PDA

View Full Version : ASU jacket same as Dress Blue?

RichL025
04-28-2012, 19:41
OK, I'm really confused here....

Can anyone tell me if the new ASU "blue" jacket is the same as the old Dress Blue jacket? I have bought another pair of trousers (with belt loops in place of suspenders) but I thought the jacket was the same, am I mistaken? Do I need to fork out for a new jacket as well?

Help me out, NCOs!

Sarski
04-28-2012, 21:30
Permanent military creases? I always found a certain solace and pride in the discipline of ironing my own.

MTN Medic
04-28-2012, 21:49
The jacket is indeed different, but any sewshop near a post will be able to alter it within regs very cheaply. There is a slightly different cut to it and obviously some of the accoutrements are different and need to be removed/sewed on. I did this last year and it wasn't very pricy FWIW.

scooter
04-28-2012, 21:50
OK, I'm really confused here....

Can anyone tell me if the new ASU "blue" jacket is the same as the old Dress Blue jacket? I have bought another pair of trousers (with belt loops in place of suspenders) but I thought the jacket was the same, am I mistaken? Do I need to fork out for a new jacket as well?

Help me out, NCOs!

It is essentially the same....with differences. Are you an officer or NCO? NCO's add your service stripes and overseas bars to the old jacket, after taking off the large slanted stripes for years served. The new ones may have a slightly different material or cut, but it is the same jacket more or less. I modified mine as stated above and its indistinguishable from the ASUs.

Different flair gets added too, but many of the Blues rules apply. Check Google. There are some .mil sites that detail the rules.

MTN Medic
04-28-2012, 21:51
...also, the fabric is indeed different, but even in side-by-side comparison, you cannot tell. I just performed two funerals and a teamate's wedding and we argued about it until we saw they looked identical after re-tailoring.