PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day 2012

echoes
05-27-2012, 08:33
Just wanted to say to ALL who have served, and ALL who are serving, you are forever in our thoughts and prayers. You will never be forgotten!

Thank you.

Holly

P.S. Here is a link to a Memorial Day 2005 thread...some very powerful QP posts are contained in it.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7009

Dusty
05-27-2012, 09:08
Thank you.

greenberetTFS
05-27-2012, 10:00
Thank them.........:(

Big Teddy :munchin

echoes
05-27-2012, 11:39

Yes indeed, Big Teddy!

Holly

Dusty
05-27-2012, 11:57

Of course.

Gypsy
05-27-2012, 17:19

To those who gave full measure, thank you. We shall never forget you. Our debt is immense.

cbtengr
05-27-2012, 17:36
Glad to see this thread started, THANKS TO All who have served. I am sitting here watching PBS, I do not normally make it a habit to watch public television but a few times a year they have programs that really catch my attention. Around Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day PBS schedule shows that highlight veterans and the sacrifices made by them in all our wars, shows about Medal of Honor recipients and shows about the Honor Flights made by our WWII vets. I enjoy these shows and as a veteran and an American I am deeply touched by them. But it angers me that it is only around the holidays that these shows are featured. Patriotism for so many in this country is so fleeting, they all rally around the flag in times of peril and they all enjoy the three day holiday that Memorial Day and the Fourth of July have become but for many all it is, is a long weekend no reflection on the price that was paid for in blood to give them the incredible freedoms that they enjoy today. I thank God every day for my good fortune in having been born an American and I thank God for all of you!

alelks
05-27-2012, 17:36
We (any soldier of any service) are always putting down other services and you'd think we hate all other services and it's members but in reality we are brothers in arms and truly respect and appreciate each other.

The end of this video speaks for itself:

Click for Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ9b4My6NU)

Sohei
05-27-2012, 17:48
My most sincere and humble thanks to those generations -- past and present -- who have given their all. Words cannot adequately express my gratefulness to you. You will never be forgotten.

abc_123
05-27-2012, 19:33
Memorial Day -- as summer begins remember this beach

By Martin Hinton

Published May 27, 2012

FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/27/memorial-day-as-summer-begins-remember-this-beach/

Red Flag 1
05-27-2012, 19:53

Well said, Big Teddy.

RF 1

PSM
05-27-2012, 20:42

By Martin Hinton

Published May 27, 2012

FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/27/memorial-day-as-summer-begins-remember-this-beach/

Thanks, N. I hate it when someone says, "Happy Memorial Day." For that matter, I don't like, "Thank you for your service" either. It's like saying, "Gesundheit". They don't necessarily care or mean it, it just makes them feel better for saying something.

A solemn salute to those who sacrificed their lives, and futures, for us!

Pat

orion5
05-27-2012, 20:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5LQiFMqGY

"I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property,
I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company,
I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done,
I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones,
I made it to Arlington."

Rest In Peace, you're all 'chosen ones' to me, wherever in this world you lie......

cbtengr
05-28-2012, 07:05
Johnson County Courthouse, Iowa City, Iowa 28 May 12

MtnGoat
05-28-2012, 07:17
To those who gave full measure, thank you. We shall never forget you.

Blue skies and soft landings brother, you'll be missed always.

Ret10Echo
05-28-2012, 12:51
A salute to those who have gone ahead. Not forgotten. I only pray that the country which you sacrificed for remains worthy of that sacrifice.

Requiescat in pace

Found this over on Politico "Presidents in Uniform (http://www.politico.com/gallery/2012/05/memorial-day-presidents-in-uniform/000171-001962.html)"

Utah Bob
05-28-2012, 13:35
To Jim Gribbin, Hal, George Parounagian, Johnny Rohr, Frank McNutt, Ed Golder and you others who fell while I came home unmarked. I lift a glass in my sadness and in your honor.
Scarcely a day goes by when I don't think of you and see your still-young faces. I'll see you all on Fiddler's Green.

