PDA

View Full Version : Cocktails

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 15:59
Name your favorite poison.

Air.177
10-02-2004, 16:11
What's the intended effect? Enjoyable evening, Or Fire For Effect Brain Cell Destruction?

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 16:13
What's the intended effect? Enjoyable evening, Or Fire For Effect Brain Cell Destruction?

What is your typical intended effect? Feel free to name one for each if you need to . . . :munchin

Air.177
10-02-2004, 16:19
What is your typical intended effect? Feel free to name one for each if you need to . . . :munchin

Me?

Innocent Little Me?

You Must Be Joking. Inebriating Poison has Never Passed These Parched lips :rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 23:46
No replies? :rolleyes:

Mine is bourbon on the rocks.

Radar Rider
10-03-2004, 00:52
In a semi-formal or formal social situation, I like to enjoy a vodka martini with a lemon twist. Of course, vodka jello shots are always good, too. :D

szechuan
10-03-2004, 02:05
In a semi-formal or formal social situation, I like to enjoy a vodka martini with a lemon twist. Of course, vodka jello shots are always good, too. :D

Sir, I gather from your profile and location that you are helping to defend this mountanous peninsula. How is your take on the flavored Soju phenomenon? Would you allow that lemon twist in your Soju too or prefer the traditional straight variant? I personally have found the raspberry Soju to be surprisingly tasty with food (or to loosen voices at the Noraebang ;) ).

Radar Rider
10-03-2004, 02:26
I dig most flavored Soju's, but quite frankly I prefer it in straight shots (while eating), or in a cherry/strawberry koolaid type mixture when just drinking it. Yeah, I've done the Soju bowls and kettles, but I find those to be a bit reserved; I actually like the burn from a straight shot, where you have to make that "chhaaa" sound after downing it. :D

Polar Bear
10-03-2004, 08:31
Vodka (Stolichnaya) martini chilled w/ 2 jalapeno stuffed olives or tomolives

Gypsy
10-03-2004, 09:23
Sapphire gin martini with 3 olives. Paddy Irish Whiskey (when someone brings it back from Ireland...they don't sell it here in the States) or Jamesons, on the rocks.

brewmonkey
10-03-2004, 13:50
I don't drink distilled spirits any more. However in my youth I could usually be found with either a glass of Sotch or Tequila. If it was a shooter it was a Prarie Fire (Tequila and Tabasco).

pulque
10-03-2004, 18:38
recently its been sake-vodka martini extra olive. but the one that I will probably always return to for warmth, spicyness, and comfort is a neat shot of whiskey.

Bill Harsey
10-03-2004, 19:39
At SEAL Muster in Ft. Pierce Florida, Bombay Saphire because Dick told me to. In the knife shop for Christmas, Tequila and Eggnog over crushed ice! (Harsey Original) Beer very cold, knifemaker coolant.

Bill Harsey
10-03-2004, 19:41
recently its been sake-vodka martini extra olive. but the one that I will probably always return to for warmth, spicyness, and comfort is a neat shot of whiskey.
That's pretty exotic, never would have thought of that. Interesting.

Doc
10-05-2004, 18:33
Name your favorite poison.

RL,

I'm going to put you on something I'll bet you've never had before and I'll bet you'll love it if you can find it. I've tasted PR Rum and it doesn't even come close.

Flor de Cana Rum is it's name and I drink it on the rocks. It's made in Nicaragua and I can't find it here in the States. I wish I could. If anyone knows how to procure it, post it please.

I'm traditionally a whiskey man. I still have an unopened bottle of Black Label Jack Daniels given to me by The Reaper which I will open one day only on a very special occasion.

Hijack in progress

If we have any more lose lips from Donald Rumsfield, Paul Bremer, or the like, my liquor supply could become nil very soon. I'm sorry but I can't believe I'm hearing the stuff that's being said. I'm a Republican through and through, but these guys ain't helping the cause. End of rant.

Back to topic:

RL

Find a bottle of Flor de Cana Rum and try it. Get back to me and tell me what you think about it.

Doc

ghuinness
10-05-2004, 18:53
At SEAL Muster in Ft. Pierce Florida, Bombay Saphire because Dick told me to. In the knife shop for Christmas, Tequila and Eggnog over crushed ice! (Harsey Original) Beer very cold, knifemaker coolant.

Hijack...

Have you heard anything about the status of the Museum after Frances and Jeanne rolled through? I have been wondering if it is still there..

