saves a great deal of money to larger accounts (4 lines or more) and screws 3 lines or less.

This was typed on my phone, and inbetween customers at my store. Sorry for any grammatical errors, and such. If you have any questions or need your account looked at feel free to ask.

Team Sergeant
06-28-2012, 13:42
This is my first time on this site in awhile. I have helped people on this site with Verizon in the past. I was just going to let you know about the new verizon rate plans. Dont kill the messager please.

As you know if you had the unlimited data feature you were "grandfathered" into the contract. Well now verizon has changed all of the plans to unlimited talk and text. No more 450/900/700/1400/2000 minute plan. Your current plan will not change until you upgrade your device, or start a new contract with Verizon. Once you upgrade you will have to pick how many gigabytes you want.

Verizon's reasoning to this is to "share everything." You will no longer be paying 30 bucks for internet accessiblity per phone (smartphone). Instead you will select up to 20 gigabytes for your family to share. This includes all phones, tablets, internet devices. Pretty much saves a great deal of money to larger accounts (4 lines or more) and screws 3 lines or less.

This was typed on my phone, and inbetween customers at my store. Sorry for any grammatical errors, and such. If you have any questions or need your account looked at feel free to ask.

Thanks, I planned to end my contract with Verizon as soon as my contract ends. I have an unlimited plan and read where Verizon will limit that plan anyway if they find you are a heavy user. If I was a heavy user I'd sue Verizon.

TrapLine
06-28-2012, 20:34
I can't imagine I will be renewing with Verizon once it is time to upgrade my iPhone to the next generation. My wife and I are pretty happy with our shared talk time plan that gives us both unlimited data. I guess we may have to do some research into the amount of data we are using...I like how the unlimited plan makes that unnecessary. Without that plan at upgrade time, we will probably check out the competition's menu.

MtnGoat
06-28-2012, 20:57

So what about having one cell phone & no family plan?

Hand
06-29-2012, 00:10

I'm in this category as well. I'll be shopping around as well when it's time to upgrade.

JJ_BPK
06-29-2012, 04:58
We have a family plan for our two phones, and unlimited data on my Dinc2.

Up until now, we have not been big users. Neither of us are wild about 4inch screens. They are for the young..

Additionally, We are in a weak G3 area. None of the services have strong data connections around here..

I purchased the wife a Ipad 2, wifi only, and figured to use my Dinc2 as a hot spot for those times when we didn't have access to the kids & friends wifi while traveling.

I also would like to know how to guess what data usage is. :confused:

:munchin

Hand
06-29-2012, 05:14

Up until now, we have not been big users. Neither of us are wild about 4inch screens. They are for the young..

Additionally, We are in a weak G3 area. None of the services have strong data connections around here..

I purchased the wife a Ipad 2, wifi only, and figured to use my Dinc2 as a hot spot for those times when we didn't have access to the kids & friends wifi while traveling.

QP JJ_BPK - If you look at your Verizon account on line, there is a utility under Useage I believe which will show you your data usage for the current billing cycle.

Remington Raidr
06-29-2012, 05:20
I have VWR broadband. Every couple billing cycles I get a offer to upgrade my device. The last time a guy from the local store left me a message to upgrade to 4G blah, blah, blah.

I asked him if I did that, would I be under a new agreement and subject to limitations. He checked and admitted that would be the fact. No thank you, sir.

I was one of those grandfathered in. Are you saying I should cut back so as to avoid being forced into a new plan with limitations.:confused:

Hand
06-29-2012, 06:59
From what I can gather on Verizon's site:

1 - If you are a current 3G subscriber and are grandfathered under the unlimited data plan, you can keep your unlimited data for as long as you maintain your current device/s.

2 - If you want to upgrade your device, you can do so AND maintain your grandfathered unlimited data, but you must pay full retail price for your new device.

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

JJ_BPK
06-29-2012, 07:12
QP JJ_BPK - If you look at your Verizon account on line, there is a utility under Useage I believe which will show you your data usage for the current billing cycle.

Copy,, but as I said we don't use the data side of my smart phone and have yet to set up the hot spot. I need to run some tests,, maybe put mama's ipad on the phones wifi hot spot for a couple days and take her off the house wifi..

JJ_BPK
06-29-2012, 07:16
I was one of those grandfathered in. Are you saying I should cut back so as to avoid being forced into a new plan with limitations.:confused:

YES,, IF

Verizon, et all, have started to throttle hi-volume data users by cutting their assess speed and/or flat stopping their access..

Immaterial of the new plans,, you need to be careful if you are a heavy user..