Oldrotorhead
05-28-2012, 13:40
We (any soldier of any service) are always putting down other services and you'd think we hate all other services and it's members but in reality we are brothers in arms and truly respect and appreciate each other.

The end of this video speaks for itself:

Click for Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZ9b4My6NU)

Even the Squid and Jarheads. :p Almost all of the insults are made in jest.

abc_123
05-28-2012, 13:45
For that matter, I don't like, "Thank you for your service" either. It's like saying, "Gesundheit". They don't necessarily care or mean it, it just makes them feel better for saying something.

A solemn salute to those who sacrificed their lives, and futures, for us!

Pat

Yes but at least they remembered enough to say something...

greenberetTFS
05-28-2012, 14:28
A salute to those who have gone ahead. Not forgotten. I only pray that the country which you sacrificed for remains worthy of that sacrifice.

Requiescat in pace

Found this over on Politico "Presidents in Uniform (http://www.politico.com/gallery/2012/05/memorial-day-presidents-in-uniform/000171-001962.html)"

Just wanted to add this:

echoes
05-28-2012, 18:11
Just wanted to add this:

Beautiful, Big Teddy.

Thank you for posting that.

In Rememberance...and hope it is okay to say, "Thank You..."

Holly

cbtengr
05-28-2012, 18:15
I found this on someones blog site, it sure sounds like something the General would have said.

GEN George Patton said it best: "It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

When I see a uniformed member of the armed services I always make it a point to thank them for their service, not because it makes me feel better. I say it because I mean it. I have a 101st ABN DIV Patch decal on the windshield of my bike, one day as I was coming out of the local Walmart I found a note tucked into the seat, someone had taken the time to thank me for my service. I read the note, choked up and just stood there, someone had made my day.

mojaveman
05-28-2012, 18:46
Hats off on this Memorial Day to all Veterans including my father, uncles and other relatives who fought in the Civil War, Indian Wars, WWII and Korea.

TrapLine
05-28-2012, 19:57
Thank you. May we live lives worthy of the sacrifice.

DIYPatriot
05-31-2012, 09:04
We visited the WW2/D-Day museum on Memorial Day with my grandmother (who met my grandfather and married him before D-Day). My grandmother was a nurse during the war and spent a great deal of time caring for the wounded. In a way, you could say she served, too. My wife deploys very soon and we wanted to pay our respects, remember my grandfather and give my wife a very patriotic send off before a tour in OEF.

When the Navy band struck the first notes to "The Army Goes Rolling Along", you should've seen the old Soldiers stand up and start clapping and singing! It didn't stop there. The band continued with the USMC Hymn and continued until every branch (and every service member stood up and was represented).

To say that the Memorial Day service was moving would be an understatement. From the moment we entered to the moment we left it seemed as if we had somehow revisited the 1940's. The number of WW2 veterans from all branches overshadowed my wildest dreams. There were veterans from every major war through OEF. One of the brothers of a CMOH recipient gave a speech as he and his family donated his brother's medal to the museum. I'm attaching a picture of it to this post.

Above all, nothing could compare to the salute given to the POW/MIA table followed by the solemn sounds of echo taps (see attached photos). Not a single dry eye could be found. It was quite a privilege to meet the old warriors, listen to their stories and witness a part of my grandmother that I thought had been forgotten by time. It was definitely an honor to be among so many heroes.

greenberetTFS
07-13-2012, 18:22
A little late,however my great-granddaughter(Autumn) on that day...........;) :D

MR2
07-21-2012, 08:42
It's amazing that something with no vulgarity can be one of the most insulting and powerful messages to Obama that I have seen to date:

Cobwebs
07-27-2012, 16:28

By Martin Hinton

Published May 27, 2012

FoxNews.com

Amen, with tears welled up. That generation was indeed an inspiration.