And I bet they don't even have law degrees! LOL
___
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/9876845.htm?1c

Posted on Sat, Oct. 09, 2004

Men videotaped vandalizing sign

Summit elections official catches culprits tearing down Bush-Cheney poster

By Marilyn Miller and Andale Gross

Beacon Journal staff writers

Two men who tore down a Bush-Cheney sign and urinated on it were caught on videotape by Summit County Republican officials early Friday morning.

The videotape shows the men sneaking into the yard of a West Market Street home and bending the sign to the ground. The men struggled to rip the sign out of the ground by shaking it and pulling it but couldn't get it off the posts, so they knocked it down. Sounds heard on the tape suggest the men urinated on the sign. They were white males, about 30 to 35 years old, well-dressed and well-groomed. They parked across the street in what police think was a foreign car, a Toyota or Honda.

The homeowner, Steve Kotsatos, who is also assistant to the director of the Summit County Board of Elections, called Akron police dispatchers at 10:38 a.m. Friday and told them about how his campaign sign was vandalized.

He said he caught the vandals on a night-vision camera he had installed the day before.

``A couple of days ago my neighbor's sign was set on fire with a blowtorch so I figured I might be next,'' Kotsatos said. ``This is not only criminal damaging but a safety hazard.''

The large 4-by-8-foot, red, white and blue sign was tipped over in Kotsatos' yard about 1 a.m. Friday.

John Kerry's name was scrawled across Bush's name in black marker on one side of the sign -- the work of previous vandals, Kotsatos said.

He discovered the bent sign at 6:45 a.m.

Police took a report of the incident and retrieved a copy of the videotape to review. No arrests have been made.

Akron police Lt. Sylvia Trundle said depending on the amount of damage -- officials estimate the sign's value at $200 to $400 -- the culprits could be charged with vandalism, but if the value is $500 or more they could face criminal damaging or criminal mischief charges. They are all misdemeanors and would carry a maximum sentence of six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

Local Republicans and Democrats say the stealing and damaging of campaign signs has been worse this presidential race than in past races. In some cases, the signs have been shredded and burned.

According to the Summit County Republican Party, about 3,000 of the 4,000 signs the GOP has handed out supporting Bush and Cheney have been taken from yards or damaged.

More than 1,000 signs backing Sen. Kerry, D-Mass., and running mate Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., have been taken from yards, according to the Summit County Democratic Party.

Both parties deny taking part in any sign stealing.

Even political leaders like Summit GOP Party Chairman Alex Arshinkoff and Summit Democratic Party Finance Chairman Wayne Jones have seen their signs targeted.

Officials in Medina, Wayne and Portage counties also have reported thefts of campaign signs.

Area police departments say they investigate sign theft complaints when they get them. They say it's best when a description of the vandals or their vehicle can be given.

Kotsatos said he had a Bush sign in his yard four years ago and nobody bothered it. The Republican Party is looking into a possible $1,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the men.

Roguish Lawyer
10-11-2004, 13:19
You think I can hire them at a reasonable price? LOL

Doc
10-11-2004, 15:09
RL,

I spoke to a client today that has a large Bush/Cheney sign on his truck. This past weekend he was stopped at a redlight when some young men in the car next to him started throwing pop bottles at his truck and screaming profanity at his choice for President.

The old gentleman pulled out a double barrel shotgun and pointed it at the offenders who then ran the red light in order to get away.

Moral of the story;

Be very careful who you screw with. ;)

Doc

Roguish Lawyer
10-11-2004, 15:22
RL,

I spoke to a client today that has a large Bush/Cheney sign on his truck. This past weekend he was stopped at a redlight when some young men in the car next to him started throwing pop bottles at his truck and screaming profanity at his choice for President.

The old gentleman pulled out a double barrel shotgun and pointed it at the offenders who then ran the red light in order to get away.

Moral of the story;

Be very careful who you screw with. ;)

Doc

LMAO, I'm moving!

The Reaper
10-11-2004, 15:42
See, this is what I don't get.

How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?

