PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone’s Buffalo Soldier Days celebration starts Saturday

Pete
06-07-2012, 16:54
Tombstone’s Buffalo Soldier Days celebration starts Saturday

http://www.svherald.com/content/news/2012/06/07/268363

Another small bit of American History not taught much in the classroom. Both Cav and Infantry Colored Regiments were floating around the west during the Indian wars doing a good bit of the fighting and earning a few MoHs the hard way.

"TOMBSTONE — In a tribute to the historic Buffalo Soldiers, Tombstone is hosting its fourth annual Buffalo Soldiers days on Saturday and Sunday. The event will feature street entertainment both days, with a parade on Saturday.

“This is our fourth annual Salute to the Buffalo Soldiers,” said Bill Pakinkis, the event coordinator. “The Buffalo Soldiers’ role in taming the Wild West during the territorial period is well documented in this area,” he added. ..............."

PSM
06-07-2012, 17:22
Better hope that there are no fires:

Tombstone, Arizona (CNN) -- There's a popular saying in the American West: Whiskey's for drinking, but water's for fighting over. This dusty little city, made famous by the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, has a dilly of a water fight on its hands.

Tombstone, population 1,400, is suing the federal government -- and it is likely to be a landmark legal battle.

Over the years, Tombstone has survived fires and floods and all manner of shiftless varmints. But now "the town too tough to die" worries it's going to run dry.

The city sits in the desert but gets most of its water from springs in the Huachuca Mountains. Some of the springs are in a wilderness area protected by the U.S. Forest Service. From the Huachucas, the water runs 26 miles east to Tombstone through one of the longest gravity-fed water systems in the country.

Tombstone's water line was damaged in last year's massive Monument fire. The city says the feds are blocking emergency repairs that are critical to its survival.

In court papers, lawyers for the federal government say there's no emergency. Instead, they contend, Tombstone is using the fire's aftermath as an excuse to "upgrade and improve" its water system.

Kathleen Nelson, the acting ranger in charge of the Coronado National Forest, says the Forest Service has been letting Tombstone do some work, as long as it complies with the 1964 Wilderness Act.

In the wilderness, Tombstone can dig with shovels, not bulldozers. The new pipe can come up the mountain on horses, not in trucks.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/us/tombstone-water-fight/

Pat

PRB
06-07-2012, 17:24
Black Jack Pershing didn't get his name playing cards

Badger52
06-07-2012, 17:34
I love visiting that area. (The base is in high-demand as a TDY site from here, like in February.) I'm glad their salute to the Buffalo Soldiers continues. Thanks Pete for posting that.

Perhaps the good citizens need to approach the water repair issue from a different angle (of deflection).
:cool:

JJ_BPK
06-07-2012, 18:27
I love visiting that area.
:cool:

I was at a business meeting in Tuscon in 82' and we took the weekend off to visit Tombstone. It's in the middle of NO_WHERE.

I loved it, but doubt I would Evey want to move there as they had major problems with water,, seems it hasn't changed...

I may drink Whisky daily,, but I need water more often... :D

That's probably why TS is soooo skinny....

It Shirley can't be his cooking??? :D

:munchin

PSM
06-07-2012, 18:32
I was at a business meeting in Tuscon in 82' and we took the weekend off to visit Tombstone. It's in the middle of NO_WHERE.

:munchin

HEY! :eek::D

Pat