PDA

View Full Version : Attribution?

SP5IC
04-23-2012, 13:18
"You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know."

Any idea who gets credit for this statement?

Mark A.

Richard
04-23-2012, 13:56
I'm not sure anyone knows, but I've seen it on plaques, posters, scribbled on walls, etc, from the time I entered the Army in 1970. I think it was one of those generic sort of sayings which came out of the RVN War, and the closest quote I've ever found with an attribution is this one by John Stuart Mill:

“Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.”

Richard :munchin

head
04-23-2012, 13:57
The quote has changed a little since the original by John Stuart Mill, the British philosopher form the 1800's... "Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."
I believe Roosevelt, Patton, and "unknown soldiers" have been attributed to versions of this.

head
04-23-2012, 13:59
I'm not sure anyone knows, but I've seen it on plaques, posters, scribbled on walls, etc, from the time I entered the Army in 1970. I think it was one of those generic sort of sayings which came out of the RVN War, and the closest quote I've ever found with an attribution is this one by John Stuart Mill:

“Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.”

Richard :munchin

Pretty quick for an old guy ;)

Dozer523
04-25-2012, 13:35
according to "Gordo" on a site with really bizarre quotes -- folowing a direct search in google (6 returns).
The quote was by HERSHEL W. WILLIAMS, USMC WWII MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIEANT

Who knows? Slow day here.:p