Hijack over :D

In keeping with the thread: Hawaiian Volcano, Tequila

Roguish Lawyer
10-06-2004, 11:24
RL

Find a bottle of Flor de Cana Rum and try it. Get back to me and tell me what you think about it.

Doc

Will do. Thank you.

http://www.flordecana.com/en/index_ie.asp

http://www.queenannewine.com/fldecaruni.html

http://www.bevmo.com/productlist.asp?area=spirits&N=-5207+184

http://www.internetwines.com/spirits-rumtemplate-nic.html

(I ordered the 12-year; 21-year seems to be unavailable.)

Doc
10-06-2004, 19:09
RL

Thanks for the links.

Doc

Roguish Lawyer
10-06-2004, 19:45
I talked to the guy at Randall's (Internet wine and spirits) about the 21-year old Flor de Cana. He said they are not only out, but there have been serious problems with excessive returns because the bottles are ceramic and the corks have been leaking. So they probably are not going to try to get more.

Given the likely price (21-year-old, limited edition; probably more than $40 a bottle), I wouldn't want the risk of a bad bottle. I'm sure the 12-year will be excellent.

Doc's orders! LOL

Sigi
10-06-2004, 22:07
Johnny Walker Blue - on the rocks.

Doc
10-07-2004, 16:03
I talked to the guy at Randall's (Internet wine and spirits) about the 21-year old Flor de Cana. He said they are not only out, but there have been serious problems with excessive returns because the bottles are ceramic and the corks have been leaking. So they probably are not going to try to get more.

Given the likely price (21-year-old, limited edition; probably more than $40 a bottle), I wouldn't want the risk of a bad bottle. I'm sure the 12-year will be excellent.

Doc's orders! LOL

RL,

The Flor de Cana Rum I drank was aged for 4 years and comes packaged in a glass bottle with a plastic screw top. I still have one 750ml bottle at home.

I have not tried the 21-year-old edition.

I bought a 1.75 litre bottle of the 4-year-old Flor de Cana Rum in C.A. for about $12.00. It too came in a glass bottle and plastic screw top.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Rx: one 750ml bottle, Flor de Cana Rum, aged 4 years.

To: RL

How taken: PRN (as needed)

Doc

Cheers!

Roguish Lawyer
10-07-2004, 16:14
Rx: one 750ml bottle, Flor de Cana Rum, aged 4 years.

To: RL

How taken: PRN (as needed)

Doc

Cheers!

Woo hoo! I'm legal! But are they going to give me trouble at the dispensary if I want the 12-year? :munchin

Doc
10-07-2004, 17:25
RL,

<Theme to Godfather Part II to be played now>

Tell them I sent you. I made them an offer they can not refuse.

LMAO!

Doc

Roguish Lawyer
10-07-2004, 18:24
RL,

<Theme to Godfather Part II to be played now>

Tell them I sent you. I made them an offer they can not refuse.

LMAO!

Doc

OK, I'm going back to my old avatar. LOL

Doc
10-08-2004, 00:14
RL,

I always liked that picture of you and The Reaper together. :)

Guy
10-08-2004, 08:47
At SEAL Muster in Ft. Pierce Florida, Bombay Saphire because Dick told me to.

Drinking that Bombay Saphire with Dick. SOB pulls a knife out on me in a bar. :D

jw74
08-25-2010, 10:21
Resurrected this thread to avoid a new one. In my current incarnation as a bartender, I ran across this cocktail (it was new to me):

Sneaky Pete
1 oz Kahlua
1 oz rye whiskey
4 oz milk
Pour Kahlua into an old fashioned glass w/ ice
add milk, rye whiskey

YMMV

DJ Urbanovsky
08-25-2010, 11:30
Beer: Hopluia. Made right here in NE.

Single malt scotch and water. Nothing younger than 12. No blends. And it has to actually come from Scotland.

And the bloody mary. With a small bowl of olives.

greenberetTFS
08-25-2010, 11:50
My grand-daughter told me about Yager and Red Bull,sounds awful to me!...........:rolleyes::eek::p

Big Teddy :munchin

PedOncoDoc
08-25-2010, 12:15
My grand-daughter told me about Yager and Red Bull,sounds awful to me!

