PDA

View Full Version : Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery.......

greenberetTFS
06-12-2012, 20:39
My civilian Cardiologist just broke the news to me to prepare for Open Heart Surgery,to replace my Aortic Valve........ They have a new procedure that you can volunteer for..... Instead of open heart surgery they enter thru the same way they do a heart catheter....... (1st)They go in to remove the defective valve,then they go back in to put the artificial valve in its place(not quite that simple I'm sure)......... They only perform that surgery at Ochsners Medical Facility in New Orleans....... It's new and right now they will only take volunteers,which I've already done by signing the papers..........I also have blockage,but they said this procedure must come 1st and ASAP...... After I go thru some more tests in the next 3 days,I should be ready to go for it.......I'm bringing my computer,I sure hope they have Wi-Fi available for patients...... That's it,if you don't hear from me with in a few weeks,well then it's been nice knowing all you fine boys and girls...........:boohoo :boohoo :boohoo

Big Teddy :munchin

tonyz
06-12-2012, 20:48
Positive thoughts and prayers out - give 'em hell - come back stronger than ever !

Someone has to root for the Blackhawks next season !;)

Peregrino
06-12-2012, 20:54
Good luck!

swatsurgeon
06-12-2012, 21:12
Clear mind, sound thoughts, not accepting failure as an option.....you'll do great.
Give them hell soldier....:D

ss

Sarski
06-12-2012, 22:06
Sounds as non-invasive as possible, the way you describe it. I will have to mention it to my father as I know in his surgery they could not repair one of the valves, and it leaks.

Hang tough, QP!

JJ_BPK
06-13-2012, 04:36
Prayers for you, Maggie, and the kids....

Keep thinking positive.

greenberetTFS
06-13-2012, 04:41
Sounds as non-invasive as possible, the way you describe it. I will have to mention it to my father as I know in his surgery they could not repair one of the valves, and it leaks.

Hang tough, QP!

After these next 3 days of further testing I'll give you as much feedback as possible as I learn more about the procedure...;):D

Ret10Echo
06-13-2012, 04:57
Best wishes Teddy...Stay positive...prayers out for you, family and the medical team...

Have 'em add the Wifi Hotspot option while they are in there working....then you'll always have connectivity. :D

The Reaper
06-13-2012, 05:16
Best of luck.

TR

abc_123
06-13-2012, 05:36
Good luck!

PedOncoDoc
06-13-2012, 08:15
I hope all goes well.

How are those compression stockings working out? :munchin

Sarski
06-13-2012, 09:21
After these next 3 days of further testing I'll give you as much feedback as possible as I learn more about the procedure...;):D

I would definately appriciate that.

I was just thinking last night, after my post here, how you keep volunteering. Volunteering firstly in the service of country, and now, though circumstances could be better, in the forefront of medicine.

Thank you for both.

BKKMAN
06-13-2012, 09:26
Good luck! Can't wait to read the AAR after you get back...

DIYPatriot
06-13-2012, 10:33
Good luck! Can't wait to read the AAR after you get back...

I hope that includes some really good pictures of very hot nurses. Best of luck, Big Teddy

ZonieDiver
06-13-2012, 10:36
Hang in there, Big Teddy.

Oldrotorhead
06-13-2012, 10:48
I hope you do well. The surgery you are talking about is a lot less tramatic to your old body:D I hope you do well enough to make the Blottor in the French Quarter.

Cynic
06-13-2012, 12:50
Best of luck, sir! Your attitude will go far towards a successful recovery.
Prayers for you, your health care team, and family.

Gypsy
06-13-2012, 16:39
You'll be in my prayers Big Teddy, hang tough!

Ambush Master
06-13-2012, 19:03
Hang in there Brother!! Thoughts and Prayers will be with'ya!!

Martin

Red Flag 1
06-13-2012, 19:16
You are going to do just great Big Teddy. I think you made the right decision, and you will feel worlds better after surgery. Prayers out for you, Maggie and your family.

RF 1
j

mojaveman
06-13-2012, 19:24
Good luck Teddy. We will all think positive and the collective energy will see you through this.

