PDA

View Full Version : Egypt Rocket Hits Israel

Dusty
04-05-2012, 08:13
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17620925

A Grad rocket has landed in the southern Israeli city of Eilat, but has caused no damage or injuries, Israeli security officials said.

District police chief Ron Gertner told Israeli radio the rocket had been fired from Egypt's Sinai peninsula.

He said it struck a construction site close to a residential area shortly after midnight (21:00 GMT).

The blast took place as thousands congregated in the resort town for the Jewish holiday of Passover.

Rocket attacks from Egyptian soil are uncommon. Attacks on Eilat and the nearby Jordanian town of Aqaba in 2010 killed one person and injured another four.

Sinai unrest

Eilat Mayor Meir Yitzhak-Halevy told the Jerusalem Post that the city would function as normal despite the attack.

A wave of unrest has hit the restive Sinai peninsula recently.

Israel says militants have become active in the region since former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was overthrown in February 2011.

In August 2011, an armed group crossed the border into Israel from the Sinai peninsula and killed eight Israelis.

Israel blamed Palestinian militants but five Egyptian policemen were killed as Israeli forces pursued the gunmen, sparking a diplomatic row between the two countries.

Dusty
04-05-2012, 18:40
And it starts. I was wondering when this would happen. The Arab summer could turn into Israeli ass kicking spring this year. It could also mean WW III.

Well, you could say we're a lot closer to that possibility now; there may have been a SNAFU in there somewhere on Egypt's side, which may be immaterial to Israel.

Is an eventuality possible in which we're involved to the point that the election is delayed? That's my worry. :D

CSB
04-05-2012, 21:43
What happened to the Multinational Force and Observers?
Remember them, the MFO?
Aren't they keeping an overwatch of the border?

scooter
04-06-2012, 08:08
The ROE probably allows for a stern shout before running away to write a report.

Sigaba
04-11-2012, 13:27
How would a conflict in the ME cause a World War III? I've seen some say this, I've seen others (such as Charles Krauthammer) say that it would likely just be a regional conflict.
Turn your question on its head. Which global war did not start as a regional conflict?

And also, AFAIK, the United States of America has not repudiated the "Carter Doctrine (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=33079&st=&st1=#axzz1rlFxBqdy)."Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.

(Also, if one accepts the premise that GWOT is a global war, one can find its antecedents in the Iran-Iraq War.)

Dusty
04-11-2012, 13:39
(Also, if one accepts the premise that GWOT is a global war, one can find its antecedents in the Iran-Iraq War.)

Or the Crusades.

Sigaba
04-11-2012, 14:27
Or the Crusades.IMO, only if one wants to accept the premise that the Westphalian system is unsustainable. In which case, one risks ceding to the opposition a pivotal historiographical argument if not also a significant geostrategic objective.

My $0.02.