PDA

View Full Version : Who won? Arizona or Holder??

JJ_BPK
06-26-2012, 05:22
Partial Defeat for Arizona at Supreme Court, by Ken Klukowski 25 Jun 2012

Two important points at the outset about Arizona v. United States that the media isn’t discussing.

First, this case had nothing to do with whether Arizona’s law is constitutional. Despite the rhetoric from the White House and Eric Holder, the administration did not raise any constitutional challenges in court.

The only challenged provision to survive was the one empowering Arizona police to ask you for your immigration papers, and to check with federal authorities (who by law must answer) regarding the immigration status of anyone lawfully detained for other reasons. This was a significant victory for conservatives, since it was the most controversial and publicized aspect of the law.

Justice Antonin Scalia took the unusual step of reading part of his dissent from the bench. “The United States is an indivisible Union of sovereign states. Today’s opinion … deprives states of what most would consider the defining characteristic of sovereignty: the power to exclude from the sovereign’s territory people who have no right to be there. Neither the Constitution itself nor even any law passed by Congress supports this result.”

Scalia went on in what would have been an excellent majority opinion, adding, “As a sovereign, Arizona has the inherent power to exclude persons from its territory, subject only to those limitations expressed in the Constitution or constitutionally imposed by Congress. That power to exclude has long been recognized as inherent in sovereignty.”

continued:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/06/25/Partial-Defeat-for-Arizona-at-Supreme-Court

With this case as a framework for future States Rights legislation,, will we see other states creating laws that allow them to:

"As a sovereign, Arizona has the inherent power to exclude persons from its territory,"

I think so.. :lifter:D:lifter

Golf1echo
06-26-2012, 06:17
Debated where to post this but as this thread is current here is some of what Scalia had to say.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/arizona-dissent-scalia-blasts-obama-deportation-stay-immigration-185431255.html

Paslode
06-26-2012, 06:26
With this case as a framework for future States Rights legislation,, will we see other states creating laws that allow them to:

"As a sovereign, Arizona has the inherent power to exclude persons from its territory,"

Maybe just a matter of the States fine tuning their Legal Speak so it passes muster with the Jedi Masters in the SCOTUS. The issue will be back in the court just like the 2nd Amendment....unless the O gets a second term.

greenberetTFS
06-26-2012, 07:04
Maybe just a matter of the States fine tuning their Legal Speak so it passes muster with the Jedi Masters in the SCOTUS. The issue will be back in the court just like the 2nd Amendment....unless the O gets a second term.

Don't even think it.........:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

Paslode
06-26-2012, 07:37
Don't even think it.........:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

If I stay busy, I don't :D

Dusty
06-26-2012, 08:41
The current political atmosphere is like a jug of nitroglycerin, and they themselves know it. They literally may well be setting up a No-Go on Obamacare by softening up the lamestreamers with the AZ thing. Might be why Kennedy went pink on it.

I think Thursday all hell's gonna break loose anyway.

As long as I get to read a Gallup poll that put's Drunken Uncle Omar's choomer nephew at below 40% favorable, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

("ecstatic", to those of you from NYC.)

MR2
06-26-2012, 08:44

Ahh.. would that per chance include federal agents?

Richard
06-26-2012, 08:55
I've found this to be a good site if you're interested in constitutional law and the SCOTUS vs somebody's opinion.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/arizona-v-united-states

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Dusty
06-26-2012, 09:10
I've found this to be a good site if you're interested in constitutional law and the SCOTUS vs somebody's opinion.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/arizona-v-united-states

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Providing one has faith in the current iteration of the SCOTUS to know what the f.ck constitutes the Constitution.

I'm a little less than half-way there, personally.

ZonieDiver
06-26-2012, 09:44
Easy! Obama/Holder/'Big Sis'/Kagan won... going away.

The only comparison I can make for this beatdown is Heat v Thunder, or
more painfully) Kings v Coyotes!