Seems to me that if Dems are right, it should be violent, gun-toting Republicans beating down the doors, assaulting campaign workers, and shooting up Democratic campaign offices. If Dems and the media were correct, intolerant Republicans should be the sorry, cowardly bastards tearing down campaign signs, keying cars, and flipping people with K-E bumper stickers off. From the media, you might suspect that reactionary Republicans would protest and interrupt the Dems National Convention, tear up kids campaign signs, intimidate voters and incite violence against their opponents. You would expect the fanatical, narrow-minded, fascist Republicans to only allow speakers at their convention who toe the party line and support the platform, line by line, with no dissent or opposing viewpoint permitted.

Hmm, you might think that, hadn't you? I guess things are not always as they are reported or appear to be.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
10-11-2004, 16:07

How can a pacifist, tolerant anti-violence, anti-hunting, anti Second Amendment, anti-self-defense group turn to violence against a party that is pro- all of that?

Seems to me that if Dems are right, it should be violent, gun-toting Republicans beating down the doors, assaulting campaign workers, and shooting up Democratic campaign offices. If Dems and the media were correct, intolerant Republicans should be the sorry, cowardly bastards tearing down campaign signs, keying cars, and flipping people with K-E bumper stickers off. From the media, you might suspect that reactionary Republicans would protest and interrupt the Dems National Convention, tear up kids campaign signs, intimidate voters and incite violence against their opponents. You would expect the fanatical, narrow-minded, fascist Republicans to only allow speakers at their convention who toe the party line and support the platform, line by line, with no dissent or opposing viewpoint permitted.

Hmm, you might think that, hadn't you? I guess things are not always as they are reported or appear to be.

TR

Don't stop him. He's on a roll!

pulque
10-11-2004, 18:25

Seems to me that if Dems are right, it should be violent, gun-toting Republicans beating down the doors, assaulting campaign workers, and shooting up Democratic campaign offices. If Dems and the media were correct, intolerant Republicans should be the sorry, cowardly bastards tearing down campaign signs

I dont know, seems to me there are some Dem signs being torn down as well.

From the media, you might suspect that reactionary Republicans would protest and interrupt the Dems National Convention,

LOL. better security?

I guess things are not always as they are reported or appear to be.

THAT SIR I agree with COMPLETELY

The Reaper
10-11-2004, 18:40
I dont know, seems to me there are some Dem signs being torn down as well.

There appear to be far fewer incidents of that than the reverse.

I did not watch all of the DNC, but I do not recall a single disruption by a Republican protestor. There were several every night at the RNC.

I have yet to see a single report of an mob assault on a Dem Campaign HQs (resulting in injuries to boot), and I am sure that the media would put that above the fold on page one if it happened.

Has a Dem HQs been shot up yet?

TR

Bravo1-3
10-11-2004, 18:47
I just found my sig line. Sums it up quite nicely.

pulque
10-12-2004, 02:25
Has a Dem HQs been shot up yet?

The answer is no.

Regarding the Knoxville GOP HQ shooting, I think its interesting that there was a bank robbery across the street at that same time. Don't know what to make of it.

Mob Assault.. now thats bad manners. Its quite sad that its come to this.

At the same time, there exist some folks who have gone out of their way to make the Democrats look bad, and I am not talking about Democrats this time ;) For example, Phil Parlock. I would never say that he is a typical Republican, nor would I place so much blame on Carl Cameron, whose fake Kerry quotes were published in an article on foxnews.com.

There are alot of punches flying around, Sir The Reaper. Enough to have me feeling a bit of cognitive dissonance too.

The Reaper
10-12-2004, 06:33
IIRC, there were at least two Republican campaign headquarters shot up, and the bank robbery occurred while the police were at the campaign headquarters investigating the shooting.

Large groups of protestors have "stormed" multiple Republican campaign offices nationwide. One campaign worker had his arm broken, and older workers claim that they were terrorized by the mobs and intimidated. Is this the electoral process of the Democratic Party, or the Brownshirts of the SA? Maybe we are having a replay of the good old days when the Klan would intimidate black voters, brought to you courtesy of the DNC (party of the only Klansman serving in the U.S. Senate)?

If you want to go down this road, I am sure that I can find more egregious examples of recent verbal and physical assaults and property damage than I have cited here. Feel free to post the ones you want to highlight if you want to pursue this further.

The Democratic Party leadership has taken their party on a wrong turn which if it continues, is going to usher in a new era of violence unseen in American Politics since the labor struggles between the World Wars.

If you feel that the above actions are politically defensible, I hope that you remember your position when the same thing starts happening to Democrats, their property, and their campaign workers.

