PDA

View Full Version : The end of UW/ FID as we know it....

Scimitar
06-05-2012, 09:20
Look slike Stratfor doesn't think there'll be much of a need for SF specific capabilities in the near future. I guess JFK didn't know what he was talking about. :rolleyes:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/end-counterinsurgency-and-scalable-force

S

Streck-Fu
06-05-2012, 10:03
I did not read this as a call to end SF or SOF.

Special Operations Forces are highly useful for meeting these objectives, but we should also include other types of forces

Scimitar
06-05-2012, 11:28
True, my sarcasim went a little far.

He does imply strongly that due to the "failure" and cost in Iraq and A-stan, that COIN should be avoided at all costs, and therefore COIN capabilities become a minority skill set requirement.

Maybe I'm just reading into it

FYI that quoted statement is refering to SOF being useful for surgical strikes, no COIN.

S

Badger52
06-05-2012, 11:38
I did not read this as a call to end SF or SOF.I didn't either, although I think he's pretty cavalier when he dives into the historical and seems to intermix what I think of as UW & counter-insurgency. If he wants to do that I would object to him appending the word "military" when saying the US isn't very good at it.

Because the US politically has such a good track record of standing by those who its military embraced at the behest of their employers...
:rolleyes:

Then again, perhaps he just had dinner the other night with a Marine.

Dusty
06-05-2012, 11:48
This, also, is cyclical. From bastards to heroes to red-headed stepchildren to heroes again.

SOS

Landlubber
06-05-2012, 12:26
That article was garbage, how do you go from COIN in AFG to fighting pirates with marines and assert that there is no longer a need for COIN experts. And he's selling what, the marine corps or MARSOC? Right... better start turning our gear over to them!

LL

Scimitar
06-05-2012, 15:49
I enjoy Stratfors stuff, but this particular article seems to be pushing the JSOC Navy lead agenda of DA over the more ambigious types of warfare, at the cost of any real logic that I can see.

Feels like the article has been written in haste, simply because Startfor must have an opinon on everything kinda syndrome.

S

Richard
06-05-2012, 17:01
The end of FID as we know it....

LOL - effin' FID was the end of IDAD as I knew it! The effin' "circle of life" in the military's on-going "Lion King" revival. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

BOfH
06-05-2012, 22:11
MOO: COIN isn't dead, it's just kinda of hard to apply it when your FID *partners* are a (very) small minority that truly want the system of government and freedom that you are offering, and the rest just see you for the dollar signs that you really are, all while tacitly approving of and maybe even supporting the insurgency(more like a resurgence).

My .0002

mark46th
06-05-2012, 22:33
I guess Friedman didn't read the story of how Karzai came to power and who helped him...

Richard
06-06-2012, 03:42
I guess Friedman didn't read the story of how Karzai came to power and who helped him...

So the Taliban suck at COIN. ;)

Richard :munchin

JJ_BPK
06-06-2012, 04:36
Until the economy turns around, you are going to see every combination of:

"My theory of WAR (eg: cutting the budget) is better than his"

I just hope you AD guys don't get the shaft..

:mad:

Badger52
06-06-2012, 05:48
I guess Friedman didn't read the story of how Karzai came to power and who helped him...Amen. Precise example I was thinking of when reading that. I used too many words when Landlubber said it better. And yes, the Taliban suck x2; they sucked at being a successful insurgency and they sucked when the roles were reversed on them by some folks who know what they're doing.

JJ_BPK's right, the think-tank denizens need alot of grant money.

Scimitar
06-08-2012, 09:47
Video debate of freidmans point of view

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com//forums/showthread.php?p=452563#post452563

S

Mills
06-12-2012, 12:05
That article was garbage, how do you go from COIN in AFG to fighting pirates with marines and assert that there is no longer a need for COIN experts. And he's selling what, the marine corps or MARSOC? Right... better start turning our gear over to them!

LL

Along with the regular army, as I have been told by a little bird or two that they can accomplish the same tasks, in the same manner..........

:rolleyes: