PDA

View Full Version : DFAS.....

Streck-Fu
05-07-2012, 17:38
Holy cow! They are jacked up.

I've been retired since Aug '11 and just received a letter that I owe $230 for travel from 2009. This is my first notice of the debt. I filled the travel claim within a couple days of returning from that class and heard nothing.

The crappy part is that this is the second time this has happened. In 2010, I received a notice of debt from 2006. I know this has happened to more than a few people my old unit before I left.

It's damned frustrating that it takes them years to process this crap. I have half a mind to tell them to get bent.

Snaquebite
05-07-2012, 18:15
I was in a "black" unit for quite a few years...8 years after I left I recieved a notice that I owed over $12K in over payment of travel expenses. Since we were not allowed to keep copies of our travel claims, I asked them to forward me a copy of the trips that were over paid with explanation. They responded with copies ALL BLACKED OUT...Location, dates etc.. Nothing but expenses were left....Reasons listed were ...you had a rental car and you claimed a taxi...you claimed two different hotels at the same time etc...Found out that others were sent the same kind of notices...We organized, fought it and won...

Only because of the clasification of the claims...Good luck.

BTW...There is no statute of limitations for DFAS...

Streck-Fu
05-07-2012, 18:23
That's effin ridiculous. Like the IRS, they will spend $10k to collect $100.

I imagine that while fighting this, if it drags on, they will just take it out of my taxes next year as a federal debt without full due process. Guilty until proven innocent.

The Reaper
05-07-2012, 18:38
Holy cow! They are jacked up.

I've been retired since Aug '11 and just received a letter that I owe $230 for travel from 2009. This is my first notice of the debt. I filled the travel claim within a couple days of returning from that class and heard nothing.

The crappy part is that this is the second time this has happened. In 2010, I received a notice of debt from 2006. I know this has happened to more than a few people my old unit before I left.

It's damned frustrating that it takes them years to process this crap. I have half a mind to tell them to get bent.

Go see your local IG.

Request assistance with a remission from debt request.

Three years and after retirement is ridiculous.

TR

Streck-Fu
05-07-2012, 18:46
Go see your local IG.

Request assistance with a remission from debt request.

Three years and after retirement is ridiculous.

TR

I plan to. Just venting some frustration with a multiple repeat occurrence.

afchic
05-07-2012, 19:16
This is the reason why I have kept copies of every travel voucher since I entered the service. DFAS and finance in general sucks.

When I was stationed in Honduras, we still filed paper copy 1352-2. Over ten plus times the girl that processed my vouchers would pay for my hotel room tax but would deny payment of the room itself. I finally got so sick of it I would walk into the Comptrollers office, hand him my voucher and look over his shoulder while he did whatever it is they do to make sure it was done correctly. When word got out I was doing it, and others who were having the same problem wanted the same service he finally fixed the problems with his staff.

1stindoor
05-08-2012, 06:50
Good luck with getting your "debt" resolved. Not that I'm any fan of DFAS in general, but about 17 years ago...during one of their "routine audits" they notified me that they underpaid me for a trip several years earlier, and sent me a check for nearly $1,500!

I too, have all of my vouchers over the last 26 years.

MiTTMedic
05-08-2012, 07:06
Yup. Got called on the carpet one day by the CSM.
"Hey there SPC, why the hell am I getting notified about your debt to the Gvt?"
"Ummm...first I've heard of it, CSM"
"Did you pay your Star card"
"Don't have one, CSM"
Several other questions on the list.

"Let's go to S1 & see what it's about"

CSM "What the hell is this debt"
S1 "When he moved here, he was over the furniture allowance"
CSM "SPC, when did you PCS here?"
Me "4-years ago, CSM. In fact, I start clearing for my next PCS next week. First I've heard of this, CSM".
S1 "Yup, the moving contractors have 3 years to file a claim, then we have 6 more to figure it out & send a bill"
CSM "WHAT? $^^&^&(I($$*)_^%%^#$%%^"
CSM "How much is this debt?"
S1 "$57. SPC, can you pay it, or should we break it up into 12 payments?"
CSM "YOU GODDAM RIGHT HE'S BREAKING IT UP INTO 12 PAYMENTS. Your asses can play stupid, so can I"

Gotta love it!"