PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on this? Grief Camps

greenberetTFS
06-12-2012, 21:48
What are your thoughts on this?... :(

A weekend at grief camp: 'It's never going to be the same'

<snip>Every year, the nonprofit Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors brings together hundreds of children of fallen service members to attend the Good Grief Camp. The camp coincides with TAPS' National Military Survivor Seminar for spouses and parents.

This year, more than 2,000 people, including 500 children, are in attendance. Among them are 120 teens between the ages of 13 and 19, broken into age groups such as the one Jordan is attending.

Each child and teen at the camp is paired with an adult mentor, primarily active-duty service members who can provide an ear and a shoulder.<snip>

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/10/us/grief-camp-military-teens/index.html?eref=rss_us&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_us+%28RSS%3A+U.S.%2 9

Big Teddy :munchin

afchic
06-13-2012, 06:42
It sucks that kids have to go through this. I for one think a camp like this is a good thing. Many times these kids aren't going to talk to an adult about how they feel. Hell kids do that anyway, without being in these circumstances. Being with other kids that are going through the same thing as them seems to me to be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Saturation
06-15-2012, 07:02
Amazing! They have been hosting and doing an incredible job IMHO.
I've met with wives/kids that have participated and said how incredible it was.

Radar Rider
06-16-2012, 18:50
I think it's fantastic. I was well into adulthood when my folks passed away. I can barely fathom how it would feel to lose a parent before I reached the age of majority. If this camp can help a survivor to reach a point of acceptance and understanding of their situation, it has got to be better for all concerned.