PDA

View Full Version : Bolt locking to the rear question

ODA CDR (RET)
04-23-2012, 13:50
I recently purchased a Rock River Elite Operator 2 AR-15. I took it to the range to zero and afterward did some range fire. After the third 30 round magazine, the bolt would sometimes lock to the rear as if it were an empty magazine (not empty though). This would happen three to four times with the next two 30 round magazines. I used the new RRA magazine and a new Magpul magazine, with the same results. The ammo is Federal 62 gr 5.56. In 30 years of firing M16 and M4's, I have never had this occur. I checked to make sure the bolt gas rings were not lined up and other than that, no mechanical evidence of something wrong. What could be causing this to happen and how can I correct it. Thanks

chance
04-23-2012, 18:19
Do you have anything attached to the bolt release? For example a MAGPUL BAD? If so it maybe holding the bolt release up. Also without a mag in it does the bolt release spring back after you press it down? If not it maybe bouncing up during firing and grabbing the bolt.

ODA CDR (RET)
04-23-2012, 18:44
Nothing attached to the bolt release, and spring is strong. ?????

koz
04-23-2012, 20:40
Sounds like a bolt catch problem. When it locks back, is the catch engaged? It may be the catch wasn't machined (or cast) properly and the round is pushing it up.

Other thoughts - where do you hold the rifle with your weak (left) hand? Could there be any chance that your hand is hitting the catch?

Where did you buy it? If directly from RRA - I'd call as ask for a new bolt catch.

ODA CDR (RET)
04-24-2012, 03:27
I have an email into RRA, since their phone stays busy. I have a feeling it's the bolt catch, I just can't imagine how its activating only sometimes by it self. Nothing is near the button while I'm firing.

35NCO
04-24-2012, 10:15
Hmm. That's an interesting problem. It would not be the spring because the spring uses the tension in the other direction, to hold the bolt catch down. Unless it is somehow inconsistent with tension. As mentioned above it is possible that the catch is too big. With everyone and their brothers making AR parts right now and trading between each other for the cheapest contracts, there is a lot of garbage about.

Another issue could be the lower being out of spec. From experience, I have a rock river lower that the slot for the catch is very narrow. I had to shave the shelf of the catch to make it fit. That lower is pretty old, but who knows, could still be happening there. When you break the action, is the catch sitting flat on the lower? Is it really easy to pull it up? Does it get caught and bind?

It is pretty easy to replace if you have a small long punch and plastic tip hammer, or you could have a local gunsmith do it. It really should not take anymore than 5 minutes.

Interested to hear what it turns out to be. :munchin

ODA CDR (RET)
04-24-2012, 10:24
Using the same green tip ammo (Federal XM855 from Lake City) 62 grain each time. Only happening once or twice per 30 rd mag, and only started when quick firing (multiple double tap). Unless someone traded the Lake City rounds in the can for identical reloads, I don't think its the ammo causing the problem. I'm waiting for Rock River to return my email.

Never fired a brand new M16/M4 or AR, is there some kind of break in period I don't know about?

35NCO
04-24-2012, 10:27
Sorry, I changed my initial response to a different approach.

35NCO
04-24-2012, 10:32
Well any gun has a little break in period to get it running slick. The first bit of wear normally they run better. However, in this case, the bolt catch is a pretty simple operation that would not be that affected by any kind of break in or wear.

If I were you I would just take it out of the lower and give it a good look. I know you bought a product and just want it to work, but sometimes, especially with AR's you have to put some love into them to get them running smoothly. If that catch is binding, just take it out and sand the edges that go in the lower with some fine sand paper. Then put it back in and see if it works better and moves more smoothly. Sometimes it takes some trial and error.

CloseDanger
04-24-2012, 11:51
Also Buffer spring, and old magazines - Old mag springs may cause jam. Check for compression leak too?

ODA CDR (RET)
04-24-2012, 12:24
Close Danger, interesting, how do I check for compression leaking?

35NCO
04-24-2012, 14:23
Also Buffer spring, and old magazines - Old mag springs may cause jam. Check for compression leak too?

Compression leak? Are you implying that the DI gas system is leaking somewhere, which is causing the bolt to catch?

I think if that was going on there would be short stroking.

I agree with the buffer and buffer spring as well.

+1 on trying different magazines.

ODA CDR (RET)
04-27-2012, 18:31
RRA, Suggests that the bolt catch spring is sticking, allowing the bolt catch to bounce up and down. I lubed it up and will test on Monday. Other than sending the whole gun back, that's all I can do. Excellent customer service so far though.

