PDA

View Full Version : 5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group (we are not amused)

Team Sergeant
05-22-2012, 09:44
News of the "5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" is making the rounds in the "real" Special Forces community and we are not amused.

We hear that the obese 50-60 year olds participating in this "group" are in fact wearing the "Green Berets" all the time and not just while "re-enacting".

I've also been sent emails from "real" Green Beret's that have requested that these "Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" only wear the Green Beret when engaged in a "re-enactment". No response.

I and many other actual 5th SFG members wish you cease and desist with the wearing of the Green Beret. You do not honor us in this manner and from what I understand you are also pretending to be one of us outside of the re-enacting and you are not.

Now you will get a response and now you'll be famous. If we/I do not hear back from someone in your "5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" you and your group will end up in our "Hall of Shame", forever.

All you SF types, feel free to post your comments, what do you think?

Team Sergeant
5th Special Forces Group (ret)

http://5thsf.weebly.com/index.html

http://5thsf.weebly.com/photos.html

BrianH
05-22-2012, 09:54
If they are dressing up running around the woods playing pretend, I have no problem with that.

If they are walking around wearing green berets telling people they are actual 5th Group guys, that is something else entirely.

mark46th
05-22-2012, 10:28
I never got the re-enactment thingy, I always thought it was more of a costume show. If you must re-enact, keep it in the woods. FWIW, I never wore my beanie in the boonies...

greenberetTFS
05-22-2012, 10:52
If they are dressing up running around the woods playing pretend, I have no problem with that.

If they are walking around wearing green berets telling people they are actual 5th Group guys, that is something else entirely.

I'm completely in agreement with BrianH on the above.........:(

Good thing you guys have never seen me in my beret,almost makes me reconsider wearing it ever again in public........:eek:

But,Zonie did convince me that it's better to be a has been,than a never was.......:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

JJ_BPK
05-22-2012, 10:57
Found some contacts

Command Structure

Company CO: Ed Farris farrisdouglas@aol.com
First Platoon CO: Fletcher Isacks fbisacks@yahoo.com
Second Platoon CO: Jeff Hunt ltjeff78624@yahoo.com
SF / Recon CO: Jacob Nishimura hawaiiannishi@yahoo.com
SF / Recon CO: Derek Heuring sapper740@grandecom.net
NVA / VC CO: Ed Benline pvt36th@hotmail.com

Contact Information

Moore Militaria
12793 State Hwy 30, Suite 2
College Station, Texas 77845
(979) 774-9200 phone
(979) 774-9210 fax
sales@mooremilitaria.com
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/plan_of_the_day.htm

Event organizers:
5th Special Forces Reenactment Group
CCC: San Antonio, Texas
CCN: DFW Metroplex, Texas
Major (reenacted) Jacob Nishimura (210) 563-6506 hawaiiannishi@yahoo.com
CSM (reenacted) Derek Heuring (940) 206-5871 sapper740@grandecom.net
Event Sign up at: http://www.tacticalpaintball.com/
Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NVWT

http://vietnamwarreenacting.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=events&action=display&thread=377

And a list of players,, w/pics..

http://5thsf.weebly.com/personnel.html

orion5
05-22-2012, 10:58
From their rules on their website: [link] (http://5thsf.weebly.com/rules-and-regulations.html)

"Any action by any member, either prospective or active, of the 5th SFRG that is judged to be counter to the aims of the group or is disrespectful to any Veteran will result in their membership being summarily terminated!"

Sounds like they need to terminate themselves. :munchin

Pete
05-22-2012, 11:23
Richard - looks like they are from your neck of the woods.

Might be fun to track down one of their public events, run on over and have some casual chit-chat. Not let on you're the real deal.

Might be interesting to find out just how many of them are even vets. Bet the % is low.

Now there are Living Historians, Reenactors and theme based weekend party people (TBWPP's). Not all are the same and some like to blur the lines more than others.

As a group the VN era reenactors seem to be sinking some bucks into transport. Hueys ain't cheap.

ZonieDiver
05-22-2012, 11:26
It's difficult, even in today's military-ignorant public, to go into a pub after a hard day of re-enacting and pass oneself off as a REAL Continental Army soldier, or Conferate/Union soldier, or even a WWII Screaming Eagle.

On the other hand, passing oneself off as a "real-live Green Beret" could be a totally different matter.

On another note, why do several look like their Team House is a Hometown Buffet?

CSB
05-22-2012, 13:15
At least the five year old has someone to tell him how to wear the beret.

GratefulCitizen
05-22-2012, 13:16
Good thing you guys have never seen me in my beret,almost makes me reconsider wearing it ever again in public........:eek:

But,Zonie did convince me that it's better to be a has been,than a never was.......:rolleyes:

"The glory of young men is their strength,
And the splendor of old men is their gray head."
-Proverbs 20:29 (NKJV)

Strength is fleeting but wisdom and experience can be passed on in perpetuity.
You live in a time where that wisdom and experience can reach far.

I'm glad to live in a time and place made possible by men who spent their strength in youth, and share their wisdom in old age.
Many of them wore green headwear.

The fruits of you labor will endure, Big Teddy.

sinjefe
05-22-2012, 13:35

Uhh....50-60 year old men dressing up and running around playing? That's disturbing all by itself.

Richard
05-22-2012, 14:03
We'll have to get a posse together and head on over to Granbury and check on these guys - it's about 2 hours from where I live (if the traffic cooperates). Too bad I'll be in Houston this weekend or I'd go over there to see what they have to say.

Soon, though.

Martin? Fat Tony? We'll have to have a confab after Memorial weekend and see about a link-up to pay these guys a visit.

Richard

ZonieDiver
05-22-2012, 14:16
We'll have to get a posse together and head on over to Granbury and check on these guys - it's about 2 hours from where I live (if the traffic cooperates). Too bad I'll be in Houston this weekend or I'd go over there to see what they have to say.

Soon, though.

Martin? Fat Tony? We'll have to have a confab after Memorial weekend and see about a link-up to pay these guys a visit.

Richard

Take video, please!:D

Sarski
05-22-2012, 15:11

I live fairly close to Mr. Richard, I could do the video end of things if needed :p

As far as the dress up goes...going to war, into combat is not at all fun. Yes there may be goodtimes spotted within here and there, but overall knowing that death can and has come in an instant and from just about any direction...why on earth would anyone want to play in that regard and recreate that which has already been, and that which in some cases alters history and keeps us free?

It is beyond me.

Team Sergeant
05-22-2012, 15:20
It's difficult, even in today's military-ignorant public, to go into a pub after a hard day of re-enacting and pass oneself off as a REAL Continental Army soldier, or Conferate/Union soldier, or even a WWII Screaming Eagle.

On the other hand, passing oneself off as a "real-live Green Beret" could be a totally different matter.

My point exactly. I like the civil war "Re-enacters", but passing yourself off as a real Green Beret today, not respectful in any stretch.

And ditto, I don't remember ever taking a Green Beret to the woods....... so that's not re-enacting either.

Pete
05-22-2012, 15:43
In the land of reenacting they would be UberFarbs.

JJ_BPK
05-22-2012, 16:22
And ditto, I don't remember ever taking a Green Beret to the woods....... so that's not re-enacting either.

Well,, some did,, way back... :munchin

Before we were allowed to wear boonies, NO BODY wanted to wear the stupid garrison baseball caps..

These are a couple pics from a 1969 FTX out in Nantahala National Forest.. :D

wishbone
05-22-2012, 16:48
Groupies are NOT supposed to be obese 50-60 year old men........

This is all somewhat disturbing, and I'm still not sure why they are standing with the Chick-fila cow in one of the pictures.

SOGvet
05-22-2012, 16:57
Well.. lessee here.. they 'displayed' at a recent Texas airshow, and they're scheduled to display this coming weekend at a military museum.

Personally, I have a huge problem with a bunch of "never were's" even remotely representing the Regiment. If any of you believe for one nanosecond that these boneheads aren't passing themselves off as 'real' green berets, it's time to pull your head out of the sand.

"Why, yes, ma'am.. I was a green beret in Vietnam... Can I buy you a drink after the airshow?..."

Whatever works.. but I don't like it. :mad:

blue02hd
05-22-2012, 17:20
Good Lord! What do they put in the Geratol these days?

My advice to you all who plan on bringing the heat, soup up your Hoverounds here http://www.hoveround.com/home/more-information?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hvr&PhoneNumber=8008225213&PageID=1110000086

orion5
05-22-2012, 17:32

They are planning to video their "re-enactment" at Granbury, Tx and upload it to their website. The event is Sunday, May 27, 13:00.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/5thSF/message/2379

Their yahoo group is quite an eye opening read. Lots of bitching and chest thumping from what I can see.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/5thSF/message/2399

cbtengr
05-22-2012, 17:49
I got into reenacting back in the late 80’s during the 125th anniversary of American Civil War celebration. I enjoyed the historical part of reenacting, marching, manual of arms, tenting and I especially enjoyed the living history part, the sharing of knowledge with the general public regarding my equipment and the role of Iowa in the war. But having spent four years in the Regular Army I was not quite so enamored with playing soldier as were many of my fellow re-enactors. It is one thing to have to have officers and NCOs when actually reenacting a battle but at the end of the day I hardly needed someone ordering me around who was only a pretend officer or 1SG. Needless to say rank and authority seemed to have a way of going to their heads. It’s a young man’s hobby, the real war was not fought by a bunch of pot-bellied grey haired old guys, but todays ranks are full of them. I had a good look at the pictures of the guys portraying the 5th, it’s not a flattering portrayal but it gives them an opportunity to be something that many of them could never have been in real life. No doubt there are those who will abuse their role and forget that what they are doing is pretend, they should be dealt with. Hopefully it will be enough to just know that they are being monitored by the REAL Special Forces. I myself could not cross that line of fantasy but I would wager to bet they have no shortage of SF wannabes wanting to join their ranks. In CW reenacting you can be whatever rank or whomever you wish to portray as long as you can afford it, there are a lot of short fat General Grants out there, but who is to tell them they can’t be Grant or Lee or whatever two star general that they wish to portray? Certainly not me I was not a real CW soldier. Legally these guys can probably be whoever they want to but just because you can does not mean you should. I did the CW bit for six years and then I got involved in the preservation of CW monuments and memorials, no single event in the history of our country generated more memorials or monuments, in excess of 400 here in the state of Iowa. A man’s got to know his limitations. And like I said its a young mans hobby.

Dusty
05-22-2012, 18:32
"The glory of young men is their strength,
And the splendor of old men is their gray head."
-Proverbs 20:29 (NKJV)

I'm splendid, then. :D

These guys look like they'd need to turn their pacemakers up to 11 to do a pushup.

mark46th
05-22-2012, 21:11
JJ- Those photos look like a day training exercise, different from a field exercise or a patrol in theater...

ZonieDiver
05-23-2012, 10:23
They are planning to video their "re-enactment" at Granbury, Tx and upload it to their website. The event is Sunday, May 27, 13:00.

Their yahoo group is quite an eye opening read. Lots of bitching and chest thumping from what I can see.

Wow! Reading that really hurt my head. I take it ALL back. These guys are clowns, and should be in big shoes, red noses, and orange hair - not Green Berets with FULL flashes.

DaveMatteson
05-23-2012, 10:34
These guys look like they'd need to turn their pacemakers up to 11 to do a pushup.

I generally do not make fun of people with medical conditions but in this case... :D

I will say one thing, A while back a guy in Washington State put together a WWII Ranger Living history unit and the only requirement was that you graduated US Army Ranger School and you needed the documentation to join. He had 20 guys and they did a couple of living history events but they disbanded after 9/11. The only group I had seen that was real.

Most of the re-enacting units don't like present or former military and I have seen some of these guys argue with vets about what they have and have not done. Reading the Yahoo Group I will bet these guys are the same way.

Irishsquid
05-23-2012, 10:53

Soon, though.

Richard

Richard, I've been meaning to make it up to Granbury to visit an old friend, and would absolutely love to join you on this outing, if you don't mind a non-tabbed biker tagging along...

1stindoor
05-23-2012, 11:11
Good Lord! What do they put in the Geratol these days?

My advice to you all who plan on bringing the heat, soup up your Hoverounds here http://www.hoveround.com/home/more-information?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hvr&PhoneNumber=8008225213&PageID=1110000086

If you're going to truly "soup it up," might I recommend these folks:
http://thebuggyshop.50megs.com/projects/wheelchair.html

Team Sergeant
05-23-2012, 11:14
Thast was fast. They are here to defend their wearing of the Green Beret. Stand-by........

The only ones posting on this thread now is real SF and the re-enacters.

Team Sergeant
05-23-2012, 11:17
Derek Heuring has been cleared by me to post. He doesn't need an intro.

The floor is yours Mr. Heuring.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 12:14
Gentlemen, I'm Derek Heuring, one of the members of the 5th Special Forces Reenactment group which is being discussed on this thread. I just found out about what was being said about us and thankfully, the moderator has seen fit to allow me to post without the 72 hour waiting period. Unfortunately, one or two disgruntled Vietnam War reenactors have been spreading lies about us throughout the internet and beyond and I'm currently in damage control mode, so allow me to set the record straight:

We absolutely do not present ourselves as current or former members of the Special Forces. We stringently enforce this rule and add (reenacted) after our names and ranks in any communications we send mentioning our group.

We do not wear the Green Beret except at reenactments or events where we set up a display of Vietnam War era kit.

We are not "obese 50 to 60 year olds" Our members range in age from 19 to 65 years old and range from skinny to hefty. Having a BMI approximating military standards is one of our rules.

I sought out and received permission to wear the Green Beret at reenactments from the President of the local Special Forces Association at the annual dinner in Dallas 3-4 years ago. Further, I met Phil Stone there who was added as a member of our of our yahoo group so he could monitor our activities. We absolutely wanted to be on the up-and-up with you guys from the get-go. Jacob Nishimura, who lives in San Antonio, asked for permission to wear the Green Beret from Major van der Grift. I earnestly ask anyone with concerns to please contact either of these gentlemen to confirm what I've said.

Having said that, and effective immediately, I'm telling all our members to stop wearing the Green Beret until a consensus is reached on allowing reenactors to wear the Green Beret. Please understand, we hold Special Forces members in the highest regard and would never to anything to besmirch your reputation. This whole debate has been caused by vicious lies being spread by a disgruntled former member. He has no honor and allows others to do his dirty work. I'm available at (940) 206-5871 to answer any of your concerns or questions. derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 12:25

Soon, though.

Richard

Please do. It's always a pleasure to shake the hand of a SF trooper and get pointers to improve our impressions. I hope you like cold beer!

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 12:29
Well.. lessee here.. they 'displayed' at a recent Texas airshow, and they're scheduled to display this coming weekend at a military museum.

Personally, I have a huge problem with a bunch of "never were's" even remotely representing the Regiment. If any of you believe for one nanosecond that these boneheads aren't passing themselves off as 'real' green berets, it's time to pull your head out of the sand.

"Why, yes, ma'am.. I was a green beret in Vietnam... Can I buy you a drink after the airshow?..."

Please read my previous post. We absolutely DO NOT pass ourselves off as real.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 12:50
Guys, I just got off the phone with jacobNishimura and discussed this matter. It was never our intent to stir up any shit for you guys. Even if the majority of you were O.K. with what we're doing, we would still feel that we're wronging those of you who disagree. Unfortunately, and undeservedly, we have been placed in the center of a controversy by a very petty, immature malcontent. So be it. After our commitment to the U.S. Veteran's museum this Memorial Day weekend, we will cease our reenactment activities as the 5th Special Forces Reenactment Group and assume a generic Vietnam War impression. No more Green Berets, no more SF patches. We apologise for any distress we have caused any SF member and hope you accept our sincere aplogy.

Derek Heuring

1stindoor
05-23-2012, 13:02
Thanks for coming onto our site and explaining your side. If you take a look at our "Hall of Shame" thread you'll see that we try to keep the public from being misinformed, mislead, or scammed whenever we hear claims of "Special Forces."

Pete
05-23-2012, 13:10
Living Historians vs Reenacting vs having a good time with the boys, et al.

I think the difference is how the individual is preceived by himself, those in his "unit" and the people who come see them.

There is a real need for Living Historians who are willing to spend the time, money and effort into bringing a small slice of our military history to life for the general public. Some can do it well - others are, as I stated in another post, are at best UberFarbs and worst drunkin weekend theme campers.

Your problem was you picked a specific unit from a war that has a large number of living participants. So you will have a more critical eye turned on you.

I have a young friend about 24 who does VN reenacting and Living Histories. He picked my brain about SF related stuff and spend hours after hours with a retired recon marine from VN. He does a pretty stand up job in front of the public.

It's all in how you do it.

ZonieDiver
05-23-2012, 13:25
Mr. Heuring,

Thank you for coming into our house and explaining about your group and the reasons for its existence. As Pete just said in the previous post, the fact that there are many RVN 5th Group members still around, as well as VN-era SF vets such as myself, has a lot to do with our reticence with allowing others to project OUR image. This has not always - hell, it has RARELY - been done well in the past, and we are quite protective.

While the green beret is in actuality just a type of headgear, the donning of the Green Beret during one's Special Forces training, whenever it was done - depending upon when one was in training, was a major milestone in most of our lives. We guard that treasure closely.

I was concerned, when I visited your website, that there was no "Mission Statement" or "Vision" listed anywhere. I read the "History" that was present, but it was the history of the 5th SFGA, not of your organization. While I accept your word that you police the activities of your members, in regard to potential "posing" or improper wearing of the beret (which some pictures indicated was not done exceedingly well), it disturbed me that this was NOT specifically spelled out anywhere - that I could find - on your website. Had it been, I probably would have been somewhat reassured.

Again, thank you for stepping up and exposing yourself to the potential of "incoming fire" personally. I appreciate that.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 13:33
Living Historians vs Reenacting vs having a good time with the boys, et al.

I think the difference is how the individual is preceived by himself, those in his "unit" and the people who come see them.

There is a real need for Living Historians who are willing to spend the time, money and effort into bringing a small slice of our military history to life for the general public. Some can do it well - others are, as I stated in another post, are at best UberFarbs and worst drunkin weekend theme campers.

Your problem was you picked a specific unit from a war that has a large number of living participants. So you will have a more critical eye turned on you.

I have a young friend about 24 who does VN reenacting and Living Histories. He picked my brain about SF related stuff and spend hours after hours with a retired recon marine from VN. He does a pretty stand up job in front of the public.

It's all in how you do it.

Good comments. We've been acutely aware of the issues that could crop up if we did a specific unit, especially an SF unit. We picked the 5th SF because one of our member's uncles was a member of the 5th. Little did we know the furor that could be raised by one disgruntled person. The phone lines, or should I say, cell towers are burning here in Texas as calls come in with support for our group. Jeff Hunt, curator of the military Museum in Camp Mabry just called us with support and an offer to set anyone straight with concern's regarding our group's activities or authenticity standard. I think the one dope who started this nonsense is going to find that he is persona-non-grata at future events in Texas. No one wants a lying backstabber in their group.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 13:48
Mr. Heuring,

Thank you for coming into our house and explaining about your group and the reasons for its existence. As Pete just said in the previous post, the fact that there are many RVN 5th Group members still around, as well as VN-era SF vets such as myself, has a lot to do with our reticence with allowing others to project OUR image. This has not always - hell, it has RARELY - been done well in the past, and we are quite protective.

While the green beret is in actuality just a type of headgear, the donning of the Green Beret during one's Special Forces training, whenever it was done - depending upon when one was in training, was a major milestone in most of our lives. We guard that treasure closely.

I was concerned, when I visited your website, that there was no "Mission Statement" or "Vision" listed anywhere. I read the "History" that was present, but it was the history of the 5th SFGA, not of your organization. While I accept your word that you police the activities of your members, in regard to potential "posing" or improper wearing of the beret (which some pictures indicated was not done exceedingly well), it disturbed me that this was NOT specifically spelled out anywhere - that I could find - on your website. Had it been, I probably would have been somewhat reassured.

Again, thank you for stepping up and exposing yourself to the potential of "incoming fire" personally. I appreciate that.

Thank you for your constructive comments, and service to our country. your points are well taken and in the future we will be sure to add a Mission Statement to our website. Currently, we are going to step back from portraying a SF unit and do a generic VN war impression for a spell to see how this all plays out. We will do an SF impression periodically upon request by an SF Association. Reason I say this is because Jacob was recently contacted by the SF Association in his area for us to do a display and possibly an Honor Guard, which, of course, we would be delighted to do. Other than specifc requests, there are lots of other impressions that we can do. We have recently contacted the Vietnamese community and have asked them to participate in our events. This weekend, for the first time, maybe in the U.S., we have Vietnamese veterans of the ARVN and LLDB reenacting with us. Further, I've recruited a young Vietnamese fellow whom I work with to reenact as my CIDG RTO. I'd like to extend an invite to all SF members to come out to Granbury on Sunday, say "Howdy" and meet us all first hand.

Derek.

Pete
05-23-2012, 13:50
Derek;

Most reenactors do pick a specific unit for their general impression. Usually because one of the founding members has a tie to that unit.

The "unit" designation helps focus the members on preserving the unit's history. Civil War reenactors work hard at raising money to preserve battle flags, purchase original items from unit members of that war to be placed in museums, doing Living Histories to educate the public and spend a good bit of time helping raise money for the Civil War Preservation Trust to help buy key land from the war.

What is your unit doing to preserve History?

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:36
In the land of reenacting they would be UberFarbs.

Nein, mein StabsFeldwebel. Please be aware, there a lot of pictures on our website of non-members.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:39
My point exactly. I like the civil war "Re-enacters", but passing yourself off as a real Green Beret today, not respectful in any stretch.

Never did, never have, never will.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:42
Groupies are NOT supposed to be obese 50-60 year old men........

This is all somewhat disturbing, and I'm still not sure why they are standing with the Chick-fila cow in one of the pictures.

Those aren't members of our group, however, the guys standing in the pic with the hot young babes when we supported the Wounded Warriors dinner at the American Airlines maintenance facility at Alliance Airport are. In order to do an accurate portrayal of SF members, we need to have good taste in women, correct?

Derek.

Dusty
05-23-2012, 14:43
So be it. After our commitment to the U.S. Veteran's museum this Memorial Day weekend, we will cease our reenactment activities as the 5th Special Forces Reenactment Group and assume a generic Vietnam War impression. No more Green Berets, no more SF patches.
Derek Heuring

Prudent

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:44

Never did, never have, never will.

Derek

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:47

Thank you for posting this link to our yahoo group. If you'll read closely, you'll see who is doing the most "bitching and chest thumping" A non-member and a former member.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 14:58
Thanks for coming onto our site and explaining your side. If you take a look at our "Hall of Shame" thread you'll see that we try to keep the public from being misinformed, mislead, or scammed whenever we hear claims of "Special Forces."

Yes, I'm very aware of the "Hall of Shame" and would never do anything so as to be added to it. I'm an honorable man, a veteran myself, and try to lead an exemplary life....well, two out of three ain't bad.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 16:52
Derek;

Most reenactors do pick a specific unit for their general impression. Usually because one of the founding members has a tie to that unit.

The "unit" designation helps focus the members on preserving the unit's history. Civil War reenactors work hard at raising money to preserve battle flags, purchase original items from unit members of that war to be placed in museums, doing Living Histories to educate the public and spend a good bit of time helping raise money for the Civil War Preservation Trust to help buy key land from the war.

What is your unit doing to preserve History?

Thank you for asking. The general public is not as educated as we are of the Special Force's interaction with the Indigenous population and how they created a large and effective force of very loyal comrades-in-arms from the various Montagnard groups in Vietnam. We have been attempting to recruit from the Vietnamese population here in Texas to get enough Vietnamese reenactors to portray an authentic A Team and possibly even a Mike Force. So far as I know, no other SF or SOG reenactment group in the world has yet to do that. We were on the verge of creating the first accurately portrayed A Team until this setback.
Further, we display all the kit, especially the more esoteric stuff that SF troopers carried in Vietnam such as sawed off M79s, Indig rucksacks, radios, rations, and everything else. We do this in conjunction with several museums and veteran's organizations here in Texas; the U.S. Veteran's Museum in Granbury, the National Vietnam War Museum in Mineral Wells, Camp Mabry's Muster Day, the Medal of Honor parade in Gainesville and other Vietnamese and Veteran's groups.
We also have a graphic display of punji sticks and booby traps which SF troopers encountered in Vietnam.
In the planning stage is an A Team base which we're coordinating with the museum in Granbury from which we'll host Tactical and Show battles as well as use to educate the public. As I may have stated previously, we're in high demand with various organizations for the extensive and accurate portrayal of weapons, kit, and uniforms used by the SF in VN.
Derek.

Richard
05-23-2012, 17:14
I'm gonna start telling people I was a WAC Company 1SG before having gender reassignment surgery to attend the SFQC. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

glebo
05-23-2012, 17:16
I'm gonna start telling people I was a WAC Company 1SG before having gender reassignment surgery to attend the SFQC. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...

Hmmm, I knew sumtin was up....:D:D....

J/K Mr Richard...

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 17:53

And so it goes...

Any chance you were at Dick's Last Resort on Lamar at the annual dinner 3-4 years ago? We may have met. I'm terrible with names...I remember Phil Stone because he has been a member, though not a regular poster, of our yahoo group. I and two other members of my group met with the President of your association then to get his blessing for what we wanted to do. I can't remember his name..big guy with a cane.

Derek.

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 18:26
News of the "5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" is making the rounds in the "real" Special Forces community and we are not amused.

We hear that the obese 50-60 year olds participating in this "group" are in fact wearing the "Green Berets" all the time and not just while "re-enacting".

I've also been sent emails from "real" Green Beret's that have requested that these "Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" only wear the Green Beret when engaged in a "re-enactment". No response.

I and many other actual 5th SFG members wish you cease and desist with the wearing of the Green Beret. You do not honor us in this manner and from what I understand you are also pretending to be one of us outside of the re-enacting and you are not.

Now you will get a response and now you'll be famous. If we/I do not hear back from someone in your "5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group" you and your group will end up in our "Hall of Shame", forever.

All you SF types, feel free to post your comments, what do you think?

Team Sergeant
5th Special Forces Group (ret)

http://5thsf.weebly.com/index.html

http://5thsf.weebly.com/photos.html

Would you do the honorable thing and send me in a private email just who has been telling you these lies about our group so I may confront the coward? If he has any cojones at all, let him repeat his lies without cowering behind the anonymity of the internet.

Derek.

ZonieDiver
05-23-2012, 18:41
I and two other members of my group met with the President of your association then to get his blessing for what we wanted to do. I can't remember his name..big guy with a cane.

While I appreciate the fact that you sought guidance and approval prior to wearing the Green Beret during your group's activities, I don't think it is within the purview of a Special Forces Association chapter president acting unilaterally, or the entire chapter, or for that matter the Special Forces Association itself, to officially approve the wearing of the Green Beret by non-SF qualified people.

I could be wrong, and its my opinion only, but several recent events have caused me to doubt the mental capacity of many of my aging Special Forces brethren.

Richard
05-23-2012, 18:45
Any chance you were at Dick's Last Resort on Lamar at the annual dinner 3-4 years ago? We may have met. I'm terrible with names...I remember Phil Stone because he has been a member, though not a regular poster, of our yahoo group. I and two other members of my group met with the President of your association then to get his blessing for what we wanted to do. I can't remember his name..big guy with a cane.

Derek.

Yep - Veterans Day dinner and auction - you're talking about Ron. Personally, I don't have any issues with your reenactment group as long as they aren't representing themselves as being SF.

trapper
05-23-2012, 19:45
If I remember, it was JFK that commissioned the beret for us.

The day I was allowed to first dawn the beret after 31 months of Hell was one I will never forget.

Each day since earning the beret has been spent trying to live up to everything it stands for.

As a member of the Regiment, as well as the Legion, I just do not feel comfortable with folks wearing it, even if they do mean well. Just my 2 cents...

Derek Heuring
05-23-2012, 19:50
While I appreciate the fact that you sought guidance and approval prior to wearing the Green Beret during your group's activities, I don't think it is within the purview of a Special Forces Association chapter president acting unilaterally, or the entire chapter, or for that matter the Special Forces Association itself, to officially approve the wearing of the Green Beret by non-SF qualified people.

I could be wrong, and its my opinion only, but several recent events have caused me to doubt the mental capacity of many of my aging Special Forces brethren.

Here's a question to all SF members: If you are to be commemorated by groups such as mine, (assuming you guys want to be commemorated) why don't you develop a set of guidelines at the national level for us reenactors? Right now there are several SF and SOG reenactment groups around the country ranging from top notch to really, really bad. When you see the ruckus kicked up over my group, and we're one of the better ones, wouldn't it be in everyone's interest to develop standards and rules?

derek.

greenberetTFS
05-24-2012, 03:15
Here's a question to all SF members: If you are to be commemorated by groups such as mine, (assuming you guys want to be commemorated) why don't you develop a set of guidelines at the national level for us reenactors? Right now there are several SF and SOG reenactment groups around the country ranging from top notch to really, really bad. When you see the ruckus kicked up over my group, and we're one of the better ones, wouldn't it be in everyone's interest to develop standards and rules?

derek.

Derek,fill out your profile.........:rolleyes:

Dusty
05-24-2012, 04:00

derek.

It's simple. Don't don a Green Beret unless it was awarded. Then, there'll be no ruckus.

MVP
05-24-2012, 10:13
Of course I was too young for VN and although I was 17 when 5th departed VN, I could not get into the CIA's secret double classified program. That said, I would say developing "Commemoration" standards would be appropriate for the 100th aniversary of 5th leaving VN. Til then, not sure anyone needs an SF "commemoration unit".

MVP

Derek Heuring
05-24-2012, 11:07
It's simple. Don't don a Green Beret unless it was awarded. Then, there'll be no ruckus.

Gentlemen, I can see that the idea of reenactor's wearing the Green Beret is a contentitious issue. I'm here to tell one and all that my group will no longer wear the Green Beret. other groups may continue but not the members of the former 5th Special Forces Reenactment Group. It was never our intent to create a problem for the men we earnestly sought to commemorate. We will continue to reenact and display our vietnam era kit and continue to honor all veterans in general and Vietnam War veterans specifically, we'll just do it without the Green Beret. I'd like to thank all of you for your service, and the privilege of portraying you for the last few years.

Derek Heuring

Derek Heuring
05-24-2012, 11:26
Gentlemen, I just received an interesting private question from a member of this forum asking me why I didn't serve our country instead of reenacting. For the record, I, as well as MOST of my group's members are veterans of one of the branchs of service.

My gawd!, Whatever ever happened to getting both sides of a story before making up one's mind! Better opinionated than educated, I guess.

Derek Heuring

Team Sergeant
05-24-2012, 11:35
Gentlemen, I just received an interesting private question from a member of this forum asking me why I didn't serve our country instead of reenacting. For the record, I, as well as MOST of my group's members are veterans of one of the branchs of service.

My gawd!, Whatever ever happened to getting both sides of a story before making up one's mind! Better opinionated than educated, I guess.

Derek Heuring

Derek, no one here has questioned your veteran status. This is not about you, its about your group portraying Special Forces soldiers and wearing the green beret. You and your group were not placed into the Hall of Shame because we wanted to hear your side of the story first. We have herd your side of the story and you have heard what we think of you wearing the green beret.

It's a free country, you can wear the green beret and pretend all you like but you now know how many of us feel about it.

You've stated that you and your group will not be wearing the green beret again during reenactments. That is fine by us.

This issue is done as far as I'm concerned.
Team Sergeant

Derek Heuring
05-24-2012, 11:59
Derek, no one here has questioned your veteran status. This is not about you, its about your group portraying Special Forces soldiers and wearing the green beret. You and your group were not placed into the Hall of Shame because we wanted to hear your side of the story first. We have herd your side of the story and you have heard what we think of you wearing the green beret.

It's a free country, you can wear the green beret and pretend all you like but you now know how many of us feel about it.

You've stated that you and your group will not be wearing the green beret again during reenactments. That is fine by us.

This issue is done as far as I'm concerned.
Team Sergeant

I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight, and with your permission I'll continue to monitor this forum to ensure that more lies are not spread about my reenactment group. I will ask you again to identify the person or persons who first told you all the lies about us. I find it hard to believe that you protect a coward who lets others do his dirty work when I have given this forum's members sufficient info to verify what I've said. I've been upfront and honest with you and have given you three former SF members to contact to verify that I'm telling the truth and have only had honorable intentions from the get-go.

Derek Heuring

Team Sergeant
05-24-2012, 12:12
I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight, and with your permission I'll continue to monitor this forum to ensure that more lies are not spread about my reenactment group. I will ask you again to identify the person or persons who first told you all the lies about us. I find it hard to believe that you protect a coward who lets others do his dirty work when I have given this forum's members sufficient info to verify what I've said. I've been upfront and honest with you and have given you three former SF members to contact to verify that I'm telling the truth and have only had honorable intentions from the get-go.

Derek Heuring

Derek,
How I came about the information is my business. If I gave you that information many would be hesitant to send me tips on real Special Forces frauds. It has nothing to do with honor or protecting individuals, it has everything to do with making a responsible decision. So to answer your question, no you may not have the emails concerning the 5th Special Forces Re-Enactment Group.

Please feel free to "monitor" our website. It's free of charge and we're hiding in plain sight.

Team Sergeant

Dusty
05-24-2012, 12:35
I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to set the record straight, and with your permission I'll continue to monitor this forum to ensure that more lies are not spread about my reenactment group.

As we will continue to monitor your group.

Surgicalcric
05-24-2012, 15:47
How I came about the information is my business. If I gave you that information many would be hesitant to send me tips...

TS:

The CIA could take a page from your play book given their recent past of allowing their sources of information to be leaked. :D

Crip

twistedsquid
05-24-2012, 17:55

what if im 3 and its my dad's?

mark46th
05-24-2012, 19:35
Twisted- If he is sitting in a bar claiming to be an operator to pick up women, no. :D

FWIW, I let my son wear mine sometimes when he was little. He is older now, and knows not to accept an award he hasn't earned...

twistedsquid
05-24-2012, 21:16
Twisted- If he is sitting in a bar claiming to be an operator to pick up women, no. :D

FWIW, I let my son wear mine sometimes when he was little. He is older now, and knows not to accept an award he hasn't earned...

thanks for saying that...means more than you know...

abc_123
05-25-2012, 05:31

Same thing here.

