PDA

View Full Version : Best blade.....

swatsurgeon
04-27-2012, 22:35
The ultimate question is what is the best blade and the answer is always the one you have with you!
We were running wih our dogs and were attacked by 2 pit bulls. They went after our dogs and then went for us. Before today I always carried a pistol with me when running as well as a Spyderco native in my waistband. For whatever reason I decided not to bring my gun but took the knife today. Once attacked and seeing they meant to harm us, I stabbed both dogs in the neck and chest. One I got in the jugular and carotid, he finally backed up and as I stabbed the other , I got bitten on the hand but got him again and he backed away. They finally ran away , I called 911 and reported it. The police followed the blood trail around the block to a house, found one dead and the other died while they were there.
Moral of the story, always be able to defend yourself. Picture will be attached, thanks Sal!

Roguish Lawyer
04-28-2012, 07:42
If POTUS were here, he'd be scolding you for wasting good meat . . .

CPTAUSRET
04-28-2012, 08:55
Doc:

Hand OK, dogs OK?

Peregrino
04-28-2012, 10:09
To repeat - "Hand OK?" A surgeon sticking his hand in a meatgrinder. :rolleyes: Bet next time you won't leave the gun behind .

swatsurgeon
04-28-2012, 10:26
Hand is fair, 1/2 inch laceration and one puncture but big bruise from the bite force. One dog got bitten twice but seems okay the other was able to defend herself well. My girlfriend was kicking the one attacking my bigger dog so I guess it was enough to keep it off of my dog until I could deal with it.
And yes the pistol will now always be mandatory running gear. It was funny one of the cops thought I was kidding when I said I usually run with my gun, I showed him my rig and he's ordering one

adal
04-28-2012, 10:32
Need a medic to drive down and sew you up? :)

Dusty
04-28-2012, 10:34
Good job. :lifter

Eagle5US
04-28-2012, 10:38
Holy SMOKES:eek:

Dude-
WELL DONE!!!

Glad you and your "family" are OK -

DO watch that dog bite...you may remember my experience when I was bitten by the neighbors dog in 2010...
I kept repeating to myself that I was fine, until I was at work in the ER and one of my colleagues took me off the floor and admitted me to the hospital for sepsis and I had to have the puss drained out of my wrist by Ortho.

Providers are THE WORST PATIENTS...ensure you allow someone ELSE to monitor our recovery.

Again - well done.:lifter

Ambush Master
04-28-2012, 10:59
I'd say Well Done, except for the fact that you did not have your "Ventriloquist Watchdog" with you!!!

Later
Martin

Red Flag 1
04-28-2012, 11:14
One hell of a run!! Hope the hand does not become an issue for you, we both know the cost this can exact. Glad to hear no other injuries happened. Any actions against the owner in the works?

RF 1

swatsurgeon
04-28-2012, 12:34
Owners got cited for leash law violation And endangerment to society or something like that. I have the option of pressing charges for 4 weeks or so and figured if either me or my dog needed medical attention I would do that. Started antibiotics immediately and have been watching it closely. I'm on PTO and headed to a cruise tomorrow so hopefully my hand will behave. My neighbor who is watching my dogs is keeping an eye on my little guys bite wounds as well. No rabies thankfully but the county is checking the dead ones Anyway

SF-TX
04-28-2012, 15:34
It was funny one of the cops thought I was kidding when I said I usually run with my gun, I showed him my rig and he's ordering one

What rig do you use for running?

Dusty
04-28-2012, 15:46

Now? M-79 with beehive rounds. :D

greenberetTFS
04-28-2012, 15:53

Same question?.........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Team Sergeant
04-28-2012, 16:06
Well done Doc.;)

(If you need anything let me know.)

wook
04-28-2012, 17:05
Hand is fair, 1/2 inch laceration and one puncture but big bruise from the bite force.

Glad the injuries weren't worse. You should send the owners the medical bill for the sutures!

Wook

swatsurgeon
04-28-2012, 17:10
The rig is from pistol wear.com
Usually have an hk 9compact in it. Real easy to run with or deploy from

Gold Eagle
04-28-2012, 17:34
Glad to hear you and 'family' O.K.

MR2
04-28-2012, 19:47
Providers are THE WORST PATIENTS...ensure you allow someone ELSE to monitor our recovery.

Yup!

greenberetTFS
04-29-2012, 08:57

Barbarian
04-29-2012, 17:17
Glad you and family are OK, Sir.

mcarey
04-30-2012, 07:23
Glad you are ok - hope the the bite was not to extensive!

This is a prime example of dog owners that should be civil and criminally liable.

Gypsy
05-01-2012, 18:46
Hope you're enjoying your cruise and that all is well with you and your pups.

sal
05-15-2012, 21:14
Hi Doc,

Thanx much for sharing your story. Glad you guys are ok. Also glad our knife worked to help get you out of trouble, always the best news for us to hear.

sal

Dusty
05-15-2012, 21:20
I have an even greater affection for my Native, now. :cool:

swatsurgeon
05-17-2012, 13:08
now I just need a Native with a 4 inch blade, remains lightweight and thin......anyone?????????? Sal??