BTW, there are no smileys in my post for a reason.

TR

Guy
10-12-2004, 08:57
...I am sure that I can find more egregious examples of recent verbal and physical assaults and property damage than I have cited here.

TR

This is why I don't fly the American flag or put, a BUSH/CHENEY sign in my yard!

pulque
10-13-2004, 10:39
Large groups of protestors have "stormed" multiple Republican campaign offices nationwide. One campaign worker had his arm broken, and older workers claim that they were terrorized by the mobs and intimidated. Is this the electoral process of the Democratic Party, or the Brownshirts of the SA? Maybe we are having a replay of the good old days when the Klan would intimidate black voters, brought to you courtesy of the DNC (party of the only Klansman serving in the U.S. Senate)?

The protestors are from the AFL-CIO. Should I be intimidated by the whole of the Republican party because some of its affiliates like shooting abortion doctors in their homes in addition to blowing up women's clinics? If the only way you have of talking about violence is by blaming "the leadership", then no I dont want to go down that road.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2004, 11:54
The protestors are from the AFL-CIO. Should I be intimidated by the whole of the Republican party because some of its affiliates like shooting abortion doctors in their homes in addition to blowing up women's clinics? If the only way you have of talking about violence is by blaming "the leadership", then no I dont want to go down that road.

That’s a big leap there don’t you think?

In all my reading I don’t ever think I’ve come across anything that would connect the RNC with what you posted.

Tell you what little Miss, you find a woman’s clinic or abortion doctors business here in Phoenix that feels threatened and I’ll stand watch. In fact if you find a DNC building that is threatened I’ll stand watch there also. I may dislike democrats and everything that they espouse, but, I’ll be among the first to fight to the death for their right to live free and vote as they wish.

Team Sergeant

BTW I'm also for stem cell research, but not enough to vote as a democrat.

NousDefionsDoc
10-13-2004, 12:21

I don't get this. Are you saying the AFL-CIO protests were random, uncoordinated events?

pulque
10-13-2004, 12:45
That’s a big leap there don’t you think?

In all my reading I don’t ever think I’ve come across anything that would connect the RNC with what you posted.

Tell you what little Miss, you find a woman’s clinic or abortion doctors business here in Phoenix that feels threatened and I’ll stand watch. In fact if you find a DNC building that is threatened I’ll stand watch there also. I may dislike democrats and everything that they espouse, but, I’ll be among the first to fight to the death for their right to live free and vote as they wish.

Team Sergeant

BTW I'm also for stem cell research, but not enough to vote as a democrat.

TS and NDD, I do not doubt what you have said at all. I don't want to dwell on this because it truly is an ugly analogy. I made the leap to illustrate that the AFL-CIO is not the Democratic Party any more than violent anti-choicers are the Republican Party. Most anti-choicers identify themselves with the Republicans, that is the political reality.

I am a libertarian and also pro-gun. But if our political system in the U.S. became violent, I don't imagine that I would first blame the Democratic party and then use that as an excuse to escalate.

I apologize for the pedestrian nature of my words here. I am still learning. I am looking at a pattern of political tactics. People can be as wise as can be, but they also need both leadership AND power.

Thanks.

Bravo1-3
10-13-2004, 13:19
TS and NDD, I made the leap to illustrate that the AFL-CIO is not the Democratic Party...

This is an inaccurate statement. The AFL-CIO does not decide which candidate to endorse, they decide whith democrat to endorse. Their corporate donations are exclusively Democrat, as are their sponsored political events.

This is not the case with the anti-abortion crowd. There are politicians endorsed on both sides by these groups, just as there are pro-choice Republican candidates.

Labor is so interlaced with the DNC that I see no difference between the two, even though I see the DNC as not servicing their agenda for all of their talk... but that is a whole other tangent.

Edit to add: In fairness, there have been twelve cases of vandalism of DNC offices, one involved a theft of campaign posters. None involved breaking someones arm, taking the place over, overt physical intimidation of the campaign staff, or the use of a deadly weapon.

The Reaper
10-13-2004, 16:06

Did the "protestors" storm Dem Campaign HQs?

How do you identify the murderers and bombers as as Republicans?

I see no encouragement from the Republican party or membership of any organized group supporting their membership using these tactics.

Do you think the protesters were Bush-Cheney fans?

TR