PDA

View Full Version : They own the night

Last hard class
04-08-2012, 13:17
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/08/11083361-afghanistan-gets-veto-power-over-nato-night-raids?lite

Great negotiation:
Next thing you know, our troops will have to post a 24 hour notice before they arrive.

LHC

alelks
04-08-2012, 14:32
I particularly like this statement:

Many Afghans, in complaints backed by President Hamid Karzai, say the raids violate their privacy, especially that of women in conservative areas, where support for the ethnic Pashtun-dominated Taliban is strongest.

Like they are so worried about the privacy of any of their citizens, especially the women.

More smoke and mirrors.

Richard
04-09-2012, 06:45
Stay safe, guys.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

U.S. Transfers Control of Night Raids to Afghanistan
NYT, 8 aPR 2012

Accelerating the transition of military responsibility to the Afghan government, the United States agreed Sunday to hand control of special operations missions to Afghan forces, including night raids, relegating American troops to a supporting role and bringing the raids under Afghan judicial authority.

The deal clears the way for the two countries to move ahead with a more comprehensive partnership agreement that will establish the shape of American support to Afghanistan after the 2014 troop withdrawal deadline. And it resolves one of the most contentious issues for President Hamid Karzai, who faced intense domestic political pressure because of night raids’ deep unpopularity here, even as American commanders had insisted they were the linchpin of the military mission in Afghanistan.

As recently as a year ago, American commanders expressed reservations about giving up nearly any measure of control over the raids. Since then, the relationship between the two countries has been reconfigured by a series of diplomatic crises and the American public’s growing fatigue for the war, lending an increasing sense of imminence to the troop withdrawal.

At the same time, the United States has mounted an intense effort to move Afghan special operations forces to the fore, even as questions remain about the overall readiness of Afghan troops.

(Cont'd) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/world/asia/deal-reached-on-controversial-afghan-night-raids.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

rubberneck
04-09-2012, 07:02
IMHO it's time to bring our men and women back home. It's increasingly obvious that the administration has moved on even if we still have people in harms way. No good can come of this.

MtnGoat
04-09-2012, 07:03
Well time to break out the hookah pipes. :munchin

Santo Tomas
04-09-2012, 11:32
the new title should read 'US Stops all night raids'.

PSM
04-09-2012, 11:39
Stay safe, guys.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

U.S. Transfers Control of Night Raids to Afghanistan
NYT, 8 aPR 2012

Accelerating the transition of military responsibility to the Afghan government, the United States agreed Sunday to hand control of special operations missions to Afghan forces, including night raids, relegating American troops to a supporting role and bringing the raids under Afghan judicial authority.

The deal clears the way for the two countries to move ahead with a more comprehensive partnership agreement that will establish the shape of American support to Afghanistan after the 2014 troop withdrawal deadline. And it resolves one of the most contentious issues for President Hamid Karzai, who faced intense domestic political pressure because of night raids’ deep unpopularity here, even as American commanders had insisted they were the linchpin of the military mission in Afghanistan.

As recently as a year ago, American commanders expressed reservations about giving up nearly any measure of control over the raids. Since then, the relationship between the two countries has been reconfigured by a series of diplomatic crises and the American public’s growing fatigue for the war, lending an increasing sense of imminence to the troop withdrawal.

At the same time, the United States has mounted an intense effort to move Afghan special operations forces to the fore, even as questions remain about the overall readiness of Afghan troops.

(Cont'd) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/09/world/asia/deal-reached-on-controversial-afghan-night-raids.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37430 ;)

Pat

greenberetTFS
04-09-2012, 13:31
IMHO it's time to bring our men and women back home. It's increasingly obvious that the administration has moved on even if we still have people in harms way. No good can come of this.

Your right on target,we should just get out ASAP and let them do their own fighting...:mad: F**K them,don't you think we've put up with too much BS as it is.........:mad: I don't want to see another one of our boys die for a cause that isn't there any more...........:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

Iraqgunz
04-09-2012, 13:53
How hard is it for our so-called elected leaders to understand? It's over and this continued fantasy of nation building in this land of uneducated savages is just that- a fantasy.

It's time to go. Pull out the military, bring our equipment and money home and let's put it to use back home. Another American life lost in this shithole is too many.

What makes me sick is when I learn that USAID is going to spending another 280 million US dollars in the near future for various programs in country. It's a waste and it needs to stop.

sf11b_p
04-10-2012, 12:48
Your right on target,we should just get out ASAP and let them do their own fighting...:mad: F**K them,don't you think we've put up with too much BS as it is.........:mad: I don't want to see another one of our boys die for a cause that isn't there any more...........:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

After all, the slow withdrawal from the RVN after the brilliant military genius Walter Cronkite declared the war lost worked out so well.

If there is a real mission then that mission should have better PR.

mark46th
04-11-2012, 15:27
The lessons of Pol Pot may go unheeded. I was a 23 year old buck sergeant in Thailand when the withdrawal from Cambodia was announced. I wrote my parents a letter saying there would be a massacre of 25,000-50,000 civilians if the U.S. left. Looking back, I wish that was all that happened...

Dreadnought
04-19-2012, 11:35
They just fake being asleep at night anyways.

More likely to be nefarious during the day.

Whatever. Continue to excel within the standards, I suppose.