PDA

View Full Version : Songbun: NK Social Classification System

Badger52
06-13-2012, 05:39
About the author Robert Collins
Robert Collins, who has lived and worked in South Korea for over three decades, has met with and interviewed North Korean defectors and refugees since the 1970’s. Mr. Collins received his Master’s Degree from a Korean-language program in international politics from Dankook University in Seoul in 1988. He is a 37-year-veteran of the U.S. Department of Defense. His professional focus during that period was political analysis of North Korea and Northeast Asian security issues. After retiring from the Department of Defense, Mr. Collins continued conducting research on the Kim regime’s political structure using Korean language sources at major Korean libraries
and think tanks, as well as through interviews with over 75 North Korean refugees. This report is based on that research. The author dedicates it to those refugees.

EXSUM (from source David Maxwell, Assoc. Director at Georgetown Security Studies Program):

The North Korean government assigns a “songbun” status to every citizen at birth based on the perceived political loyalty of his or her family going back generations. While a small, politically loyal class in North Korea is entitled to extensive privileges, the vast majority of citizens are relegated to a permanent lower status and then discriminated against for reasons they cannot control or change.

Mr. Maxwell goes on to say of Mr. Collins' report:
I will make one very bold statement about this report. For all those who deal with north Korea planning and policies, if you have not read this report you do not have the basic foundation for understanding the Human Domain in North Korea and if you want to be effective in military, intelligence, psychological, civil affairs, as well as policy and strategic planning for North Korean issues you must have a thorough and detailed understanding of this report.

There are tremendous operational implications from this report from the PSYOP/MISO and strategic communications perspective to how to deal with the security apparatus to determining how local areas should be administered during a post-conflict or post-regime collapse situation. It provides us with information for anticipating the complex problems the alliance will face in North Korea.

LINK to 4.2MB PDF (http://hrnk.org/wp-content/uploads/HRNK_Songbun_FINALFINAL.pdf)

MR2
06-13-2012, 06:48
감사합니다

Badger52
06-19-2012, 12:41
감사합니다My pleasure, hope it's of use. Not my area but it was a most enlightening (and should be frightening) read. If people want to see what's on the last reel of the movie it's worth perusing. Then to be reminded that it's non-fiction.

I wonder if they keep their own Songbun on foreign heads-of-state that drives their reaction to external stimuli.

Richard
06-19-2012, 12:53
Ever notice how the ruling class in the DPRK all look like poster children for some non-profit for Down's Syndrome... :eek:

Just sayin'...

Richard :munchin

Badger52
06-23-2012, 18:53
Ever notice how the ruling class in the DPRK all look like poster children for some non-profit for Down's Syndrome... :eek:

Just sayin'...

Richard :munchinVery recently got to review an analysis of their Party shuffling, who's in, who's out, who rose a little (through being rehabilitated), and who declined (needing same). A virtual rogue's gallery, similar to what we used to keep around in a dark hole in the Puzzle Palace, many photos quintuplicated 'cause these clowns wear many hats, but lots of mug shots. Naturally, the top mugshot for any consortium, presidium or other august cesspool is Kim Jong-NumbahUn. And after reviewing all of those photos...

by golly, Richard, I believe you're right.

Marauder06
06-23-2012, 19:13
Interesting read, thanks for posting that. I spent two years in the Republic of Korea and would go back if the Army would let me.

Radar Rider
06-23-2012, 21:40
감사합니다

Chon Man Aeyo.

I can't type Korean, but I can read it.