PDA

View Full Version : Winchester XTRA .22 cal recall

CSM-H
05-09-2012, 11:01
Hey to all this could be old news to some of you, but I sure didn't know it. I am presently out here in California with my brother, we were in Cedarville Ca shooting/killing ground squirrels.

I was using a 10/22 Ruger, firing the named above ammo, this was our third day of shooting, I fired two rounds and was zeroing in on a third shot and kaboom....Ruger blows the magazine out of the 10/22, fractures the extractor and cracks the stock forward and back from the receiver.

Needless to say I took immediate account of all body parts and then got a case of the ass.....One ruined rifle. Got sprayed a little and nothing else, brother says hey you want to keep shooting, oh hell yes (no I never thought about .22 ammo exploding, basically "plus-p"). He hands me his 77/22 bolt action...I fire one shot, go to fire the second shot and kaboom, "blown-up" second rifle....Never has this ever happened to me in ALL the years of .22 shooting or any other shooting, let alone twice in 10 minutes.

We are attempting to contact Winchester as we speak, if you have any of this ammunition, get rid of it...Look up "Winchester .22 ammo recall" you will see the original notice was from 2007. Our 500 round box of ammo does NOT have any of the referenced code letters as recalled ammo, this could be a new batch of defective ammo.

As this progresses I will add more information. CSM-H

PS: well we have received our first return call and of course "they" Winchester states unless we have the cartridge that was fired out (while hunting in a farmers field) of the weapon there is nothing they can do....Next level we go. Also the Carton number for this ammunition is: RCLR72A, E124821.

2018commo
05-09-2012, 14:58
I think my son has been using this in his S&W 15-22, thanks for the heads up.

Inflexible Six
07-10-2012, 09:26
My 15-year old has a 10/22, my 19-year old has a Colt/Umarex 22 M4 and I had some of this sitting on a shelf and was going to let them shoot it up.

This was timely and I thank you. Back to CCI minimag.--

Sam

Badger52
07-10-2012, 13:08
PS: well we have received our first return call and of course "they" Winchester states unless we have the cartridge that was fired out (while hunting in a farmers field) of the weapon there is nothing they can do....Next level we go. Also the Carton number for this ammunition is: RCLR72A, E124821.Sorry to hear of the loss of some fine (and one classic) rifle. If some 1:1 with someone at Winchester who will make you good on firearms' replacement costs is unattainable, I'm reminded of how a little Google-saturation can impact the reputation of a poser...

Jes' saying. And thanks, I missed this as well and probably have some laying around.
(although I'm typically shooting CCI Minimags, or CB caps in the pump, or Fed GM in the pistols)

CSM-H
07-16-2012, 14:22
Sorry to hear of the loss of some fine (and one classic) rifle. If some 1:1 with someone at Winchester who will make you good on firearms' replacement costs is unattainable, I'm reminded of how a little Google-saturation can impact the reputation of a poser...

Jes' saying. And thanks, I missed this as well and probably have some laying around.
(although I'm typically shooting CCI Minimags, or CB caps in the pump, or Fed GM in the pistols)

Badger52, that would great now the folks at Winchester are saying that they didn't tell him to send the rifles "complete" as fired...scopes, sling, bipods....of course now stuff is gone or missplaced. Guns are at Ruger and they asking Winchester where the "stuff" is at... I sent my brother the pictures I have that show the guns complete. I was also on the call that "Brad" told us to send the guns with all accessories.... So long winded, yes a little help would be great.. CSM-H

Richard
07-16-2012, 15:55
Keep us posted.

I hope I don't run into this problem with my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag - I mostly fire Winchester Super-X with it. :eek:

I've still got 3 boxes of the Western-X left and never had any problems with any of them, though.

Richard :munchin

Badger52
07-16-2012, 17:02
Badger52, that would great now the folks at Winchester are saying that they didn't tell him to send the rifles "complete" as fired...scopes, sling, bipods....of course now stuff is gone or missplaced. Guns are at Ruger and they asking Winchester where the "stuff" is at... I sent my brother the pictures I have that show the guns complete. I was also on the call that "Brad" told us to send the guns with all accessories.... So long winded, yes a little help would be great.. CSM-HI note a bunch of other fora have threads out about this type of thing. Some rattling of the cage may be in order, especially since it seems some of the attachments disappeared into someone's "evidence" locker...

I'll bet Richard's Western-X runs just fine. Fine vintage.
:cool:

CSM-H
09-22-2012, 08:59
Hey to all, Winchester bellied up and replaced (fixed) the 10/22 but Ruger has the 10/77 and seems to be holding on to it..anyone have a good contact at Ruger that might be able to find what the hold up is? My brother was told they were going to give him a new rifle..so just send it??? Any help would be appreciated, CSM-H

CSM-H
10-17-2012, 17:39
Hey to all, so after several months, Winchester sent the guns to Ruger. One was "fixed" (10/22) and one was replaced (10/77). They Winchester sent no messages, explination(s) or announcement that this ammo was at fault or is there any announcement to the general public. Watch out for the ammo mentioned in the original message. Stay safe to all out there, CSM-H

The Reaper
10-17-2012, 19:34
CSM:

I bet they would have responded pretty quickly if they got a lawyer letter.

That seem to do the trick pretty quickly in these litigious days.

TR