PDA

View Full Version : MOS Change

KP34
04-27-2012, 10:02
QPs,

I am looking to either verify or discredit some information regarding MOS training in SF. I have heard that it is possible, and even common to train into another MOS down the road in your career. For example, an 18B becoming an 18D. Is this possible, or ever done? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

18C4V
04-27-2012, 10:07
Possible yes, common no. It has been done in the past for both AD and NG. It's all about timing and being in the right place at the right time.

x SF med
04-27-2012, 11:17
I did it back in the stone ages... 18B to 18D- it was not an easy transition, no matter how smart you were, we actually had 25 guys tasked for reclass due to 18B being overstrength and a huge need for medics... and graduated 15 - but it is uncommon now. We did not go through with the non SF qual'd guys, we had our own special class, and a couple of my compatriots are on here as well.

Our 300-F-1 instructor is now the SOCOM Surgeon... he was an SF Medic prior to becoming a doctor.

Don't expecta reclass to happen.

The Reaper
04-27-2012, 15:58
Why?

A normal career progression for an 18 would be from the primary MOS, to 18F, to 18Z, unless you went the 180A route.

TR

stfesta
04-27-2012, 20:29
Very possible, I went from an 18B to an 18D. I don't know about the right place and the right time or the timing aspect of it, I put in a 4187 and it got approved.
sf

Richard
04-27-2012, 20:36
The opportunity to attempt an MOS change from an overage (weapons, engineer) to a critical shortage MOS (e.g, commo, medic) was fairly common in my time - I would assume the same opportunity exists today if it's viewed as being "For The Good Of The Service"...

Richard :munchin

KP34
04-28-2012, 18:23
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Reaper- I have been studying up on the training of each MOS trying to figure out which I'll put down as preference when the time arrives, and I've been split down the middle between 18B and 18D. If it was common to be able to train into another MOS down the road, I would put down 18B as my first choice. This would shorten Q by almost a year and I would be able to do the Bravo training initially. I would then be able to go Med Sergeant down the road, after I'd had some time and experience with an ODA.

stfesta- Any idea if the success with the transfer was due to a shortage of Med Sergeants, or if it's common to get the transfer approved? Just knowing that there is an established procedure to request a transfer is good news.

x SF med- Did your instructor happen to be COL Benson?

Again, thanks to everyone for the insight.

Dusty
04-28-2012, 19:11
Not a tough choice. If your GT is over 60, go 18D.