PDA

View Full Version : ATF to ban “military” style shotguns, but taking public comments

Paslode
05-29-2012, 13:48
The BATFE gets away with this and they will be off to the races banning whatever they want :mad:

ATF to ban “military” style shotguns, but taking public comments
May 28, 2012 2:29 pm

In one of the most blatant moves by the BATFE, they are now deciding on what shotguns they want to outlaw that are currently available to citizens. In a recent report from the Greeley Gazette, they announce their plans to deprive the American people of our right to bear shotguns with certain features. As if the words, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” have no meaning, the BATFE is now taking the “law” into their own hands, without consent of “We the People”. Jack Minor of the Greeley Gazette reports:

The ATF completed a study regarding the importability of certain shotguns. The basis for a possible ban is based on a loosely defined “Sporting Purpose” test. Using the vague definition almost all pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns could be banned as they are all capable of accepting a magazine, box or tube capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Other characteristics determined to be “military” by the ATF can also be used as a basis for a ban.”

These types of shotguns are in millions of homes across America. Not only will this severely erode our natural-born liberties to bear arms; now, criminals will know your out after five blasts from the bedroom hallway, creating a victim zone in your own home.

Then again, the BATFE seems to be a merciful tyrant, and “allowing public comments prior to issuing a decision”, as if our opinion actually means something to them. The part I’m confused about is, who gave them the power to pick and choose which guns are “lawful”? What part about “shall not be infringed” do they not understand?

Thank goodness, someone has decided to come forward, as the article says:

Dudley Brown, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, said if the ATF succeeds with the banning of tactical shotguns it “will be the most dangerous interpretation of the 1968 Gun Control Act ever envisioned and will outlaw thousands of perfectly legitimate home defense shotguns.”

So, if you would like to let the folks at the BATFE know what you think, then please send them an email here: shotgunstudy@atf.gov

35NCO
05-29-2012, 14:30
The BATFE gets away with this and they will be off to the races banning whatever they want :mad:

This is nothing new. They have been planning this one for awhile. When they said they were starting a study on the imports of "sporting shotguns" at the BATFE Q and A meeting at SAR I had a feeling they were up to no good. This has been going on for over a year.

They have a history of not liking shotguns that have any means of high capacity. Take for example how the "Street Sweeper" , "AA-12" and "USAS-12" became Destructive devices overnight. At the time, those were the only real high capacity shotguns that were in the public spotlight. Now that we have things like the Saiga Shotguns with high capacity magazines all over the place, they are having a fit. I have a feeling those will become DD's as well, and as such, require a tax stamp. Which I can see how they are justifying it, what really is the difference between a semi-auto AA-12 and a Saiga shotgun? Not a whole lot. (It still irritates the hell out of me though.)

Just a warning, they have been "researching" .50 cal rifles as well. I have a very strong feeling that the Barrett and many others soon will also be DD's.

Its funny, no where in the second amendment does it say "sporting purpose" or "Assault rifle". Yet due to the National Firearms Act, The GCA, and the FOPA, the suppression of our firearms rights has become very elaborate to legal interpretation, to a strict definition to what our weapons are "termed" in our current possession.

I am fairly certain by the support of the things our founding fathers said, the second amendment is about "assault rifles" and any weapon there of to be useful as a military weapon to overthrow any government should it become tyrannous. Those were the things that were important then. Now we are trying to get as far away from that interpretation as possible. Strange how history changes. Of course by that, a musket rifle of those days WAS the modern day "assault rifle". Hopefully they dont figure that one out. ;)

Rob_Frey
05-29-2012, 15:18
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

- Thomas Jefferson

Barbarian
05-30-2012, 06:50
In a recent report from the Greeley Gazette, they announce their plans to deprive the American people of our right to bear shotguns with certain features.

This recent report the article speaks of, is over a year old. The ATF stopped "taking comments" a year ago, as well.

Paslode
05-30-2012, 13:01
This recent report the article speaks of, is over a year old. The ATF stopped "taking comments" a year ago, as well.

Good call! I read it....but not closely enough.

Barbarian
06-01-2012, 11:45
Good call! I read it....but not closely enough.

I didn't catch it the first time, either.