PDA

View Full Version : Pdf's, automation and productivity help

Smokin Joe
06-13-2012, 16:44
Hi all! I need a little pdf / productivity help

I am regularly filling in state contracts that are all standardized in format text boxes etc. We currently use zipformsonline.com and they, well suck, its not on the user side. I think whomever programed it doesn't care about cross compatibility. Because Mac users, suffer. (I think their java scripts are messed up but who knows)

Anyways ultimately, I'm looking for a way to cut down on my data entry.

So here is what I would like to see happen: I input data i.e. name or address, etc. and have that info auto populate in the specific fields and area that I need it to on all the forms in a file or document set. In a perfect world I could keep this stuff in google docs and use google doc forms to do this but I can't seem to make that happen.

I would sincerely appreciate any help or direction.

TIA

Sigaba
06-26-2012, 02:20
So here is what I would like to see happen: I input data i.e. name or address, etc. and have that info auto populate in the specific fields and area that I need it to on all the forms in a file or document set. In a perfect world I could keep this stuff in google docs and use google doc forms to do this but I can't seem to make that happen.

TIASJ--

I would use a program like Microsoft Excel.

I'd designate one worksheet for data entry.
Subsequent worksheets would be the forms you need.
The relevant cells in these worksheets would be linked to the corresponding cells in the data entry worksheet.

(Alternatively, if you don't have to re-create too many forms for an application, you could put them all on one worksheet.)

I would use conditional formatting and formulas to check the data entry for me on another sheet that I'd set up as a check list.

For example, you could have cells fill with red if you've neglected to enter a zip code.

You can add another layer of automation by creating drop down lists and/or making use of Excel's autofil function.

If you use this option, setting up the forms may be a time consuming task. Especially if you're not OCD, like me. You will want to make sure you're comfortable with the different ways you can build formulas to link cells as well as the ways you can format the "output" cells in your forms.

You will want to make sure that build your templates in ways that protect you from 'versionitis,' and/or if you decide to 'tweak' one of the form templates. (IME, locking cells, color coding, naming and hiding tabs can save some heartache here.)

Another potential issue is that the work books could get large so that exchanging them can get tricky if your network doesn't have big 'pipes.'

When it is time to print out the forms, you can first convert them into PDFs, run a proof, and then print out your physical copies.

Smokin Joe
06-26-2012, 07:53
Thanks Sigaba,

I hadn't thought of using excel. I will do a trial run in numbers and another version in google docs spreadsheet.

My current work around is using pdfpen pro which allows me to create text boxes and I just rename the properties so the like info go to the appropriate spot. The only down side is that I can just add a new blank form to a file. But these are all just growing pains that I'm working through.

Thanks again for the help.

booker
06-28-2012, 03:57
We do something similar to what you wish to do using Access. It can create the forms, etc. There is some upfront learning curve.

Ret10Echo
06-28-2012, 05:22
In the past I have also developed forms simply using MS word. Building the drop-down lists, check boxes and text fields then locking the form to avoid anyone intentionally or unintentionally manipulating the base information.

You can also insert the Excel spreadsheet into the Word doc (docx) and print or save to PDF when completed.

DIYPatriot
06-28-2012, 06:55
Hi all! I need a little pdf / productivity help

I am regularly filling in state contracts that are all standardized in format text boxes etc. We currently use zipformsonline.com and they, well suck, its not on the user side. I think whomever programed it doesn't care about cross compatibility. Because Mac users, suffer. (I think their java scripts are messed up but who knows)

Anyways ultimately, I'm looking for a way to cut down on my data entry.

TIA

PM Inbound

Smokin Joe
06-28-2012, 10:05
Thank you everyone for the reply's just so we are all on the same sheet of music.

These forms are the end result in a chain of events. The chain looks like this.

Lead acquired (via phone, Internet, etc.)
Manually Entered into our online database (top producer 8i)
Property info pulled from online tax records
Forms generated

Attached are a few of the numerous forms that we use and have to fill out. Now, recreating these in a word doc would be a venture that I just simply don't have time to do. Because attached are just a few of the approximately 30-40 different type of forms that we us. Although creating form boxes and linking them is something I could handle, recreating the entire document including all language and format is just not a possibility due to time constraints.

The "data" is the same basically the same: buyers/ sellers/ addresses/ property description/ legal description etc.

My wish is to have a single point of entry for all info and have the forms populate with the info.... is it possible yes, because zipforms kind of does this but it really sucks at it...

Thoughts?

Dolly
06-28-2012, 12:34
I use Nitro Pro for all of my forms. I then save all my blank docs to the computer. After that I can input data anywhere on the page and save that data anytime. Then if I need to change anything I already did I can go back to the same form change it and save as a new doc. It takes some getting use to but has help tons.

Sigaba
06-28-2012, 15:08
We currently use zipformsonline.com and they, well suck, its not on the user side. I think whomever programed it doesn't care about cross compatibility. Because Mac users, suffer. (I think their java scripts are messed up but who knows)Thoughts?

SJ--

I understand that you're not happy with the on line solution, but have you contacted the support team at zipLogix and your association (or who ever pays for the on line service)?

Some of the issues you're experience may be known bugs and there may be fixes in place. For example, there's a discussion of the Mac/Java issues on their support page. Alternatively, there could be features in development or already available in other products (zipForm Pro vs. zipForm Elite) or an update (version x.y vs. version x.z).

If you initiate these discussions, do what you can to talk to someone on the development or technical support teams rather than someone in customer service. If you can't contact the development or support teams, try to find someone in marketing--ideally a coordinator. (Marketing coordinators in software shops know what buttons to push to get the attention of people up and down the food chain--you can help by using frequently words like "disappointed" and phrases like "go in a different direction.")

Simultaneously, you might reach out and try to find message boards and gurus who can point you to a fix. (I recommend looking by your industry and by software company/product and by software type.)

The goal of these suggestions--which will take a few hours of your time over a day or two--is to ascertain that you're not banging your head against the wall and re-inventing a wheel that others have already repaired.

More generally, as someone has been in your position, the time constraint consideration merits a lot of thought. IME, a software tool that can be built quickly often ends up being less useful in the long run than one that requires more time (and money) to put into place.

HTH

Burns76
06-28-2012, 19:40
Thank you everyone for the reply's just so we are all on the same sheet of music.

These forms are the end result in a chain of events. The chain looks like this.

Lead acquired (via phone, Internet, etc.)
Manually Entered into our online database (top producer 8i)
Property info pulled from online tax records
Forms generated

Attached are a few of the numerous forms that we use and have to fill out. Now, recreating these in a word doc would be a venture that I just simply don't have time to do. Because attached are just a few of the approximately 30-40 different type of forms that we us. Although creating form boxes and linking them is something I could handle, recreating the entire document including all language and format is just not a possibility due to time constraints.

The "data" is the same basically the same: buyers/ sellers/ addresses/ property description/ legal description etc.

My wish is to have a single point of entry for all info and have the forms populate with the info.... is it possible yes, because zipforms kind of does this but it really sucks at it...

Thoughts?

Smoking joe try this I think this will help. I've used http://www.evermap.com/automailmerge.asp

In the past to perform what you're describing to create filled out forms with different data in mass. It's a free download to try it