Reppjp
07-03-2012, 10:06
Sorry it took so long to respond. Hopefully this break down will help out.

One line still goes on the share everything plan which can hold up to 10 devices(includes basic phones, smart phones, tablets, home phone systems, netbooks/notebooks, and home phone devices)

Here is the break down of the plan:

Devices (cost per device)

Smart Phones = $40
Basic Phones = $30
JetPack/Mifi/Notebooks/Netbooks/USB Drives = $20
Tablets = $10

Share Everything Plans

300 Mb = $40
1 Gb = $50
2 Gb = $60
4 Gb = $70
6 Gb = $80
8 Gb = $90
10 Gb = $100
12 Gb = $120
14 Gb = $140
16 Gb = $160
18 Gb = $180
20 Gb = $200

*If only basic phones on the account one must use the 300 Mb ($40) Package.
*All plans have unlimited talk and text.

So to find out the cost of your plan before tax you can just do this:

I also would like to know how to guess what data usage is.

After you find out the amount of data you would like you just do this.
4 gb $70 (just a guess) + 2 smartphones +40 = $150 before tax. Good thing for you is that the hotspot is now free on the new plan, save you $20.

Same math for you MtnGoat, and for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raidr
I was one of those grandfathered in. Are you saying I should cut back so as to avoid being forced into a new plan with limitations.

YES,, IF

Verizon, et all, have started to throttle hi-volume data users by cutting their assess speed and/or flat stopping their access..

Immaterial of the new plans,, you need to be careful if you are a heavy user..

Usually to get throttled your using over 30 Gbs a month.

Here is verizon's data caluclator they swear upon
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp

Hand From what I can gather on Verizon's site:

1 - If you are a current 3G subscriber and are grandfathered under the unlimited data plan, you can keep your unlimited data for as long as you maintain your current device/s.

2 - If you want to upgrade your device, you can do so AND maintain your grandfathered unlimited data, but you must pay full retail price for your new device.

Quote:
You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

Yeah, unless we find a hidden trick somewhere the system will not allow us to keep unlimited data, unless on a device only change.

Sorry for the long post and sorry if I missed anyone.

sinjefe
07-03-2012, 10:35
Verizon's reasoning to this is to "share everything."

Why not? We are "sharing" risk with Obamacare, might as well have private companies start behaving like the government.

TrapLine
07-05-2012, 05:27
Here is the break down of the plan:

Devices (cost per device)

Smart Phones = $40
Basic Phones = $30
JetPack/Mifi/Notebooks/Netbooks/USB Drives = $20
Tablets = $10

Share Everything Plans

300 Mb = $40
1 Gb = $50
2 Gb = $60
4 Gb = $70
6 Gb = $80
8 Gb = $90
10 Gb = $100
12 Gb = $120
14 Gb = $140
16 Gb = $160
18 Gb = $180
20 Gb = $200

*If only basic phones on the account one must use the 300 Mb ($40) Package.
*All plans have unlimited talk and text.

So to find out the cost of your plan before tax you can just do this:

After you find out the amount of data you would like you just do this.
4 gb $70 (just a guess) + 2 smartphones +40 = $110 before tax. Good thing for you is that the hotspot is now free on the new plan, save you $20.

Reppjp, unless I am reading something wrong, the cost for the above plan would be $150 prior to tax. You have two smartphones @ $40, when the cost should be $40/device I believe. This is about the same plan my wife and I would be looking for, and would be an increase over what we currently have through Verizon.

MtnGoat
07-05-2012, 09:04

If you have one of those so called smart phones you can get a app to show what you are currently using. I save it straight to one of my pages to look at now...unlimited for now.

Reppjp
07-05-2012, 10:18
If you have one of those so called smart phones you can get a app to show what you are currently using. I save it straight to one of my pages to look at now...unlimited for now.

I use the "my verizon data usage widget." If you use the app it can show you a break down of everything.

@Trapline I just noticed that too. I am about to fix it, thank you for pointing it out. The emails I have been reading shows a savings in 40% in verizon users. From my experiences those 40% of accounts are the 5 line accounts, 3+ line accounts with the former unlimited plan, and business accounts.

TrapLine
07-05-2012, 11:28
I use the "my verizon data usage widget." If you use the app it can show you a break down of everything.

@Trapline I just noticed that too. I am about to fix it, thank you for pointing it out. The emails I have been reading shows a savings in 40% in verizon users. From my experiences those 40% of accountsal are the 5 line accounts, 3+ line accountd with the former unlimited plan, and business accounts.

No problem, I wish I would have been wrong;).