PDA

View Full Version : Black Bird Down

Dusty
04-25-2012, 12:00
I called a gobbler (it was actually two) up, and it went uphill in the brush and came around behind this cedar bush I was hiding in front of. It just stayed there, not 10 feet behind me. I had the slate on the ground between my legs, and I would kee-kee every few minutes and get an answering gobble. This went on for about 20 minutes, but it felt like all day.

Finally, I had to piss. Period. So I said "whatever" and rolled over to my feet to look around the bush, and they were flying! I thought they only flew into and out of the roost.

I shot the biggest one, and after it was all over, I was knee deep in turkey feathers. They looked like grenade pins.

I soaked that bastard in buttermilk for hours and it still tasted like a jungle boot. :D

Buffalobob
04-25-2012, 12:33
I went this morning had three gobblers on different ridges and one flew in and landed in a tall pine tree behind me and when I finally turned around he flew back out and got away.

I'm not even going to bother to ask whether slugs are legal! :D

Barbarian
04-25-2012, 12:38
quote removed

What!?! How big do turkey get down there?

Dusty
04-25-2012, 13:30
I went this morning had three gobblers on different ridges and one flew in and landed in a tall pine tree behind me and when I finally turned around he flew back out and got away.

I'm not even going to bother to ask whether slugs are legal! :D

I edited the "slug" part out, because, uh, I, uh...used 4 shot. Yeah, that's it!

Dusty
04-25-2012, 13:31
What!?! How big do turkey get down there?

This one had an 11-inch beard and spurs over an inch.

Rob_Frey
04-25-2012, 13:48
Turkeys will fly to get over water and other obstacles, or when frightened during the day, but not always. I and a friend called one for over an hour once, it turned out it wouldn't cross a little trickle of a creek between us. :rolleyes:

Barbarian
04-25-2012, 13:54
This one had an 11-inch beard and spurs over an inch.

An old man o' the woods, huh? That explains the taste.

Nice one.:lifter

Dusty
04-25-2012, 13:55
Turkeys will fly to get over water and other obstacles, or when frightened during the day, but not always. I and a friend called one for over an hour once, it turned out it wouldn't cross a little trickle of a creek between us. :rolleyes:

I've always wondered why sometimes I'll call them to, like, the other side of a steep draw or even a head of brush and they'll just stop. They continue to answer the call, but it doesn't matter if you yelp, cluck or make cutting sounds, they won't budge. That must be why. Too much work, lol. :D

Got that ol' bastard this morning with a different call. The beard was just shy of 12 inches, but his spurs were shorter than the first one, and he only weighed 19 pounds.

I guess some turkeys like box calls better.

BryanK
04-26-2012, 06:35
Nice bird Dusty :cool: I'm heading out this weekend to hopefully bust a bird. Sunday hunting is in :lifter

Rob_Frey
04-26-2012, 14:51
I've always wondered why sometimes I'll call them to, like, the other side of a steep draw or even a head of brush and they'll just stop. They continue to answer the call, but it doesn't matter if you yelp, cluck or make cutting sounds, they won't budge. That must be why. Too much work, lol. :D

A wire fence will stop them too.