PDA

View Full Version : December 2012 SFRE

icio
05-15-2012, 14:08
Hello,

Is anybody in the Inland Empire, i.e. Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, Ontario, Claremont, etc. interested in rucking?

If so, then please PM me.

Horrible
05-31-2012, 08:41
Sent you a PM. Also, do you know exactly what day it is?

e_g_m
06-24-2012, 07:09
Nov 30th-Dec 2.

More info and the documents you need to have filled out can be found here http://www.calguard.ca.gov/sf/Pages/sfreprep.aspx

Horrible
06-26-2012, 21:54
Nice! Finally have a date to look forward to.

I wonder if they'll be strict on footwear for us Marines ;)

head
06-26-2012, 22:13
Nice! Finally have a date to look forward to.

I wonder if they'll be strict on footwear for us Marines ;)

I would imagine you should wear footwear that would be acceptable in the Marine Corps.

tom kelly
06-29-2012, 15:46
DID YOU RECEIVE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHEN & WHERE TO REPORT?
DID YOU RECEIVE A LIST OF ITEMS TO BRING & ALSO ITEMS NOT TO BRING?
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PUT IN DETAIL TO AVOID THESE TYPES OF QUESTIONS:
One suggestion that I would give would be to get to the FAYETTIVLE, NC area at least 2 weeks before you start training so that you may acclimate yourself to the climate. The Tempperature on Ft.Bragg this afternoon is 105 degrees F.
Regard's, Tom Kelly

Horrible
06-29-2012, 23:13
Solid copy. It was a dumb comment.

Buleh84
07-20-2012, 06:56
Anyone in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Salinas area looking for a ruck, land nav or workout buddy in preparation for SFRE, let me know. I'll be back in the area early September.

smorales
07-25-2012, 13:54
I have a question about the boots for the upcoming SFRE:

I was issued Rocky S2V Boots and Nike SFB Boots. Are these acceptable? The packing list said :

2 sets Military boots. Should be well broken in, but not worn out. No HI-TECH or OAKLEY style boots.

Does that mean boots like BELLEVILLE's etc?

Thanks

Buleh84
07-25-2012, 22:17
Smorales,
I'll be heading to the same SFRE (ergo not a QP) and interpreted it thus:
The boots you were issued in Basic, or ones similar. The Bellevilles should be fine.

No Bates Ultralights, Rocky S2V or Nike Koolguyz.Those definitely fall under the category of high-tech.

If I may offer an unsolicited 2 cents: don't overthink it. Bring whats on the packing list and keep it simple. Good luck, see you in December.
Bule

18C4V
07-26-2012, 12:51
I have a question about the boots for the upcoming SFRE:

I was issued Rocky S2V Boots and Nike SFB Boots. Are these acceptable? The packing list said :

2 sets Military boots. Should be well broken in, but not worn out. No HI-TECH or OAKLEY style boots.

Does that mean boots like BELLEVILLE's etc?

Thanks

Are you originally from California? Reason I'm asking is that A/1/19th is in WA and is a lot closer to you than California.

As for the boots, like what Bule84 said.

smorales
07-27-2012, 21:27
18C4V,

Yes I am originally from California. I wanted to go to the WA Unit out of Buckley, few of my friends are out of there. However, as my situation goes it will be easier to go through the unit in Southern California.

Also, the LBE I have is not standard issue. What LBE do i need for the SFRE.

Thanks,

Sam

18C4V
07-27-2012, 22:11
18C4V,

Yes I am originally from California. I wanted to go to the WA Unit out of Buckley, few of my friends are out of there. However, as my situation goes it will be easier to go through the unit in Southern California.

Also, the LBE I have is not standard issue. What LBE do i need for the SFRE.

Thanks,

Sam

Use what you were issued for LBE.

Horrible
08-11-2012, 02:05
I've talked to a bunch of guys going to this. Seems like a lot of people are excited and motivated for this opportunity. I, for one, am excited to be getting back to the great southern california weather after this entire month of 120 degree days we've been having in Helmand! What Im not excited about is switching from the nice pack that the Marine Corps gave me to a MOLLE pack.

How is everyone else's training going?

Buleh84
08-16-2012, 17:40
Starting a new training cycle after a week off. Time to turn it up a notch. Found some great trails on Fort Ord for rucking. The beach beckons for a night run tonight!

18C4V
08-16-2012, 17:53
Starting a new training cycle after a week off. Time to turn it up a notch. Found some great trails on Fort Ord for rucking. The beach beckons for a night run tonight!

Ah, lovely Planet Ord. Try the areas around East Garrison for good rucks and runs. You might see the old signs of the old Light Fighter Academy where CLC (Combat Leader Course, then PRC) used to be. Lots of the old training areas are great for getting ready for SFRE/SFAS/SFQC, athough, I would stay away from the obstacle courses (even if they are still up) since they were last maintained back in 1994.

Buleh84
08-21-2012, 16:23
Ah, lovely Planet Ord. Try the areas around East Garrison for good rucks and runs. You might see the old signs of the old Light Fighter Academy where CLC (Combat Leader Course, then PRC) used to be. Lots of the old training areas are great for getting ready for SFRE/SFAS/SFQC, athough, I would stay away from the obstacle courses (even if they are still up) since they were last maintained back in 1994.

Magnificent place, really. Half of it is still off limits due to UXO, but still plenty of land for training. I had a nice map made up at MyTopo, so I have more options for land nav. I confess I did try and see if there were climibing ropes still up there or DLI, but no joy; just some frayed strands dangling from a crosspiece.

RADMAC
09-14-2012, 10:56
Magnificent place, really. Half of it is still off limits due to UXO, but still plenty of land for training. I had a nice map made up at MyTopo, so I have more options for land nav. I confess I did try and see if there were climibing ropes still up there or DLI, but no joy; just some frayed strands dangling from a crosspiece.

Hey Bule, is the terrain out there at Ord similar to Camp SLO? I've had some range days out at Camp SLO with my last unit, it's relatively mild as I remember. Difficult nonetheless after a full day of training I'm sure. I wasn't sure though how deep into the hills the SFRE ruck route would get, so I've just been rucking half flat and half hills, just to be ready for both.

Horrible
09-19-2012, 02:32
I know it's a little late now, but I just got back from Afghanistan and am looking for a rucking partner for this. Am definitely not starting from scratch here, but having another dude for motivation could help ensure my rucking ability is solid. PM me if you're in the San Diego area.

SDK
10-14-2012, 22:15
I know it's a little late now, but I just got back from Afghanistan and am looking for a rucking partner for this. Am definitely not starting from scratch here, but having another dude for motivation could help ensure my rucking ability is solid. PM me if you're in the San Diego area.

Double this. We need more people than just us two. Plus, I'll need a ride up to SLO for this. All SD area people, contact one of us.

Horrible
10-20-2012, 16:34
Double this. We need more people than just us two. Plus, I'll need a ride up to SLO for this. All SD area people, contact one of us.

Echoing the above statement: I've got room enough to fit one more guy + gear in my car if they need a ride to SLO.

e_g_m
10-20-2012, 19:00
Echoing the above statement: I've got room enough to fit one more guy + gear in my car if they need a ride to SLO.

pm inbound

GISE
10-25-2012, 17:49
If any norcal people are interested in car pooling or want a ruck/workout buddy, PM me.

Horrible
11-29-2012, 23:39
Tomorrow's the day, gents. I'm not looking forward to the six hour drive but I'm definitely looking forward to giving it my all. See you there!