Saturation
06-15-2012, 06:33
Sending good thoughts your way!
Will reach out to you afterwards since I have an idea to make your life ($) easier with the VA once you feel up to some paperwork!

cetheridge
06-15-2012, 07:17
Prayers for you and your family, Big Teddy. Maintain that SF "positive" attitude!

Carl

greenberetTFS
06-15-2012, 13:33
Just got back home from the hospital.......... Swatsurgeon gave me some excellent follow up info on another medical trial using basically the same technique......... I took Oschners required tests for eligibility,but my cardiologist now has decided to do my angiogram first and do the stint work I need before he recommends me for the trial(2 weeks from now)...... I should receive my answer back from them(I hope)within a few weeks after the angiogram is finished and his paper work being submitted...... I've made up my mind that if I am rejected,I'm not totally sure I'll go with the "open heart option" right away.... I've been told by my primary that he has to put down my physical condition is at best "Fair" and advised me to consider waiting to see if it gets worse....So here is my up to date feedback,and thanks again to all those that commented and give me encouragement,you probably don't realize how much it means to me that you people do care enough to post those kind thoughts......;) :D :cool:

kgoerz
06-15-2012, 14:44
We will see you back here shortly, keep us posted.

Boomer-61
06-15-2012, 14:53
The cardio vascular guys always use to tell us Ortho guys how the heart was the most important organ in the body. We always told them that without the bones the heart would be useless. All the heart was good for was pumping blood to the bones!
Good luck and a speedy recovery.

JJ_BPK
06-15-2012, 16:10
Hope all goes well and you and the Doc's get you fixed Teddy..

Be safe..

lindy
06-15-2012, 17:26
Hope you get the hottest nurse in the ward! :lifter

Gypsy
06-15-2012, 17:43
So here is my up to date feedback,and thanks again to all those that commented and give me encouragement,you probably don't realize how much it means to me that you people do care enough to post those kind thoughts......

Sounds like you and the doc have a plan to start and I hope all goes well. I care greatly for ya, Big Teddy so you take care of yourself. :lifter

Sdiver
06-15-2012, 21:09
All my thoughts and prayers are with ya, ya old Walrus. :D :D

Ambush Master
06-15-2012, 21:39
Take Care Brother!!

The Thoughts and Prayers are with'ya, (without an expiration date)!!

Later
Martin

Ret10Echo
06-16-2012, 06:47
Hang tough Teddy... :lifter

Dozer523
06-16-2012, 07:03
Got your candle lit, Uncle. Take care Teddy. Attitude will be 50%.

XJWoody
06-16-2012, 07:44
You'll be in our thoughts Big Teddy!

SF_BHT
06-16-2012, 07:56
Good luck and do what the doctor says.

MR2
06-16-2012, 10:06
Schedule your procedure for Tue, Wed, or Thurs.

Do not, DO NOT!, roll around in bed or try to sit up in bed until they tell you it is ok. And don't even think about getting out of bed no matter how bad you have to pee.

Prayers for you (and the staff).

greenberetTFS
07-06-2012, 18:17
Did not qualify for trial program because "fair" condition isn't "poor" condition and since they only want those who can't qualify for open heart surgery and they're running only a 70% chance of living after a year,they felt it was in my best interests to go with open heart.........My response to my cardio is f**k it,I'm not going to go under the knife because after that operation I'll need not only medical help but it's a tremendous burden to put on Maggie who cannot be a caregiver since she's a terminal patient herself and unable to clean,cook,etc from a power wheel chair....
So I'll just hang in there and when it's time it's time....... Don't get me wrong guys I'm far from being a tough guy,but I have to do what I have to do and that's it.....:(

MR2
07-06-2012, 18:20
:(

JJ_BPK
07-07-2012, 04:04
Teddy

I'm thinking you are over thinking what your thinking about this operation.

Not knowing your condition, other than you statement that your "fair" and I'm not a med student,, but most of the people I know, that have had open heart are up running around in a couple weeks or less...

My father lasted over 20 yrs and my father in-law 15 yrs.

Have another talk to your Doc's..

