PDA

View Full Version : Egypt's highest court declares parliament invalid

Pete
06-14-2012, 11:00
Egypt's highest court declared the parliament invalid

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/14/egyptian-court-calls-for-parliament-to-be-dissolved/?hpt=hp_t1

"Egypt's highest court declared the parliament invalid Thursday, and the country's interim military rulers promptly declared full legislative authority, triggering a new level of chaos and confusion in the country's leadership................"

Things continue to go along just fine for Egypt.

Click the link at the bottom of the short story for the full version.

Dozer523
06-14-2012, 12:11
I wonder what Mubarak is doing. Probably polishing his brass . . .
I doubt this will end well or soon or to America's advantage. Get ready for the Arab Summer. :confused:

Badger52
06-15-2012, 06:32
Many voters were unhappy with both choices in the runoff.

Morsi and Shafik are the most nonrevolutionary of all candidates and represent "two typically tyrannical institutions: the first (Morsi) being a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, and the second (Shafik) a senior official of the former regime," Sonya Farid wrote for Al Arabiya earlier.Welcome to the crockpot.

Egypt's Justice Ministry issued a decree Wednesday granting military officers the authority to arrest civilians, state-run Egypt News reported.

The mandate remains in effect until a new constitution is introduced, and could mean those detained could remain in jail for that long, the agency said.

Lawyers for the Muslim Brotherhood filed a court appeal against the decree on Thursday, the same day Clinton "expressed concern" about measures she said appeared "to expand the power of the military to detain civilians and to roll back civil liberties."
Apparently "concern" remains selective, not a bedrock principle.
:rolleyes:

Streck-Fu
06-15-2012, 06:46
For those still on active duty, brush up on your African languages.

Badger52
06-17-2012, 19:32
Most of the media is running the same story or two, some still apparently have their own stringers. Some snippets:
Hisham Kassem, a publisher who had backed Moussa, said: "It's a disaster. Shafiq will try to restore the Mubarak regime. And my trust of the Brotherhood is minus zero."
"It's a farce. I crossed out the names of the two candidates on my ballot paper and wrote 'the revolution continues'," said architect Ahmed Saad el-Deen in Cairo's Sayedah Zeinab district.

"I can't vote for the one who killed my brother or the second one who danced on his dead body," he said, alluding to Shafiq's alleged role in the killing of protesters during last year's uprising and claims by revolutionaries that Morsi's Brotherhood rode the uprising to realize its own political goals.
And some reports (http://www.policymic.com/articles/9772/egypt-presidential-election-results-live-mohammed-morsi-vs-ahmed-shafiq/latest_articles) that a few polling places were releasing vote counts before other polls closed.

So is the military presence replete with low-flying helos measuring up to the NBPP with nightsticks?