PDA

View Full Version : 0322 emblem to Mt. Everest

Froggy
06-03-2012, 21:28
On May 25th the father of one of our team members summited Mt. Everest carrying a flag with the ODA 0322 emblem on it. Originally, this was supposed to be a father and son venture, but deployments came around and we were gone when the trip started. Either way, we're damn proud of him, and you can bet this will be framed (with the flag) and hung in the team room.

Good day to be a 10th GRP mountain guy....

MR2
06-03-2012, 21:36
WhooHoo!

adal
06-03-2012, 22:17
Outstanding!! :lifter

MtnGoat
06-03-2012, 22:51
F@#&in Outstanding!!!!!

glebo
06-04-2012, 06:51
Holy shiiit...that is awsome to say the least..:lifter

Great job

Richard
06-04-2012, 07:10
Great pic and effort! :lifter

Just wondering - has any mountain team from Group ever scaled Everest?

Our primary mountain team in Tolz (ODA-8) scaled Mont Blanc in '78 and our scout swim team (ODA-9) swam across the English Channel in '77, but I've never heard of a team scaling Everest. There's a great PR opportunity in there somewhere.

Richard :munchin

scooter
06-04-2012, 07:36
5th wanted to send one back in 07-08 time frame, but someone, somewhere, decided against it.

SF_BHT
06-04-2012, 21:11
Great photo and will look great on the Team room wall with the flag....

JSMosby
06-07-2012, 22:06
Bad Ass....period

JJ_BPK
06-08-2012, 04:44
Outstanding,, :lifter

Congratulations.. :lifter

hdgb
06-08-2012, 12:51
Thats very cool !

Froggy
06-12-2012, 20:54
Richard,
I talked with the mountain house here and no one has heard of a team doing Everest. I'd happily submit the concept if I thought we had a snowball's chance in hell of getting it approved. I'm sure it would take COMUSASOC approval or something like that. Plus, I think I'd have a hard time linking our current METL to high altitude alpine ascents in SOCPAC's AO. So, for now, we'll drink beer and toast the man who got it done and be satisfied with suffering up the incline on a weekly basis.

cant hardly
06-14-2012, 08:00
Excellent, and that's a great emblem.

SkiBumCFO
06-18-2012, 21:42
That is AWESOME!!! Gloveless at the top of Everest that is crazy :) I will personally recommend it as a recruiting idea though you are correct it will most likely never happen.

Froggy
06-19-2012, 22:19
Speaking about that whole ODA-Going-To-Everest thing.....

I had the opportunity to spend some time with our next USASOC Commander during the 60th Anniversary celebration and we got to talking about our ODA, the battalion, etc. I told him about the ODA's recent Everest connection and he mentioned that he had always thought it would be a good idea to sponsor an expedition from USASFC / USASOC. Of course, I told him our detachment was willing to go if he was looking for volunteers :o

On a more serious note, it would be an excellent demonstration of the versatility, tenacity and aptitude of the men in our Regiment; and a good recruiting tool to boot.

SkiBumCFO
06-20-2012, 22:34
funnily enough i have the Army and the Army NG arguing over an upcoming recruiting campaign so since they are short on ideas I still think this would be a great one!

alfromcolorado
06-29-2012, 01:02
Man, to have even been able to think about that back in my Mtn Team days... McMillan screwed the Bergfuhrer course, training was difficult to justify, etc.

We got more done on weekends than during the week.

Oh well, what the hell.

MTN Medic
08-27-2012, 21:32
Great pic and effort! :lifter

Just wondering - has any mountain team from Group ever scaled Everest?

Our primary mountain team in Tolz (ODA-8) scaled Mont Blanc in '78 and our scout swim team (ODA-9) swam across the English Channel in '77, but I've never heard of a team scaling Everest. There's a great PR opportunity in there somewhere.

Richard :munchin

Some of us have been trying ;)

Dozer523
08-28-2012, 10:52
I think I'd have a hard time linking our current METL to high altitude alpine ascents in SOCPAC's AO. You could point out tthe TALLEST mountain in the world is in the PACOM AO:D

Froggy
09-25-2012, 21:47
Dozer,
You are absolutely correct. However, militarily speaking I think we can accomplish all that we need to on Denali, for a much lower cost. MilAir flight to Alaska; field rate per diem; true glacial environment; still knock out a 7 summit.

Everest is still a great recruiting tool. No matter what, you have to recognize the star power of Everest. Sure there are technically more difficult mountains, and statistically more dangerous, but the "star power" that an ODA on Everest would bring to the recruiting effort is undeniable.

Then we'll make a movie starring ourselves and I'll write a book about it. Oh wait a minute....

Froggy