You need to get a bunch of CAN-DO back in your altitude.. :D :lifter :D

Stargazer
07-07-2012, 08:16
greenberetTFS, my father had his aorta valve replaced in his 70s and is stilling going at 81. He recovered from his surgery quicker than he did from his aortic abdominal aneurysm repair. It is a serious surgery and may not be the correct path for you, but I wanted you to know I was amazed how quickly he recovered.

SLVGW360
07-07-2012, 08:27
I agree with JJ BPK. My dad had open heart 10-11 years ago now. He was always in incredibly good shape and worked manual labor jobs most of his life due to a language barrier. The set back knocked him for a loop psychologically and he was timid in getting back to his usual activities even though he was physically able. Now he is again running around in the mountains hunting elk. Killed his biggest bull ever last year at 73 years old. He drew a buck tag this year and is all excited.

MR2
07-07-2012, 08:53
Teddy, based on my experience working telemetry floors and ICU/CCU I have some thoughts for you.

Some cardiologists are better than others. Some surgeons are better than others. And so on. Most people do more research and due diligence when picking out their carpet than they do their general physician, cardiologist, or surgeon...

Go to the hospital. Bring someone with you (to help remember). Talk to the nursing staff that work in the recovery room, in the CCU, the telemetry floors. Talk to the ancillary staff (X-Ray, IV, EKG, Ultrasound, etc.) working there too. Find out which cardiac surgeons patients do better than most. Ask them if they were you, who would they choose.

Talk to your surgeon and ask him/her about their success rate. Then ask them to define success and see if it matches your own definition. Ask them what their one year and five year success rates are - what that really means. Note that I used the term success and not survival. They have different meanings. Ask them to define "quality of life" and see if it matches your own.

Remember that some doctors will take more serious cases than other doctors and their success rates will vary accordingly.

In my experience it is rare for cardiac patients to think about the after (quality of life) until it is after. I commend you for that, but I would also advise that you not put the cart before the horse.

If you are a good candidate for success, I would schedule the surgery for a Thursday. That gives you 2-3 days in CCU and then your on the step-down or telemetry floor for a normal M-F (full staff) schedule. If your not a good candidate for success, schedule for Tuesday and tell the surgeon your not going to the floor until Monday. Avoid all surgery on Mondays and Fridays.

Good luck to you and yours and may God bless whatever decision you make.

greenberetTFS
07-07-2012, 09:03
Teddy

I'm thinking you are over thinking what you're thinking about this operation.

Not knowing your condition, other than you statement that your "fair" and I'm not a med student,, but most of the people I know, that have had open heart are up running around in a couple weeks or less...

My father lasted over 20 yrs and my father in-law 15 yrs.

Have another talk to your Doc's..

You need to get a bunch of CAN-DO back in your altitude.. :lifter :D

JJ

Thanks for the prep talk,but the people I know who have had it done were in the hospital at least 2 weeks,at home and required to be house ridden for several months.........Maggie couldn't have that much time left for runnung the house,she just couldn't do it.......:(

greenberetTFS
07-07-2012, 09:06
I agree with JJ BPK. My dad had open heart 10-11 years ago now. He was always in incredibly good shape and worked manual labor jobs most of his life due to a language barrier. The set back knocked him for a loop psychologically and he was timid in getting back to his usual activities even though he was physically able. Now he is again running around in the mountains hunting elk. Killed his biggest bull ever last year at 73 years old. He drew a buck tag this year and is all excited.

There's your answer.......:(

greenberetTFS
07-07-2012, 09:12
Teddy, based on my experience working telemetry floors and ICU/CCU I have some thoughts for you.

Some cardiologists are better than others. Some surgeons are better than others. And so on. Most people do more research and due diligence when picking out their carpet than they do their general physician, cardiologist, or surgeon...

Go to the hospital. Bring someone with you (to help remember). Talk to the nursing staff that work in the recovery room, in the CCU, the telemetry floors. Talk to the ancillary staff (X-Ray, IV, EKG, Ultrasound, etc.) working there too. Find out which cardiac surgeons patients do better than most. Ask them if they were you, who would they choose.