The Reaper
04-27-2012, 19:31
RRA, Suggests that the bolt catch spring is sticking, allowing the bolt catch to bounce up and down. I lubed it up and will test on Monday. Other than sending the whole gun back, that's all I can do. Excellent customer service so far though.

You can drift the pin out and check the bolt hold open and spring, but if you mess up and knock one of the ears off, you will need a new lower receiver.

I wonder if RRA test fired it, and if so, how they let it out like that?

TR

ODA CDR (RET)
04-28-2012, 04:52
TR, They test fired it because it was dirty when I got it. (They advertise on their site they do that). They also advertise that they clean it before it goes out. I didn't start to have a problem with it till the third 30 rd mag anyway.

I'm going out on Monday to see how it works before I start gutting it. I already had to turn the half quad rail system 180 degrees so I could get the full rail on the bottom.

Thanks for the input all.

ODA CDR (RET)
04-28-2012, 12:25
Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2, personalized.

Rail Covers
200 Lumen Tac-Light
AFG2
ASAP Rear Sling Swivel
EO Tech 551

45K40
07-18-2012, 08:56
This is a necropost, but worth passing on. My brother and I had the same issue with our sequentially serial numbered RR lowers (purchased the lowers only). We both had different uppers with USGI bolt and carriers.Using a depth micrometer showed that the depth of the catch/spring hole was too shallow. Rather than drill it further and modify the brand new lowers, we just took a tad off the bolt catch with a grinder (to allow it to go deeper and hold the bolt properly) and the problem went away,

45K40

33army
05-03-2013, 19:04
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead to ask a question and save myself from starting a new thread. So the question. What is the general opinion of RRA platforms? Any major issues? I'm considering purchasing one and just wanted a more experienced opinion.

Team Sergeant
05-04-2013, 07:12
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead to ask a question and save myself from starting a new thread. So the question. What is the general opinion of RRA platforms? Any major issues? I'm considering purchasing one and just wanted a more experienced opinion.

I have a few and have never had an issue. I think I need a few more......:munchin

frostfire
05-05-2013, 16:31

I can only speak for the National match service rifle.
I shot several for 2 years for NRA High Power matches. Never an issue even with variety of ammo. Had shot several sub MOA 1 ragged hole with 9 to 11 rounds using 77gr MK262. The only malfunction I ever got was shooter induced when my glove covered the ejection port and the case got stuck by the gas tube. Great two stage trigger as well, although now with Geiselle, NRA gold and other awesomazing triggers, the RRA may be a lil behind.

35NCO
05-05-2013, 20:25
To add another way this malfunction can occur. I recently had a customer gun where they complained the bolt did not lock to the rear. I noticed the bolt did not go back far enough to engage the lock. The reason why the bolt could not engage the lock at being pulled full rear is because this carbine had a rifle length buffer spring installed.

I switched it out to a proper carbine length spring and it worked fine again. So when buying these AR's that folks are building left and right, keep an eye out for what parts are in them. The other solution to this spring scenario is that you can cut about 2 inches of coil from a rifle spring to make a carbine spring.

As for RRA, never had any issues with them. Its really hard to say with AR's what is good, great and amazing. Its just like 1911's or anything other gun, you just get what you pay for. Some names are just names and some brands are better than others. There really is not any "deals" that are as good as they claim to be for the price. However, I would have to mention that I bought a few Palmetto uppers awhile ago that I was really surprised at how good they were. So you never know.

I have also been told by various reps that Aero Precision is the same maker of Spikes, Noveske, and Armalite. With all these contracts right now, many of these makers are exactly the same in CNC but better in assembly QC.

You cant really go wrong taking your time to learn to build your own quality AR.

The_Mentalist
06-24-2013, 08:18
35NCO is correct. A lot of manufacturers are scrambling to get product out and it is causing QC to suffer. Make sure you properly clean and thoroughly lube any AR. I will even lube the pivot points on the bolt catch. I DO NOT recommend cutting any spring. Buy the correct spring if the one you have is incorrect. Also, make sure the correct spring is behind the bolt catch. In all the rushing, they may have accidentally installed a disconnector spring instead which is much lighter and could cause the original issue.

FILO
06-24-2013, 11:10

I have the RRA Elite Operator 2 LAR 15. No problems to report, runs great and as the TS said, I need more. As noted by others, their customer service is usually pretty good albeit they've been overwhelmed since November.