I'm with you on that one, but take that same Red Bull and mix it with vodka and you're GTG. :D

I have fond memories of mixing gin with Schweppes bitter lemon while fishing the fjords of Norway during mackeral season. My brother and I visited some friends from southern Germany and we drove up from Lake Constance area through Denmark and Sweden to Norway. We smuggled roughly $100 worth of booze we bought in Germany - which would have been closer to $400 or more if we had bought it in Norway - across the border. When approaching the Norwegian border we slowed down and let a car pass us - the car that passed us ended up getting a random stop and search and we went through Scott-free. We were a big hit with the others at the campgrounds as we were happy to share our booze in exchange for a good story or drinking song.

Great times....

lonewolf726
09-19-2010, 18:14
(I ordered the 12-year; 21-year seems to be unavailable.)

RL,
If you have not done so already, try the Flor de Cana 7-year Grand Reserve. It is, in my honest opinion, much better than the 12-year.

Sarski
02-01-2011, 01:36
Anything with rum and/or a little paper umbrella sticking out of the glass. Can't wait to try the flor de cana, found a place nearby that sells it. Thanks for the tip, Doc and lonewolf726.

wet dog
07-01-2011, 19:46
I recently attended a birthday party of a dear friend. While there, I was offered a drink called "Ouzo", having had some while in Spain many years ago I opted to try some again, with a "hell ya, pour it on!"

The store brand is Ouzo, by Metaxa. It has anise, mastic and badiane. I'm tasting fennel or liquorice, right? What is giving the strong after taste? What recipes does anyone have?

I'm wanting to make a "homemade" brew, smoother than the item listed. A good Ouzo is hard to find, thinking I might do better doing it myself.

When a second person asked for some Ouzo, I said, "get your own bottle, this one is mine."

mojaveman
07-01-2011, 20:35
I recently attended a birthday party of a dear friend. While there, I was offered a drink called "Ouzo", having had some while in Spain many years ago I opted to try some again, with a "hell ya, pour it on!"

The store brand is Ouzo, by Metaxa. It has anise, mastic and badiane. I'm tasting fennel or liquorice, right? What is giving the strong after taste? What recipes does anyone have?

I'm wanting to make a "homemade" brew, smoother than the item listed. A good Ouzo is hard to find, thinking I might do better doing it myself.

When a second person asked for some Ouzo, I said, "get your own bottle, this one is mine."

Ouzo is much more popular in Europe than here. It does give one a strange drunk when consumed in excess.

Lets see; I basically quit drinking 13 years ago but back in the day my favorite was a nice Bourbon. Couldn't afford the expensive stuff so stuck with Wild Turkey, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek.

When I was really lacking for money I'd drink Old Crow. :D

Never any Tequilla though, that sh#t makes you crazy. :p

echoes
07-01-2011, 21:52

WD,
Have no idea what ouzo is...but if you had it...it must be good!:)

My favorite cocktail is quite simple to make:

A nice crystal tumbler filled with cubed ice
Add Kettle-One Vodka
Top with Schwepps Tonic
Add and squeeze 1/2 lime

mix.

Very, very good, IMHO.

Holly

wet dog
07-01-2011, 21:57
WD,
Have no idea what ouzo is...but if you had it...it must be good!:)

My favorite cocktail is quite simple to make:

A nice crystal tumbler filled with cubed ice
Add Kettle-One Vodka
Top with Schwepps Tonic
Add and squeeze 1/2 lime

mix.

Very, very good, IMHO.

Holly

Have you ever heard of a "Green Beret Martini"?
In short, it is your favorite Vodka served chilled in a canteen cup.

Splash enough Tabasco, (three good shakes), that, when you stir, you should not change the color. What you will have is a subtle taste of refinement, (Vodka), but in the back of your throat, a reminder that the world is a danger place.:eek::D

Remain safe,....

love ya little sister.

echoes
07-02-2011, 18:30
Have you ever heard of a "Green Beret Martini"?
In short, it is your favorite Vodka served chilled in a canteen cup.

Splash enough Tabasco, (three good shakes), that, when you stir, you should not change the color. What you will have is a subtle taste of refinement, (Vodka), but in the back of your throat, a reminder that the world is a danger place.:eek::D

Remain safe,....

love ya little sister.

:o Want to try one...now! Yum!

WD,

Here is what I found on Ouzo:

Ouzo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The classic Greek drink Ouzo is made from a precise combination of pressed grapes and herbs and berries including aniseed, licorice, mint, wintergreen, fennel and hazelnut.

Ouzo is usually served as an aperitif, but is also used in some mixed drinks and cocktails.

