PDA

View Full Version : A One Man Army..........

greenberetTFS
06-11-2012, 11:27
Priceless..........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Destrier
06-11-2012, 11:34
No mention of his kukri?

Dusty
06-11-2012, 11:35
Gurkhas frequently exhibit extreme badassery.:cool:

PSM
06-11-2012, 11:49
Badass of the Week: (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/pun.html) Acting Sergeant Dipprasad Pun of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

Pat

greenberetTFS
06-11-2012, 12:20
It's Better to Die Than be a Coward........:lifter Don't know if the Nepalese have the equivalent to the MOH,but he certainly would deserve one.........;)

Team Sergeant
06-11-2012, 12:34
We need some Gurkhas in Special Forces.

Sarski
06-11-2012, 12:47
Ever pushing the envelope in badassery.

DIYPatriot
06-11-2012, 12:50
No mention of his kukri?

I was curious about that, too! However, around the same time, this event took place:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ghlight=Gurkha

Gotta admire this badass, too! :lifter:lifter:lifter

Article Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishnu_Shrestha)

PSM
06-11-2012, 13:25
Yes, we know: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32213&highlight=Gurkha ;)

Pat

greenberetTFS
06-11-2012, 13:35
I was curious about that, too! However, around the same time, this event took place:

Gotta admire this badass, too! :lifter:

Article Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishnu_Shrestha)

There are badasses and there are badasses,this guy however is a real deal badass.... Top has a good point,why don't we try recruiting in Nepal,when I was in the 77th there may have been more foreigners than Americans at that time(Lodge Act).........;)

DIYPatriot
06-11-2012, 13:48
There are badasses and there are badasses,this guy however is a real deal badass.... Top has a good point,why don't we try recruiting in Nepal,when I was in the 77th there may have been more foreigners than Americans at that time(Lodge Act).........;)

Thanks for educating me. I had never heard of the Lodge Act and just went a little crazy with my google machine. ;)

cedsall
06-11-2012, 17:57
Damn....

Snaquebite
06-11-2012, 18:16
I was lucky enough to have a 35 man Gurkha guard force during one of my gigs in Iraq. Not only are they fierce fighters they are fiercely loyal and honorable.

I agree with the Victoria Cross, however do not believe it will ever happen.

hooah12
06-11-2012, 20:19
I can't quite think of the word to describe this guy. I feel as if badass just doesn't cut it.

DIYPatriot
06-11-2012, 20:55
I was lucky enough to have a 35 man Gurkha guard force during one of my gigs in Iraq. Not only are they fierce fighters they are fiercely loyal and honorable.

I agree with the Victoria Cross, however do not believe it will ever happen.

That's pretty damn cool, sir (working with the Gurkha's). I've only heard stories and tales of them. I was curious why he didn't get the Victoria Cross or why you don't believe it will ever happen. Not questioning you at all. Just curious as to the "why".

frostfire
06-13-2012, 00:26
We need some Gurkhas in Special Forces.

Your wish had been granted over a year ago, Team Sergeant.

I have personally met one currently in the pipeline. Okay, not gurkha, but 100% Nepalese nonetheless (with the gurkha genes I suspect). He found selection tough, but not as challenging as most told him. Thank the MAVNI program for that, which is similar to Lodge Act albeit faster. I was privileged to share some small arms (AK, shotgun, pistol) fundamentals with him. He was a quick learner. No wonder he's in the 18D course. Who knows...perhaps he'll show such display of badassery one day :D

greenberetTFS
06-13-2012, 04:36
The guy deserved the Victoria Cross IMHO.

I don't know if the "Victoria Cross" would be an allowable English medal for a Nepalese soldier to be awarded.........:(

The Reaper
06-13-2012, 05:14
I don't know if the "Victoria Cross" would be an allowable English medal for a Nepalese soldier to be awarded.........:(

Did you see the flag on his sleeve? He serves in the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

Gurkha regiments have been part of the British Army for many years, and IIRC, there are several previous Gurkha VC awardees.

TR

aegisnavy
06-13-2012, 06:03
My father-in-law served in the British army in Malaya during the 1950s. He served alongside Gurkhas and often said they were the most professional and awe-inspiring warriors he encountered, and from his POV the most effective forces in the conflict there.

He thought of them as pure warriors and was fascinated each time he saw a Gurkha soldier on patrol with his young son following behind carrying all of his father's extra gear.

Richard
06-13-2012, 06:25
I don't know if the "Victoria Cross" would be an allowable English medal for a Nepalese soldier to be awarded.

Teddy,

The following Nepalese Gurkha soldiers have been awarded the Victoria Cross:

Guy Boisragon (1891, India)
Kulbir Thapa (1915, Framce)
Karanbahadur Rana (1918, Egypt)
Lalbahadur Thapa (1943, Tunisia)
Gaje Ghale (1943, Burma)
Tulbahadur Pun (1944, Burma)
Netrabahadur Thapa (1944, Burma)
Sher Bahadur Thapa (1944, Italy)
Agansing Rai (1944, Burma)
Thaman Gurung (1944, Italy)
Ganju Lama (1944, Burma)
Lachhiman Gurung (1945, Burma)
Bhanbhagta Gurung (1945, Burma)
Rambahadur Limbu (1965, Borneo)

My nephew is a PJ and just spent a month with a Gurkha unit in Nepal - he says they were great soldiers to work with. My nephew's wearing the blue parka in the group pic and instructing small boat training in prep for some white water work in the second pic.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin