PDA

View Full Version : SOPC for Prior Service

tjm6294
05-20-2012, 17:57
Hello Gentlemen,

I searched this board for an answer but could not find a satisfactory answer. Hopefully I didn't miss something here

I'm currently prior service enlisting as an 18x in the coming months. I have been preparing for SFAS/SFQC to the best of my ability, mostly through traditional PT and rucking.
I am sure I am physically and mentally prepared for the challenges ahead (as much as one can be) But i have read this board and seen the statistics on how effective SOPC is.
I would like to know if prior service (army) recruits are sent to SOPC. I have read this thread: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759&highlight=sopc+prior+service
But it seems to be possibly dated. Some information on the internet has conflicting answers, my recruiter said "he'll look into it" which means it may take a few weeks to get a straight answer. I would be very grateful if someone here with experience as a prior service 18x could educate me.
Thank you

PS: The search terms I used are "SOPC prior service" and "SOPC PS" hopefully I didn't have a brainfart and use the wrong terms

Just wanted to add, I did read this http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37717 thread. The gentleman here is a Prior Service Marine, not Army, which is why I posed this question. I am unsure if the army differentiates PS Marines and PS Army with the training pipeline.
Thank you once again

Air.177
05-20-2012, 18:47
It was my experience that all 18X-rays will attend SOPC prior to SFAS. Also, SOPC II is no longer in the course (or wasn't when I went through). If you're an X-Ray, you'll go to SOPC. It was one of the best courses I've been to and I would gladly go back or do something similar once a year.

HTH, YMMV

good times,
Blake

tjm6294
05-20-2012, 20:16
It was my experience that all 18X-rays will attend SOPC prior to SFAS. Also, SOPC II is no longer in the course (or wasn't when I went through). If you're an X-Ray, you'll go to SOPC. It was one of the best courses I've been to and I would gladly go back or do something similar once a year.

HTH, YMMV

good times,
Blake

Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply, Blake.

Medic88
05-21-2012, 07:35
I'm prior service Army (68W), NG to AD for 18X . In my packet I got SOPC, as well as BAC and Infantry school. When you go to MEPs and sit with the counselor they will be able to tell you exactly what is in your contract. If you are not Infantry there is a good chance you'll get this as well. On the contract it says the whole 15 week BCT/Infantry OSUT, They have to put that down, from what every one tells me is when you get to Benning and they see your PS and an 18X they have you do the last 4-5 weeks simply for the Infantry. I hope it will be that way, but if not an extra 10 weeks to get in shape mentally and physically. If you haven't gone to MEPs yet I would hurry, cause the 18X slots are going fast. I got mine in November 2011 and I got one of the last slots for fiscal year 2012, and it had only been open for 6 weeks. Then again MEPs and the Army literally changes everyday. Mind you going to MEPs soon does not mean you'll ship fast. I've been waiting for a little over 6 months, which I hear is pretty standard. Good luck to you.

Cool Breeze
05-22-2012, 14:44
I was an instructor at SOPC/Phase 1A from 02-04 and our "phase" was on Bragg in the old WWII barracks by Pike Field. I stopped by in 09 to see if anyone was still there and was told that it didn't exist anymore. If it does, it has been renamed and probably moved to Mackall but I can't say for certain. We did have some prior service guys go through when I was there (Force Recon and a PJ) and if I remember correctly, they both did pretty well. If nothing else, they were more mature than the other "new to the military" 18X candidates and were able to see past the mental stress we laid on them.

Surgicalcric
05-22-2012, 18:37
<<<SNIP>>>

I think we may know each other or at least crossed paths there at PH-1A.

SOPC still exists but it has been relocated from the (in)famous Pike Field area to Camp MacKall.

Oh the memories of the gig pits - they still haunt me.

Crip