Dusty
05-25-2012, 06:46
Kids are cute wearing daddy's Beret: IMO, non-qualified re-enactors aren't.

Richard
05-25-2012, 07:09
I disagree - they're a historical reenactment group - as with all the other groups (e.g., the FSSF reenactors, the LSSAH reenactors, the MACVSOG reenactors, etc), I don't see the issue as long as they don't claim to have been SF and remain up front letting everyone know it.

Wasn't John Wayne the ultimate SF "reenactor"... ;)

Mis dos centavos.

Dusty
05-25-2012, 07:23
I disagree - they're a historical reenactment group - as with all the other groups (e.g., the FSSF reenactors, the LSSAH reenactors, the MACVSOG reenactors, etc), I don't see the issue as long as they don't claim to have been SF and remain up front letting everyone know it.

Wasn't John Wayne the ultimate SF "reenactor"... ;)

Mis dos centavos.

The Duke was on celluloid. No matter how many times you rewind, he does the same thing, says the same thing, acts the same way.

How can you know what a "re-enactor" will do or say while he's wearing a Green Beret?

I don't think a man should wear an unauthorized Green Beret any more than I think a man should put on a CMH he didn't earn.

Maybe I hold the Green Beret in too high esteem...

Derek Heuring
05-25-2012, 10:39
If any members of this forum wishes, they may join our new yahoo group at:

Inoffensive_Generic_Vietnam_reenactors-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

As you can tell from the name, we are no longer doing an SF impression. Since we still have vast amounts of kit and all the various uniforms, from Fatigues, to Jungle Fatigues (all patterns) to Tiger Stripes, SOG, Viet Cong, NVA, Duck Hunter and Beo Gam we will continue to reenact and display the gear used by Vietnam vets to educate the public and honor those who served. Moving forward, we will choose different eras and branches of service to commemorate on any particular weekend.
I repeat my promise to all of you, my group will no longer wear the Green Beret nor any SF patches on our uniforms. I extend an invitation to any of you living in North Texas to come to Granbury on Sunday afternoon, May 27th to meet us.

Derek Heuring

Team Sergeant
05-25-2012, 10:43
If any members of this forum wishes, they may join our new yahoo group at:

Inoffensive_Generic_Vietnam_reenactors-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

As you can tell from the name, we are no longer doing an SF impression. Since we still have vast amounts of kit and all the various uniforms, from Fatigues, to Jungle Fatigues (all patterns) to Tiger Stripes, SOG, Viet Cong, NVA, Duck Hunter and Beo Gam we will continue to reenact and display the gear used by Vietnam vets to educate the public and honor those who served. Moving forward, we will choose different eras and branches of service to commemorate on any particular weekend.
I repeat my promise to all of you, my group will no longer wear the Green Beret nor any SF patches on our uniforms. I extend an invitation to any of you living in North Texas to come to Granbury on Sunday afternoon, May 27th to meet us.

Derek Heuring

Thank you, you've stepped up and did the honorable thing.
Team Sergeant

greenberetTFS
05-25-2012, 11:37
The Duke was on celluloid. No matter how many times you rewind, he does the same thing, says the same thing, acts the same way.

How can you know what a "re-enactor" will do or say while he's wearing a Green Beret?

I don't think a man should wear an unauthorized Green Beret any more than I think a man should put on a CMH he didn't earn.

Maybe I hold the Green Beret in too high esteem...

I posted this somewhere on this forum a long while ago,but unable to find it,so I'll just repeat it now:

When I earned and received my Green Beret at graduation,Maggie cried because she knew how much I wanted to get it.........So did I,but of course not in front of the guys.......... She was the "wind beneath my wings"..........;)

cant hardly
05-26-2012, 01:16

Derek Heuring
05-27-2012, 07:06
I have no strong opinion on the subject, but I suppose if history is the goal, and they are serious about portraying things as historically accurate as possible, have at it.

That being said, I like the CIDG- I can't imagine a lot of good-timers or those ignorant of history would go so far to include them.

It was always our intent to accurately portray the exploits and missions undertaken by the SF in Vietnam which would have been impossible to do without, of course, getting some Vietnamese reenactors to portray the CIDG. I was fortunate to have a Vietnamese co-worker agree to do a CIDG RTO impression with our reenactment group. He has quite the story himself, he was loaded onto a boat at the age of ten with his sister sometime after the fall of Saigon. His father was being closely watched for serving with U.S. Forces during the war and if he had tried to accompany his children they would have in all likelihood all been arrested. Fortunately, they were picked up by a U.S. Navy vessel before they encountered any of the numerous pirates operating off the coast and made it safely to the U.S. Tinh has many contacts in the Vietnamese community here in North Texas and I recently met with former members of the LLDB and other Vietnamese military to invite them to come out to our events, which they have enthusiastically agreed to do. I sincerely hope that all our efforts have not been sabotaged by one lousy, lying S.O.S.

Derek.