Talk to your surgeon and ask him/her about their success rate. Then ask them to define success and see if it matches your own definition. Ask them what their one year and five year success rates are - what that really means. Note that I used the term success and not survival. They have different meanings. Ask them to define "quality of life" and see if it matches your own.

Remember that some doctors will take more serious cases than other doctors and their success rates will vary accordingly.

In my experience it is rare for cardiac patients to think about the after (quality of life) until it is after. I commend you for that, but I would also advise that you not put the cart before the horse.

If you are a good candidate for success, I would schedule the surgery for a Thursday. That gives you 2-3 days in CCU and then your on the step-down or telemetry floor for a normal M-F (full staff) schedule. If your not a good candidate for success, schedule for Tuesday and tell the surgeon your not going to the floor until Monday. Avoid all surgery on Mondays and Fridays.

Good luck to you and yours and may God bless whatever decision you make.

MR2

All excellent points and if I do change my mind I'll be sure to consider your advice,especially not scheduling my surgery on a monday or friday.......:(

Sarski
07-07-2012, 11:50
What about any family that could come and help out for a short while? Friends or relatives that could either stay over or drop in on occasion to help out, or clean acouple times, prepare or help with meals? Lasagna and tuna caserole can go a long way in situations like this.

If you plan it out and let someone close to you know you might need them regularly, then every other day and less frequently as you get back on your feet. If not, sometimes churches have volunteers that are more than willing to do this kind of work. Just a bit of networking and advance planning to get that ball rolling.

Don't look at it as accepting charity, the ladies that do this kind of volunteer work are about as selfless as you QPs! Anyways, just an idea.

greenberetTFS
07-07-2012, 12:01
What about any family that could come and help out for a short while? Friends or relatives that could either stay over or drop in on occasion to help out, or clean acouple times, prepare or help with meals? Lasagna and tuna caserole can go a long way in situations like this.

If you plan it out and let someone close to you know you might need them regularly, then every other day and less frequently as you get back on your feet. If not, sometimes churches have volunteers that are more than willing to do this kind of work. Just a bit of networking and advance planning to get that ball rolling.

Don't look at it as accepting charity, the ladies that do this kind of volunteer work are about as selfless as you QPs! Anyways, just an idea.

Family members are pretty well tied up in their own needs,but you've got a point regarding church members.............We don't go to church anymore because it's kinda like a hassle to go through considering we are really homebound........We only go out when absolutely necessary(Doctors visits,Hospital and food shopping(always need help carrying things in and stocking them away).........:(

swatsurgeon
07-07-2012, 12:48
FYI,
The opinion of the surgeon outweighs the opinion of the cardiologist relative to overall risk. The surgeons look at the medical work up and then figure in the surgical risk......a cardiologist works from only one data set, the surgeon has two.
Please ask the surgeon for his/her opinion about overall risk and "expected" recovery. No, we don't have a crystal ball but we use the benefit of those two data sets, experience, pattern recognition (profiling!!) and previous outcomes that are weighted against overall medical status and condition.

ss

greenberetTFS
07-07-2012, 12:53
FYI,
The opinion of the surgeon outweighs the opinion of the cardiologist relative to overall risk. The surgeons look at the medical work up and then figure in the surgical risk......a cardiologist works from only one data set, the surgeon has two.
Please ask the surgeon for his/her opinion about overall risk and "expected" recovery. No, we don't have a crystal ball but we use the benefit of those two data sets, experience, pattern recognition (profiling!!) and previous outcomes that are weighted against overall medical status and condition.

ss

Thanks Syd,your opinion is really valued by me,I'll follow up on that advice.....;)

Sarski
07-07-2012, 14:10
I' ll add a little more on the churches. Some of them, it makes no difference if you are a member or attend. They will help out anyways. It might not be the same volunteer from day to day, but it might be worth a shot and a few phone calls or web browsing to find the right folks.

Some of them might even have gone through this before theirselves, or already have cared for persons in the same circumstances.

I hope that it can work out and take much of the burden off of your recovery, and worrying about Mrs. greenberetTFS during that time.