When mixing Ouzo with water it will turn whitish and opaque. The reason is that the anise oil dissolves and becomes invisible when mixed with a conventional alcohol content, but as soon as the alcohol content is reduced, the essential oils transform into white crystals, which you cannot see through."

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/358

Also, some cocktails are here:

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/by_ingredient/o/ouzo-82.html

Aneurysm #1 (Shooter)
Black Haus, Ouzo

Ball Banger (Cocktail)
Orange Juice, Ouzo

Black Cat #1 (Shooter)
Brandy, Kahlua, Ouzo

Blurricane (Shooter)
Blue Curacao, Goldschlager, Jagermeister, Ouzo, Rumple Minze, Wild Turkey 80 Proof Bourbon

Breastmilk (Cocktail)
Lemonade, Ouzo

Camel Piss (Cocktail)
Bacardi Dark Rum, Beer, Mountain Dew, Ouzo, Tequila

Dragon Breath (Cocktail)
Jagermeister, Ouzo, Vodka

Eh Bomb (Shooter)
Creme de Menthe, Irish Cream, Ouzo, Tequila

And many more...

Enjoy mi amigo!

Holly

wandering_idiot
07-03-2011, 05:34
Back home I prefer Ron Abuelo and coke- it's similar to Capt. Morgan, but not as sweet, IMO. You can get it in Miami too.

When I was visiting my brother in Poland, he turned me on to Żubrówka and apple juice. Żubrówka, they say, is distilled with Bison Grass, which is supposedly only grown in Poland. They call it Tatanka (like in Dances with Wolves) and tastes like Dutch Apple Pie. Every time I go there, I make sure to come home with a bottle or three.

The dangerous part is you can pour a fairly stiff drink and not taste the alcohol.

It works with regular vodka too.:D

33army
05-11-2013, 17:33
I didnt want to be sniped for starting a new thread so here we go.

I was just introduced to a new drink.

Smoky Martini

2 1/2 oz Gin (Dry as possible)
Splash of very smoky scotch
Garnish with lemon twist

add liquids to glass with ice, stir 30 seconds, strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

Note: My first was 3 oz gin, 1 oz scotch with lemon twist. In my opinion better than the recipe.

Divemaster
05-12-2013, 01:50
Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I feel free to post.

The one saving grace from my 1st marriage was a great drink recipe. It is so good that just in case I lose my mind and decide to start a bar it will be in the tropics, oh Ambergis Caye, and this will be the signature drink. Rum based and tropical from ingredients I like. Keeping it to myself for now. I still have it a few times a year.

Hey, I just might sell myself into slavery and open a bar. That's why the recipe is still classified. Sorry, have heard more sob stories and tales of success in the bar business.

PedOncoDoc
05-12-2013, 05:58
Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I feel free to post.

The one saving grace from my 1st marriage was a great drink recipe. It is so good that just in case I lose my mind and decide to start a bar it will be in the tropics, oh Ambergis Caye, and this will be the signature drink. Rum based and tropical from ingredients I like. Keeping it to myself for now. I still have it a few times a year.

Hey, I just might sell myself into slavery and open a bar. That's why the recipe is still classified. Sorry, have heard more sob stories and tales of success in the bar business.

You're such a tease! :mad:

Divemaster
05-12-2013, 06:15
You're such a tease! :mad:

but without the body to pull it off.

The Reaper
05-12-2013, 11:45
Three cubes of ice and two fingers of fine bourbon whiskey.

TR

SF_BHT
05-12-2013, 12:13
Sitting here with a glass of Woodfords Reserve Double Oaked with 3 cubes of ice. It is Soooooo Good as I look out over the Bay.......

Stobey
05-12-2013, 12:15
I don't know what rum was used to make me what was known as a "Dark and Stormy" in Bermuda back in 1984; but it was sooo smooothhh you could drink it straight and enjoy it.

There is a Flor de Cana website which says that it is available in the U.S.; but I don't know WHERE in the U.S.

http://flordecana.com/

Good luck!

p.s.: a "Dark and Stormy" was made w/rum and ginger beer. Very nice!

My preference used to be Smirnoff Silver Label vodka; but when I got up to a bottle a day - quart bottle, that is - and wound up in the hospital, the good Lord took that particular monkey off my back. (I guess he still wanted my sorry butt around for awhile.) I do drink occasionally; but am still aware that vodka used to be my nemesis back in the early 80s. Actually, my liver has probably recovered from all the damage I subjected it to back in my (rather stupid) youth; but for awhile there it was "Situation in Doubt."