PDA

View Full Version : US Military Static Line Accidents

scooter
04-15-2012, 22:35
I'm helping to run a SOF Jumpmaster Course in May and I'm looking for videos of Static Line Jump accidents, fatalities, or mishaps.... everything from towed jumpers to total malfunctions.

I've perused all of the usual forums and have scoured YouTube clean, but can't find a lot. Contacting Benning isn't an option, apparently.

Does anyone here have, or know the location of, any videos? I would appreciate it if someone could hook a brother up. Thanks guys.

TF Kilo
04-16-2012, 03:26
Apparently an exerpt from a DOD safety video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHi9OlmWjs

British ramp jump hangup:
Static line entrapped by equipment, following towed jumper. Subsequent british style release and ending close video showing static line entrapped in lowering line snaphook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSpNmjU84c

Entanglement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYMsJvaDXNo&feature=related

DZSO responsibility failure, even demo jumps need to racetrack or get called for wind... using truck AC for wind calls is a douche move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEvPlg1-lM&feature=related

Bad exits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCx8y9nIw5Q&feature=related

Those are the ones I picked up right off the bat. If you need/want them as downloaded mp4 files I can do that (means they can be used in a presentation easier) if you can't.

Hope this helps in some manner.

scooter
04-16-2012, 05:19
Those are actually the entirety of what I could find online before posting this thread..... at least for static line. There are two additional videos of guys burning in, but are fairly low quality.

The DoD safety video and "Bad Exits" contain the same footage, mostly guys biffing it on the way out the door. Not really good lessons to pound in students heads.

The towed Brit (gets cut free) and the wind screw up are good, need anything else that highlights the cost of JM or jumper error that ends badly. In JM school I remember a few choice ones, such as a safety getting knocked off the ramp and a JM door check fall out, just having trouble finding those or more beyond the ones already listed.

If anyone knows of a site, POC, or persons that may have additional ones that would be super helpful.

bravo22b
04-16-2012, 05:34
Those are actually the entirety of what I could find online before posting this thread..... at least for static line. There are two additional videos of guys burning in, but are fairly low quality.

The DoD safety video and "Bad Exits" contain the same footage, mostly guys biffing it on the way out the door. Not really good lessons to pound in students heads.

The towed Brit (gets cut free) and the wind screw up are good, need anything else that highlights the cost of JM or jumper error that ends badly. In JM school I remember a few choice ones, such as a safety getting knocked off the ramp and a JM door check fall out, just having trouble finding those or more beyond the ones already listed.

If anyone knows of a site, POC, or persons that may have additional ones that would be super helpful.

FWIW, I am also interested in this kind of thing. I was a little surprised and disappointed when I went to Benning for SLJM that they really didn't cover accidents and malfunctions at all; it seems to me that knowing the error, the chain of events, and the outcome would make you a much better JM and better able to anticipate problems in the future. I guess that would have taken away from the time spent trying to JMPI jumpers as fast as possible. :rolleyes:

What about the POMPOC course? Seems like they would be a good resource for this.

SF_BHT
04-16-2012, 05:50

Contact someone at the Airborne Test Board at Bragg. They do intentional test and have a lot of footage that can be obtained. I did that for two courses I did back in the day. They used to have one or two 18 slots there also.

Richard
04-16-2012, 06:10
Contact someone at the Airborne Test Board at Bragg.

Yep - check with the ACE Board - they film everything to do with such matters.

I'm surprised the 507th doesn't have anything for the airborne community out there - they used to have a retired CWO Rigger Tech with a copy of about every report, file, and film ever made about anything to do with parachute and rigging opertions. I'll contact a POC there who ran a JM course and refresher for the 173rd recently and ask him if there's anything for off-site JM courses.

Edit - I sent him this message at his .Mil e-mail and will let you know what I hear back. It might be a few days as he's the 'go to' guy for this kinda stuff and stays pretty busy.

Bob,

One of the Groups is running a SL JM Course next month and is looking for any videos of static line jump accidents, fatalities, or mishaps.... everything from towed jumpers to total malfunctions.

They've pulled a few things from YouTube and were also told to check with the ACE Board.

I know the 507th used to have about everything ever written, reported, or filmed on airborne and rigging ops when Gale was the Tech at Bn HQs - do y'all still have such a repository for use by anybody running an off-site JM/JM refresher course? If so, who can they contact?

Richard

Richard
04-16-2012, 07:31
This is the response from my contact in the 507th - explains why some of the stuff remains sensitive nowadays.

Richard,

We have some malfunction video, but they hold them close to the chest. The fatality videos are not allowed to be released anymore. I would imagine that with social media they don't want them to end up on YouTube where families can view them.

The Group should contact our S3 MAJ Lemay at 706-545-1156 he will take care of the RFI or task me to do it, either way I have to get his permission to release anything anyway. They can view the fatal accident reports back to 1973 on the Combat Readiness Center Site.<snip>

Hope this helps. Good luck with your request and the course.

Richard :munchin

miclo18d
04-16-2012, 10:28
Also, check with the Altitude Chamber guys at Langley AFB, VA. I remember when I did my chamber ride we watched a video of rigged malfunctions with actual jumpers. I think it was when they were testing the MIRPS reserve.

All I remember was thinking..."NOT ME BUDDY!!!"

The only vid I have is the one of the female JM that falls out of the A/C on a tailgate. Not a malfunction, but just a "what NOT to do" vid. PM me if you want it.

mark46th
04-16-2012, 16:54
Wish I had the picture of the medic hanging by his ass off the right front skid of a slick at Nong Takoo, Thailand. He was a short little sXXt from Massachussets who didn't push himself out far enough to clear the skid... Good medic, though.

Papa Zero Three
04-16-2012, 18:08
I'm helping to run a SOF Jumpmaster Course in May and I'm looking for videos of Static Line Jump accidents, fatalities, or mishaps.... everything from towed jumpers to total malfunctions.

I've perused all of the usual forums and have scoured YouTube clean, but can't find a lot. Contacting Benning isn't an option, apparently.

Does anyone here have, or know the location of, any videos? I would appreciate it if someone could hook a brother up. Thanks guys.

Try contacting USASOC safety guy Tony Bell, I know he has an excel spread sheet that can tell you every static line and freefall accident by type going back for 5 years. He might also have a lead on videos but IMO, the bad exit video link above is probably the best compilation you will find, even from the test board.

Peregrino
04-16-2012, 18:47
Guys - Contact the Air NCOs at G3 USASFC(A). They will try to help you. The current command policy "discourages" (as in - don't do it) contacting the 507th directly. The Ace Board and Tony Bell at USASFC(A) Safety are both excellent suggestions. Tony's contact info is on the Portal.

Box
04-18-2012, 04:32
I know the guy that processed the MOA with Benning:
If you are talking to Ft Benning simply to secure material for safety awareness training then there is no grief anywhere that I would be aware of. If you call Ft Benning and mention the phrase "Jumpmaster Course" on behalf of your group, or SF Command or USASOC, then the black helicopters might just show up at your team room door...

PM me your e-mail contact info and I'll hook you up.

mojaveman
04-18-2012, 20:22
Wish I had the picture of the medic hanging by his ass off the right front skid of a slick at Nong Takoo, Thailand. He was a short little sXXt from Massachussets who didn't push himself out far enough to clear the skid... Good medic, though.

Wish I had a video of a jump I did at Bragg back in the day when several MC1-1Bs were rigged backwards with the openings to the front. Honest to God, the jumpers were a little freaked out when their chutes opened but they all landed ok. That's one for the record book I'm sure.