Any makers want a project??????? Hello out there!!!!!!

My Spartan Horkos blade type would make a nice folder!!

ss

Dusty
05-17-2012, 14:33
now I just need a Native with a 4 inch blade, remains lightweight and thin......anyone?????????? Sal??

Any makers want a project??????? Hello out there!!!!!!

My Spartan Horkos blade type would make a nice folder!!

ss

Do you not like the Military blade shape?

swatsurgeon
05-17-2012, 17:15
Do you not like the Military blade shape?

Dusty,
From my limited knowledge of blade shapes/designs, the military shape might take you off of a straight line....I'm looking at mine right now and the tip is not centered on the center point of the back end of the blade like the native is. I theorize that an upswept blade may not take a straight path in line with my thrust, yes the majority? of the blade will but not the entire width of the blade....I think more of a spear point with equal geometry (on both sides) would create the straightest wound cavity......
I could be way off with this theory but after taking care of hundreds (a thousand??) of stab wounds and getting a description or seeing the blade used (sometimes still in the patient), I think I'm correct?????

Blade makers want to chime in on this theory........

ss

Barbarian
05-18-2012, 07:13
I theorize that an upswept blade may not take a straight path in line with my thrust, yes the majority? of the blade will but not the entire width of the blade....

That was my experience, when experimenting on a deer carcass. (I assume results would be similar with other animals.) I haven't had the opportunity to test a symmetrical spear point blade. With both sides sharpened from the blade's apex to, at least, the point of max width, I'd imagine one could make more precise strikes at anatomic targets. Perhaps one of the masters could help further.

Dusty
05-18-2012, 08:45
Dusty,
From my limited knowledge of blade shapes/designs, the military shape might take you off of a straight line....I'm looking at mine right now and the tip is not centered on the center point of the back end of the blade like the native is. I theorize that an upswept blade may not take a straight path in line with my thrust, yes the majority? of the blade will but not the entire width of the blade....I think more of a spear point with equal geometry (on both sides) would create the straightest wound cavity......
I could be way off with this theory but after taking care of hundreds (a thousand??) of stab wounds and getting a description or seeing the blade used (sometimes still in the patient), I think I'm correct?????

Blade makers want to chime in on this theory........

ss

Makes sense to me.

sal
05-20-2012, 15:34
Hi Doc,

We have a few designs for a larger Native. The one we're working on right now is more of a heavier duty piece slated for a high flat grind rather than a center grind like the Native. Designed more for the soldier.

There are different schools of thought on the penetration of a blade. The dagger grind or center grind will be easier to go here you point it and the grind line goes to the tip for additional strength.

In reality, if the edge is sharp, the spine will push the edge to open the wound anyway. Michael Janich prefers a warncliff as the spine is sloped so the blade widens gradually and more easily drives the edge to open the wound.

Our Caly 3.5 is a leaf / spear-point pattern which has been around for about 40,000 years and even with a full flat grind, easily penetrates. One was used this year to drive off a mountain line and save a 6 year old.

The Shivworks "P'Kal" is a mild hawkbill, but held in "Reverse-grip-edge-in" is a devastating penetrator.

IMO, Sharp and pointy is most important.

sal

Dusty
05-20-2012, 16:02
Hi Doc,

We have a few designs for a larger Native. The one we're working on right now is more of a heavier duty piece slated for a high flat grind rather than a center grind like the Native. Designed more for the soldier.

sal

You can count on me to be among your first customers for the new design; I've bought 5 Spyderco knives, and have found them all to be at the absolute top with regard to quality, design and function.

I use a wharncliffe (?) Kershaw "Needs Work" for building projects and general cutting, but the Native is clipped to my right front pants pocket whenever I'm wearing pants. It replaced a couple Police models I used to carry.

Spyderco has an outstanding product, and the support is unparalleled, IMO.

swatsurgeon
05-20-2012, 20:59
Sal,
Thank you for the information And education. I also own 9-10 spydercos and some because of Kristi, she makes them irresistible !!!!!
The broad base and excellent penetrators with STRONG tips are definitely on the wish list and your description of a soldiers knife definitely peaked my interest...... You have my full attention😄. I will be on the lookout, or maybe we get an early preview here???? If you need T&E, I gladly offer my unbiased services to you
Syd

Dusty
05-20-2012, 21:05
Sal,
Thank you for the information And education. I also own 9-10 spydercos and some because of Kristi, she makes them irresistible !!!!!
The broad base and excellent penetrators with STRONG tips are definitely on the wish list and your description of a soldiers knife definitely peaked my interest...... You have my full attention��. I will be on the lookout, or maybe we get an early preview here???? If you need T&E, I gladly offer my unbiased services to you
Syd

Doc, think you could come up with a pitbull sticker design? :D
Built like a Native, only bigger and longer, but not enough to impede running.

swatsurgeon
05-20-2012, 22:10
That's the key.....being able to run with it, weight is my issue. That's why I've run with a native for years, slim, lightweight and I like the geometry for what I thought I may have to use it for one day; AND I DID!!
so something very similar but longer