PDA

View Full Version : 18E reading list?

ableonetwo
06-24-2012, 16:44
I just got selected as an 18E and am looking to do some train up while going through the Q course. I have an electronics background in car audio and circuits but am looking for some advice on areas to study to help prepare me for MOS phase. I know this isn't a 25m target but I'd rather start to familiarize myself now then come in blind later. So if anyone could throw out some areas or specific books that helped them in the beginning that would be great! I also did a bit of looking around on here but some info was posted a few years ago and I know how fast technology moves so I wanted to make sure I was getting up to date info. Thank you for all the help.

glebo
06-25-2012, 06:00
Congrats..

Try some Net+ and A+ material, along with the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) Antenna handbook.

All the equipment, they will teach you...just button pushing...

Cowgomoo
06-28-2012, 21:32
For A+ and Net+ material, I suggest looking into Mike Meyers' A+ and Network+ Passport books. They are pretty compact and well written study guides. I used them to pass the CompTIA certification tests and if you check out the reviews on Amazon, so have many others.

As far as radios go, I asked about this during my SFAS out brief and the response I received was to just go over the army TMs.

Paragrouper
06-29-2012, 05:29
For A+ and Net+ material, I suggest looking into Mike Meyers' A+ and Network+ Passport books. They are pretty compact and well written study guides. I used them to pass the CompTIA certification tests and if you check out the reviews on Amazon, so have many others.

As far as radios go, I asked about this during my SFAS out brief and the response I received was to just go over the army TMs.

Try TM 11-666 (Antennas and Radio Propagation). Its an old resource, but provides a basic understanding of RF propagation theory.

Ret10Echo
06-29-2012, 07:56
FM 24-18 Tactical Single Channel Radio Techniques

Simple to follow for those needing some fundamentals on RF and radio communications in general.

(available through multiple mediums online)

...and yes, it is OLD....but Physics is old as well.

Badger52
06-29-2012, 08:11
...and yes, it is OLD....but Physics is old as well.Yep, courts haven't struck that down yet.
:D

Congrats..

Try some Net+ and A+ material, along with the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) Antenna handbook.

All the equipment, they will teach you...just button pushing...Likewise congrats.

As glebo says operation of the current stuff seems to require less intuitive approach & they're going to feed that to you. A couple things you may want on your shelf that will stand you in good stead for a long time are the ARRL Antenna Book he already mentioned and one of the services' versions of the DoD Field Antenna Handbook.

On the former only a % of the material gets updated year-to-year, hence it's a classic. However, the current version includes on CD a limited version of the EZNEC antenna modeling program. While not having full product capability, it has ALOT of sample files you can modify to let you look at "what if" situations, changing a variable or length of a wire or height above ground etc. But the book itself is worth having on your shelf for the price of admission.

As to the latter, awhile back DoD commissioned a solid Field Antenna Handbook and all the services naturally did their own version. Can be downloaded, but you want to acquire this in your hands, in the soft-bound "field-jacket" size book it was intended to be. My view is that the USMC version has the best quality illustrations (MCRP 6-22D). Good basics, discussion of propagation, antenna types & choices, etc.

Best of luck to you.
:)

glebo
06-29-2012, 10:18
An FYI to all, maybe new thread??..

Anyway, there's a couple of instructors on the echo committee that conduct Amature Radio Classes (Ham) about 1-2 nights a week after the training day.

It averages to about 8-10 guys a class. (Volunteer effort only)

After the content from the echo crs, and their info from the ARRL/FCC, the guys test out for their amature license....cool deal..

So far, I think we have about 40-50 new Hams so far:lifter

jrygalski
06-29-2012, 14:36
Congrats as well!

I am not too familiar with many of the folks here, but will heartily vouch for the words and messages from Glebo and ParaGrouper as they were mentors for me during the course and first assignment. :lifter

The Amateur Radio course/study is an excellent path and I suggest actually practicing what is learned rather than just obtaining book knowledge.

If you know anybody in a Cell Phone Field Technician/Engineer or RF Engineer role, they will also be a valuable resource. They can help you understand the application of Radio Wave Propagation from their perspective as well as possibly show you some actual equipment including test devices and software.

If you i-Phone or Android, look for some Cell phone apps. These can give you a basic awareness of signal strength, interference, etc.

As stated, the physics is old, but if you've never investigated that arena, get a big shovel, and dig fast. You should start working to become the best communicator you can for your Team. They deserve nothing less! :lifter

glebo
06-29-2012, 15:48
Great points Ski....

Especially with the cell phone "stuff" going on now...;)

mojaveman
06-29-2012, 16:44
If you like to read and don't mind shelling out a few bucks you could subscribe to a periodical such as: CQ Amature Radio, Electric Radio, World Radio Online or any of the many others. One thing that you have today that we didn't have back in the day is the Internet.

What a concept...

tom kelly
06-29-2012, 18:20
Although not a Technical book on commo equipment; It does give an important insight into the failure of the communications equipment that this SAS Team experienced during the Gulf War. The patrol radio that they were using a PRC319 FAILED at the worst possible time causing the team huge problems that resulted in 3 of the members loosing their life; 1 from hypothermia & the other two KIA. Three other team members were captured and held prisoner; 1 escaped to Syria. It left me with the impression that the commo equipment must work as well as the weapons you are using.
Regard's, Tom Kelly